Have you ever been a hard-core fan of a team that actually won a Champ

Damian

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada, so that pretty much dictates you are a Rider fan (CFL). However, I'm not a huge CFL guy, so the Bills have been my football team. I have a pretty diverse list of teams, geographically speaking:

Bills - started to cheer for them when I was 12, in 1979.

Lakers (my Dad is a huge Celtics fan)

Orioles - this year was a great ride

Hurricanes - I became a Whalers fan when they came into the league in 1980 because everyone around here was Canadiens, Leafs or Bruins, who I hate.

Michigan is my favourite college, though I always wanted to coach football at USC (weather and cheerleaders may have something to do with that).

So I have championships from the Riders, Lakers, Orioles and Canes. Michigan shared one in the Griese years, but that was like kissing your sister.

Edited by Marauder24

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2006 Cardinals Went to Game 6

2011 Cardinals Went to Game 7, my buddy got hit with David Murphy's ground rule double and got the ball...it was Chris Carpenters last pitch of the game. He was sitting in my seat after I had to take a leak....still makes me mad...lol. And to top it all of I was national TV looking scared for my life (I'm far left in the white hat, my buddy is to the right of the foul poll in the red hat. He just got smoked in the stomach with the ball......

414261_576711385057_752213734_o.jpg

and of course.....

2012 Cardinals!!!!!!!! Let's Go Birds!!!!!!

The Braves got me on the board in 1995! Although I was only 11 years old at the time I remember it being sweet because my best friend was an Indians fan.

My first championship during my adult life was the Penguins in 2009! I'm sure I'll get a lot of hate about that on this board. I never watched hockey until I went away to college, which happened to be just north of Pittsburgh, and of course every Penguins game was always on TV, thus I became a Pens fan starting in roughly 2002.

I'm still waiting on the Bills to win a Super Bowl and the Purdue Boilermakers to pull out either a NCAA football or basketball championship. It appears as though I'll be waiting a long time.

Bills

Sabres

Athletics

I can barely remember the A's win over the Giants in the battle of the bay, but would hardly call myself a hardcore fan at that point. So, in short, no for hardcore teams I love.

Teams I like though, Ohio State, UNC, Bulls, all yes but not as satisifying as it would be for the other 3.

'86 Mets, '94 Rangers (root for Sabres now, though), '03 Orange, '86 Giants (Most the family were Giants fans back then.. obviously, I root for the Bills now.. since '89, anyways.)

I have many, many more Championship Game DEFEATS, though..

Mets in 2000

Knicks in 94 and 98

Orange in 87 and 96

Sabres in 99

Bills from 90-93

First, a little background. I'm a native WNY'er that moved to NC back in '96, met a lovely Tarheel lass and was soon married. We were both passionate about our sports teams, for me it was the Bills, for her UNC men's basketball. We each adopted the other's team and became hard-core fans. Then came 2005 and the Tarheels won the NCAA basketball championship and it dawned upon me that this was the first in my life that a team I followed actually won a championship! It was if a weight had been lifted off of me! I was elated, walking around with a big grin for days afterwards, buying every Championship memorabilia I came across to cement the moment in my mind forever. Fast-forward to 2009 and the Tarheels win the Championship again. While I was very happy, it did not quite have that magical feeling as that first Championship.

I was wondering if any other fellow Bills fans have had this experience (I was only a toddler when the Bills won the AFL titles) while rooting for another team or are you still waiting for the Bills/Sabres to lift that weight from your shoulders?

The Bruins (hate away) hadn't won in my lifetime, but luckily 2 years ago I got "my" first ever fan championship win...

The Mets and the Bills are my other teams, which have given me plenty of misery over the years...

Prior to that, all the teams had made it to the finals, and all lost. 0-6 during my fandom...

I'm also a Suns fan to a lesser degree

Edited by Turbosrrgood

2012 Cardinals!!!!!!!! Let's Go Birds!!!!!!

Indeed. Go Cardinals! 12 in '12!

MLB: Cardinals (I've seen them win and lose a few World Series in my 35 years)

NHL: St. Louis Blues (started following them in the Hull and Oates days once we moved into town and got cable TV!)

