Have you ever been a hard-core fan of a team that actually won a Champ

Damian

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great thread.

only thing that even comes close to me was seeing tiger win the us open in 2008, draining that putt on 18 to force a playoff, on a bad knee.

that was probably the single best moment ive ever had as a sports fan. can remember everything about the moment, who was there, how we reacted, just the pure joy of the moment.

and if i had to rank, on a scale of 1-100, with 1 being the highest, my priorities in terms of who i want to win championships, its literally

1) bills

20ish) tiger woods

100) the new york knicks

i mean, just the thought of the bills winning the superbowl... its a part of who i am. im a bills fan. some people follow teams, but i AM a bills fan.

them winning would just be... i cant put it in words.

The New Jersey Devils. Also being 28 it's been amazing watching the career of one of the greatest goaltenders of all time, as well as several hall of fame defensemen. I think outside of championships when you can look back and say "My team had so and so who was one of if not the best at what he did" that's something to look fondly on. I'm a yankee fan but I lost my luster for baseball years ago, so I don't really count them. College football there's a few teams I watch regularly. Could care less about basketball. All in all though as much as I love my hockey team nothing will make me happier as a sports fan then the day The Bills win a superbowl.

First, a little background. I'm a native WNY'er that moved to NC back in '96, met a lovely Tarheel lass and was soon married. We were both passionate about our sports teams, for me it was the Bills, for her UNC men's basketball. We each adopted the other's team and became hard-core fans. Then came 2005 and the Tarheels won the NCAA basketball championship and it dawned upon me that this was the first in my life that a team I followed actually won a championship! It was if a weight had been lifted off of me! I was elated, walking around with a big grin for days afterwards, buying every Championship memorabilia I came across to cement the moment in my mind forever. Fast-forward to 2009 and the Tarheels win the Championship again. While I was very happy, it did not quite have that magical feeling as that first Championship.

I was wondering if any other fellow Bills fans have had this experience (I was only a toddler when the Bills won the AFL titles) while rooting for another team or are you still waiting for the Bills/Sabres to lift that weight from your shoulders?

LAKERS BABY!

I have a Syracuse diploma, and my daughter and her husband both have UConn diplomas. Big East Basketball!

(Except that UConn basketball is in the toilet for the foreseeable future, and Syracuse is leaving the Big East}

Even though most people would say it doesn't count, I also follow UConn women's basketball. They are a lot of fun to watch, since they beat almost everybody they play by huge margins (except for the two or three other dominant teams in women's bball).

Bills

Sabres (penguins close second)

Pirates

My Dad is a big Pittsburgh Sports Fan, and when the Pirates were playing the Orioles in the, I belive 70/71

series, I was a huge Orioles fan, Boog,Palmer later, etc..My Dad was mad as hell when they lost the first

two games he was not happy and apparently my rooting for the orioles was really grating on him.

So he told me he would give me $5.00 for every game the Pirates won after the first two. Wa La instant

Pirate Fan, and they came back and won the series, and again in 79, by that time we had moved to Pittsburgh,

I became a huge fan especially Clemente and got to see him play a bunch, an actually attended a 79 world

series game. The 79 one was much more impactfull, but I was old enough (barely) to remeber the 64 and

65 AFL Bills Championships, remeber yes, comprehend, eh not so much.

Was happy to see penguins win three cups, but make no mistake about it, if and when the Bills reach the pinnacle,

I will probably wet myself with glee.

Edited by Tu-Toned

'86 Mets, '03 Orange.

Also the '83, '87 and '96 Amerks. Laugh if you want. Those championships felt damn good.

I agree with the posters who said Syracuse's win felt odd. I think we would have enjoyed '87 more. Just like I feel that even when/if the Bills and/or Sabres finally do win it all, it won't be as magical as if it had happened in the '90s when it was supposed to. Those kinds of scars just never leave you.

'86 Mets, '03 Orange.

Also the '83, '87 and '96 Amerks. Laugh if you want. Those championships felt damn good.

I agree with the posters who said Syracuse's win felt odd. I think we would have enjoyed '87 more. Just like I feel that even when/if the Bills and/or Sabres finally do win it all, it won't be as magical as if it had happened in the '90s when it was supposed to. Those kinds of scars just never leave you.

Translation: when/if the Bills and/or Sabres finally do win it all, it still won't be good enough.....

wth is that all about??

Never.

Outside of the Bills, I am a die-hard UCLA basketball fanatic. My freshman year at UCLA was 1997. I attended every home game from '97-'02. Our last championship was in 1995, when I lived in Buffalo and UCLA wasn't even on my radar. Since I've been a fan, we've been to the Final Four three times (three straight years) and lost them all. Now were mired in mediocrity under the guidance of an inept athletic director (sound familiar, Bills fans?).

The Bills, Sabres and UCLA Bruins (b-ball and football) are the only teams I have a legitimate rooting interest in. Given the state of things, I doubt I'll ever experience the ecstacy of a championship.

I had a good run in the 80s

Celtics '81, '84, '86

Orioles '83

(I stopped watching the NBA so I can't count the most recent Celtics championship)

And then I had a 20 year drought until...

Syracuse (basketball) 2003