Fitzpatrick can't complete a pass in the air over 30 yards

I think the most puzzling thing is he's been able to do this in the past, with confidence and authority.

Why cant he do it this year?

Of all people, Marvin Lewis figured the Bills offense out last year in Week 4. It's been downhill offensively against the big boys since then.

We all know Fitz can't throw the medium or the long ball. Chan either refuses to take any risks and stays within Fitz capabilities or he's the one that's actually limited and can't find a way to work outside of the intended game plan. I don't know that the fans will ever know these answers but it sure is frustrating to watch.

Outside of Graham none of our WR's can get deep on a regular basis. And yes Fitz has horrible accuracy issues going deep. So wouldn't you say Gailey is coaching to the team's strength and away from it's weaknesses??? The only problem I have is that if you don't call some long passes and at least try a few the defense just squats at ten yards. There has to be a way to get over the top of them. Not knowing a dam thing, I would line up Graham in the slot or as part of a bunch formation so he has less of a chance to get jammed at the LOS. I would attack the deep middle. If Fitz has had any success on 20 + yard passes it has been down the seams as opposed to outside.

I think the most puzzling thing is he's been able to do this in the past, with confidence and authority.

I've been asking the same thing. How did he go so bad. At least he was mediocre before!

The thing that I keep going back to is that I never see him step into his throws. He throws off his back foot when he has no need to (no pressure). He seems to have to then heave the ball with all he's got.

They talked all spring and summer about the new coach (Lee?) working on his footwork. Could he have totally messed him up? Like how people get golf lessons and then get worse by overthinking?

I would agree that Fitz isn't a surgeon with the deep ball but I really think 50% of the problem this year is that the deep ball play isn't called.

I would rather see missed deep throws than none at all.

Problem is...The reason they are not called is because the misses with Fitz deep often end with an INT...His tendency is to under-throw more than overthrow...That spells trouble... B-)

Bottom line, it's been over for quite some time. I will be absolutely disgusted if Fitz starts week 1 next year.

I'll see that and raise you!

If Fitz is starting Week 1 next year, I will be done with this team. A quarter-century fan. Done! I'm tired of this stevestojan of sticking with limitations, sticking with a known mediocrity who doesn't have the tools and physically can't make the throws / arm is Kelly-Holcomb-shot, and rarely even trying to field a decent QB.

I did some outside chores today and missed the whole game. That has been unthinkable. But I was more than OK with it. Like 'Didn't get kicked in the nuts' OK.

I'll see that and raise you!

If Fitz is starting Week 1 next year, I will be done with this team. A quarter-century fan. Done! I'm tired of this stevestojan of sticking with limitations, sticking with a known mediocrity who doesn't have the tools and physically can't make the throws / arm is Kelly-Holcomb-shot, and rarely even trying to field a decent QB.

I did some outside chores today and missed the whole game. That has been unthinkable. But I was more than OK with it. Like 'Didn't get kicked in the nuts' OK.

yeeaahhhh, from a 40+ year fan, don't let the bandwagon run you over as you jump off. And thanks for leaving more room for real die hard fans. Real fans don't quit, they get just as frustrated but they don't quit!

yeeaahhhh, from a 40+ year fan, don't let the bandwagon run you over as you jump off. And thanks for leaving more room for real die hard fans. Real fans don't quit, they get just as frustrated but they don't quit!

I am with the fitzban James.........no team is worth watching w fitz as qb.....teams laugh at buff and dare fitz to pass week after week...it's a joke

Well a 25 year fan has obviously seen their fare share of crap and at this point why quit now, I get that thought. But honestly, if you've been a fan for that long, through all this crap, you have a right to quit in this team. They have on us year after year.

With that said, I will still buy my seasons next year no matter what.

Edited by mrags

Most back-ups can do it too. You see a back-up play good and you say to yourself "this guy is pretty good why is he a back-up?" Then you see other games where he's not good and you say "Oh yeah that's why he's a back-up."

Fitzpatrick is nothing more than a back-up quality QB. He'll play some really good games but then he'll give you 7-8 games a year where he stinks. Great QBs will give 1-2 bad performances a year. That's the difference the top QBs are consistent week after week. Just because Fitzpatrick can do it occassionally is no indication he can do it regularly.

Fitz isn't a great downfield passer by any means but my gosh, I NEVER see our WR's fight for a deep ball or go after it with everything they have. LAst night when Matt Ryan throws deep balls downfield, not always pretty...his WR's fight and come down with it. Now they have some elite athletes at WR unlike the Bills...so Fitz isn't the greatest and we have no elite talent to go after it. It's a 50/50 thing in my opinion...not just QB.

Fitz isn't a great downfield passer by any means but my gosh, I NEVER see our WR's fight for a deep ball or go after it with everything they have. LAst night when Matt Ryan throws deep balls downfield, not always pretty...his WR's fight and come down with it. Now they have some elite athletes at WR unlike the Bills...so Fitz isn't the greatest and we have no elite talent to go after it. It's a 50/50 thing in my opinion...not just QB.

Maybe it's cuz Fitz can't put the ball where they CAN fight for it. Our receivers aren't the problem, I've seen them wide open and Fitz can't get it to them. Stevie is trying hard to not show his frustration and I applaud him for it, but you can see that he knows he's getting open and not getting a catchable ball.

What about that 27 yard completion to Chandler? That was a bullet that even the announcer said barely changed trajectory. Granted, it's not the 50-60 yard bomb we are all clamoring for, but for the first time this season, I saw him throw a ball with some decent power. Why can't he do that more? That was a beauty of a throw. Its so frustrating knowing he has the arm to do that, yet when he goes to the sidelines, he floats everything.

What about that 27 yard completion to Chandler? That was a bullet that even the announcer said barely changed trajectory. Granted, it's not the 50-60 yard bomb we are all clamoring for, but for the first time this season, I saw him throw a ball with some decent power. Why can't he do that more? That was a beauty of a throw. Its so frustrating knowing he has the arm to do that, yet when he goes to the sidelines, he floats everything.

because, as previously mentioned, many QBs can do it once in awhile, but very few can do it game in and game out. he is not among those that can accomplish it regularly.

i think at times we like to think the oline is better than it is. fitz got mauled out there yesterday. he gets the ball out so quick they we miss alot of sacks. he took a beating out there yesterday. if we took more shots down the field those 10 knock downs turn into sacks.

fitz played well sunday, he was not the problem. sure we should have run more, but we held with a great team, and just got out played. reasonable loss