NFL: Bills (never liked the "Big Red" St. Louis Cardinals football or the Bears or the Colts; just jumped on the Bills bandwagon about the time Kelly's first year with the team.)

I really enjoy it when the Cardinals win the World Series. However, it pales in comparison to my passion for Buffalo Bills football. I would easily trade-in a Cardinals championship or two just for one Bills Super Bowl win. I honestly won't die a happy man until the Bills bring home the Lombardi Trophy at least one time.

Football: Buffalo Bills

Hockey: Buffalo Sabres

NBA: Boston Celtics

Baseball: Montreal Expos

Only the Celtics have ever given me the joy of pulling for a team, start to finish, and winning it all. As a Buffalo kid growing up in the 70's, I loved the Buffalo Braves, and loathed the Celtics. My older brother (9 years older than me) was a big Celtics fan, before there was a Buffalo Braves. We fought constantly (though, to his credit, my brother always rooted for the Braves too!)....when the Braves left for San Diego, I was crushed. As a kid, basketball was my favorite sport to play, so, conversely, the Braves/NBA was my favorite sport (though Bills were very close)...I tried for a season to be a Clippers fan, but in those days, it was almost impossible to follow a west-coast basketball team on the east coast. It was a perfect storm in 1980...the Braves were gone, my family got cable, Larry Bird was the new kid on the NBA block...the only NBA team you could follow regualarly was the Boston Celtics, so I sold my sould to the devil, and adopted the Celtics. My brother was happy! And, I had the pleasure of watching one of the greatest teams in basketball history, for about 4 years, win a couple of titles...it was exillerating. Some of the funnest days of my youth...long before the days of the internet, being the geek that I was, I used to key in on a different Celtics player every night, and keep my own "unofficial stats". You just couldn't find that stuff (up to date anyway) easily back then. It was awesome!

I really loved the 2008 Celtics championship run too...but I have to say (and maybe this is an age thing) the thing that was so remarkable about that, was how little resonance it really had. I enjoyed the hell out of it...sitting in my living room in the middle of hot-ass Texas, watching KG and Company shock the Lakers! IIRC, it was a Tuesday or Wednesday night....by 11:30pm that night, after watching some post-game interviews, I was already in bed, worrying about waking up for work...next day, ESPN was already talking about next season, and who the team to beat was, blah, blah, blah...

Believe me, I can think of few things that would get me as worked up as the Bills, or Sabres, winning a championship...but I always wonder, if it happnend if it would mean as much to me as winning one back in "the day" when everything seemed to have more meaning.

btw- I don't really follow baseball much any more....if somebody held a gun to my head and made me pick a team, it would likely be the Yankees...for no other reason than the fact that most of my friends and family, who are baseball fans, pull for the Yanks. It is fun to see them win...but I don't live or die with them.

I do however absolutely refuse, to be a fan of a team just because they win frequently, that is so f---king lame. Band wagon fans might be the biggest pet peeve I have ever had, especially when someone throws the Steelers or Cowboys in your face, and you know for a fact that they have never even been to the state those teams are from, and a few years earlier were fans of different team-who was winning then. Those types of wannabe fans are the lowest scum on the earth.

Funny how you never hear of anyone being a Seahawks-Nets-Royals fan, but there much be thousands of Cowboys-Lakers-Yankees fans. :lol:

Those are my top 3 as well... :wallbash:

But I am a Celtics fan, so there have been a few there. I love watching college sports and used to follow teams, but I really don't have a favorite team anymore. When my college team won or lost, it was like...meh, no big deal. And when they won, even the national championship, it was just an ok feeling. If I attended the school it would be different. So, I follow local teams like UB closer than any other college team, but I'll always watch a good game and actually enjoy it more without a vested interest...

Definitely. Thats me to a "T" as far as college goes. Probably my favorite thing to watch, but I dont have a big rooting interest. Teams I hate, and teams I like. Some are interchangeable depending on the year. Also love gambling on it.

Heading to the West Virginia/Kansas State game

I root for UB though. If they were ever on the National Stage I would be pretty vested.

