building a home bar

PaattMaann

Im turning my back room (that used to be a garage but was converted by the funny previous owner into a hair salon) into a bar/lounge/man cave area.....I am planning on building my own bar for the room....

plan is right now for it run along one entire wall, 11 and a half foot total, 8 foot section, 2 foot section with a foot and a half bar top that hinges up for passage through the bar..

anyone have experience in doing this? any tips or advice?

Thanks!

wine cooler would be good .

Wet sink?

ive got the water hook ups for a sink...it will be behind the bar (against the wall)

and I currently own a wine cooler, it will be underneath/behind the bar

good suggestions! keep em coming....(also ideas on HOW to implement these suggestions in a cost effective manner)

Where do you live?

Look for vacant taverns. You might be able to pick up a foot rail, bar, maybe even a back mirror or neon on the cheap. Might involve cutting down to size but a walnut bar that's seen years and years of use beats anything you can put together on your own.

bathroom is attached to the room already, success

no stripper pole, im going for "high end cigar bar" not "sleezy strip club"

there will be a long mirror behind the bar....not entire wall size though

juke box is good idea, but probably out of my price range

bathroom is attached to the room already, success

no stripper pole, im going for "high end cigar bar" not "sleezy strip club"

there will be a long mirror behind the bar....not entire wall size though

juke box is good idea, but probably out of my price range

So stick with "high end" strippers, and yes the pole would be a good focal point/conversation piece, if nothing else!

You never know, one or more of your guests may have talent you were unaware of. I'll bet someone will want to try it out.

I do not say this to mean spirited..but i know 3 gents that put a bar in their basement..they all wish they had used the space for something else. Seems like a great idea, but in practicality it is something that once the first year novelty wears off, gets very little use. Could be just that we are all old than dirt as well :w00t:

I do not say this to mean spirited..but i know 3 gents that put a bar in their basement..they all wish they had used the space for something else. Seems like a great idea, but in practicality it is something that once the first year novelty wears off, gets very little use. Could be just that we are all old than dirt as well :w00t:

No I think a lot if it is that a bar/pub is a place to go socialize and people watch. I think only a major boozer puts a bar in their cellar/garage.

I have no other use the for the space but I completely undrestand...Ive been thinking of that the past couple of days...however, we do host a lot of social gatherings amongst our friends, and it would make the separation of men and women that always occurs easier to accommodate with two areas for us to gather (chicks in the living room and the guys in the bar/man cave)

and ive priced out the materials for the bar, and the actual bar itself will only cost me about 300 bucks to make...so if after two or three years im sick of the bar, I can just take it apart and put it the curb (or craigslist that biotch) - its not going to be drilled into the floor (it will be sturdy because of the L design and anchored into the wall into one place) so there wont be much work to take it down...

and my design for the room will be more of a "high end" man cave, with high table and chairs at the back of the room and two club chairs on the other side of the room, so it wont just be all about the actual bar...

I just did a project like this over the summer.... except outside. Ripped out an old deck, poured a stamped concrete patio, covered it and put a bar in. It's an L shaped, framed with 2x4, covered with plywood and then did cultured stone over it. I'd say in all, I have about $800 into the actual bar itself. I have a mini fridge and wine cooler in the backside. We entertain a lot in the summer so its great, plus with the TV out there now, I sit out there all the time in the summer, have dinner etc. Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with.

IMG_20120629_220844.jpg

I like what ya did there 5 Wide...I was thinkin of the stone front too, but its not gonna mesh with my idea and design, looks good with that area though

what did you do about joining the two pieces (im assuming) of the bar top? did you 45 them or just butt two pieces together? and what did you do about the top of the bar? urathane? apoxy?

The bar top is 3/4" plywood, butted together. I have two 2x4's underneath screwed in to keep it together where it meets. For the actual top, I ripped 1" thick planks of pine into 1.25" pieces, and tacked them in place which locked the whole top together. Used a propane torch to age the wood for effect. To coat it, I used famowood 2 part epoxy. It took a gallon to coat, and honestly, it probably needs another gallon to give the total smooth glass top look. The epoxy is self leveling which is nice, but its also a bit of a pain to get all the air bubbles out of and keep any dust/flies out of while it cures.

IMG_20120625_182602.jpg

Since I like to tinker, I basically built a workshop/refuge with everything I need. When I have friends over, we basically hang out in there. It's a finished concrete floor (think garage floor) and seating is adirondack chairs, office chairs, camping chairs, etc...The office chairs were on their way to Goodwill, but faux leather and casters is too good to pass up. Easy to clean sawdust off of and rolls like a dream. Here's a couple picks I had on my phone (was in the middle of a project, so it's a mess and the phone camera leaves a lot to be desired)

While a bar is nice, if you can combine the space with something else you enjoy, it may be worth your time. My buddy who homebrews basically has a mini-brewery and the way he set it up is about as comfortable a sany pub I've been in.

post-2988-0-80621100-1352525619_thumb.jpg

post-2988-0-33125400-1352525632_thumb.jpg

post-2988-0-46616500-1352525646_thumb.jpg

have to agree. we moved into a house with a very nice basement bar. haven't stocked it yet except put in a fridge full of pop and beer. our first big party there was still a jigsaw puzzle being worked on top of the bar. 4 of my friends asked when i was gonna make the bar functional. i said don't know and they answered don't bother. they all have bars and said for parties it's a hassle. even if the bar's stocked your moving things from where you usually have drinks to the bar and it gets little use other than parties. the fridge on the other hand, gets lots of use.

Since I like to tinker, I basically built a workshop/refuge with everything I need. When I have friends over, we basically hang out in there. It's a finished concrete floor (think garage floor) and seating is adirondack chairs, office chairs, camping chairs, etc...The office chairs were on their way to Goodwill, but faux leather and casters is too good to pass up. Easy to clean sawdust off of and rolls like a dream. Here's a couple picks I had on my phone (was in the middle of a project, so it's a mess and the phone camera leaves a lot to be desired)

While a bar is nice, if you can combine the space with something else you enjoy, it may be worth your time. My buddy who homebrews basically has a mini-brewery and the way he set it up is about as comfortable a sany pub I've been in.

I think your setup is ideal. It's really a homey looking shop. You go to do a project and you still have a TV. Good use of space IMHO. Building a space that's just a bar would never get used.

Really????? Everytime I see my inlaws come over I shoot right down to the bar in the basement & shut the door. I also use it on the weekends to watch sports & make a day out of it. I have 3 tvs down there & I love sitting there watching sports & making a day of it on a Saturday afternoon. With that being said I am degenerate gambler & I kind of have a slight drinking problem.

If you want to be a real man and so something constructive build yourself a smoker.

Really????? Everytime I see my inlaws come over I shoot right down to the bar in the basement & shut the door. I also use it on the weekends to watch sports & make a day out of it. I have 3 tvs down there & I love sitting there watching sports & making a day of it on a Saturday afternoon. With that being said I am degenerate gambler & I kind of have a slight drinking problem.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...