I do remember the Bills winning in the 60's. That was fun. Moved to Colorado many years ago and still root for the Bills and Sabres (not the Broncos or Avs) Seeing everyone here go crazy for the Stanley Cup(s) and Super Bowl(s) was fun. And although they aren't very good right now, after graduating from the University of Colorado and then seeing them win the National Championship in 1990 was a complete and total joy ride.

Football: Buffalo Bills

Hockey: Buffalo Sabres

NBA: Boston Celtics

Baseball: Montreal Expos

Only the Celtics have ever given me the joy of pulling for a team, start to finish, and winning it all. As a Buffalo kid growing up in the 70's, I loved the Buffalo Braves, and loathed the Celtics. My older brother (9 years older than me) was a big Celtics fan, before there was a Buffalo Braves. We fought constantly (though, to his credit, my brother always rooted for the Braves too!)....when the Braves left for San Diego, I was crushed. As a kid, basketball was my favorite sport to play, so, conversely, the Braves/NBA was my favorite sport (though Bills were very close)...I tried for a season to be a Clippers fan, but in those days, it was almost impossible to follow a west-coast basketball team on the east coast. It was a perfect storm in 1980...the Braves were gone, my family got cable, Larry Bird was the new kid on the NBA block...the only NBA team you could follow regualarly was the Boston Celtics, so I sold my sould to the devil, and adopted the Celtics. My brother was happy! And, I had the pleasure of watching one of the greatest teams in basketball history, for about 4 years, win a couple of titles...it was exillerating. Some of the funnest days of my youth...long before the days of the internet, being the geek that I was, I used to key in on a different Celtics player every night, and keep my own "unofficial stats". You just couldn't find that stuff (up to date anyway) easily back then. It was awesome!

I really loved the 2008 Celtics championship run too...but I have to say (and maybe this is an age thing) the thing that was so remarkable about that, was how little resonance it really had. I enjoyed the hell out of it...sitting in my living room in the middle of hot-ass Texas, watching KG and Company shock the Lakers! IIRC, it was a Tuesday or Wednesday night....by 11:30pm that night, after watching some post-game interviews, I was already in bed, worrying about waking up for work...next day, ESPN was already talking about next season, and who the team to beat was, blah, blah, blah...

Believe me, I can think of few things that would get me as worked up as the Bills, or Sabres, winning a championship...but I always wonder, if it happnend if it would mean as much to me as winning one back in "the day" when everything seemed to have more meaning.

btw- I don't really follow baseball much any more....if somebody held a gun to my head and made me pick a team, it would likely be the Yankees...for no other reason than the fact that most of my friends and family, who are baseball fans, pull for the Yanks. It is fun to see them win...but I don't live or die with them.

iirc, didn't like half of the Braves go to the Celtics when they swapped owners?

Yankees. Growing up in B-lo, the Yankees were always on TV, so I became a fan. Went to see the Yankees at Cle and at Tor. Was a fan starting in the early 80s...1996 was pretty sweet...first team I rooted for with a title that I saw....still waiting on Bills and Sabres.

I root for UB though. If they were ever on the National Stage I would be pretty vested.

I did go to the International Bowl and several games that season, it was a great ride and so much fun...

Edited by ricojes

I did go to the International Bowl and several games that season, it was a great ride and so much fun...

I watched most of the games that season and it was awesome. I still catch them when I can (and going next weekend vs Toledo)....

But if it were ever 'serious' (perrennial MAC contenders or BCS Conference), I would go out of my way to catch every game.

I wonder sometimes that if the Bills leave, if there would be a surge of support for UB and it would propel the program into at least the Big East

Funny how you never hear of anyone being a Seahawks-Nets-Royals fan, but there much be thousands of Cowboys-Lakers-Yankees fans. :lol:

I've got a buddy, I kid you not, he's a Yankees and Patriots fan. Yankees. And. Patriots. That's a critical mass of douche. That's like an entire planet comprised entirely of douche in all its forms, solid, liquid and gas. It's douche cubed.

He claims to be a lifelong fan of both. He might be, he might not be. But one thing I've noticed in recent years: Nothing brings out the "lifelong fans, even when their team was terrible" like a hugely successful decade.

Edited by jimmyo