Have you ever been a hard-core fan of a team that actually won a Champ

Damian

Nope.

Bills

Sabres

Indians

Anything else I wouldnt take pride in

Those are my top 3 as well... :wallbash:

But I am a Celtics fan, so there have been a few there. I love watching college sports and used to follow teams, but I really don't have a favorite team anymore. When my college team won or lost, it was like...meh, no big deal. And when they won, even the national championship, it was just an ok feeling. If I attended the school it would be different. So, I follow local teams like UB closer than any other college team, but I'll always watch a good game and actually enjoy it more without a vested interest...

Edited by ricojes

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Syracuse Basketball. When they won the NCAA title, it was not the magical victory I thought it was going to be. I think it was because in college ball, the turnover of players is 2-3 years, unless you get a phenom freshmen. And there is less access to the players throug interviews, etc.

But it was cool to finally be on the winning side. Being a Bills and sabres fan, the pride comes from sticking with your (sad) franchise, not the actual organization's success.

One time in about 35-40 years of watching all 4 major sports has a team of mine won a Championship. The 1986 Mets (best baseball team ever) won, and I have been a Mets fan since about 1972. The Bills and Sabres may never win anything, and the way the Mets are going, they might never win again in my lifetime. I do however absolutely refuse, to be a fan of a team just because they win frequently, that is so f---king lame. Band wagon fans might be the biggest pet peeve I have ever had, especially when someone throws the Steelers or Cowboys in your face, and you know for a fact that they have never even been to the state those teams are from, and a few years earlier were fans of different team-who was winning then. Those types of wannabe fans are the lowest scum on the earth.

2003 Syracuse Bball. It was the oddest feeling in my life.

I also adopted the Pittsburgh Penguins when I moved to Pittsburgh, since I had never followed hockey before. The 2009 Stanley Cup too was surreal, and being able to celebrate with a victory parade was an experience I will never forget.

Such a foreign feeling when you're a Bills fan and are used to losing in unfathomable ways.

I support the Bills, Sabres, Mets, Liverpool F.C, Knicks, and MSU Spartans. I didnt start becoming a soccer fan until around 2008 and spartans fan until 2005, seeing as im 19 now no. I have not seen one of my teams win a championship. Almost all of my friends are Yankees fans and have. One day I hope to know what it truly feels like to have a championship team, I hope that team is the bills. Until then I will continue rooting for the depressing teams I do root for.

I attended UF from 2006-2010 and was fortunate enough to witness two football and one basketball championships during that stretch. My liver definitely still hates me for all the celebration festivities though...

For me a Bills Super Bowl win would mean more than all of those put together

Edited by LoyalToTheEnd

Growing up in Pittsburgh, I've rooted on a Penn State National Championship (as a teen), three Penguins Stanley Cups (as a teen and adult), and a Pirates World Series (as a kid). I was also on a hardcore NBA fan back in the day and loved the Celtics as part of the Larry-Magic era. I no longer even watch the NBA, so really, that doesn't count as hardcore!

But the one I want the most.......the Bills. Someday I hope.

It's happened for me with three teams:

Orioles in 70's-80's.

FSU Seminoles Football since '81 when I started school there. They choked a few potential titles away (had their own wide-right moment against Miami) but finally got it done.

Maryland Terrapins Basketball only - grew up in Maryland and was a fan of their hoops as a high-schooler and since. Finally got past Duke and UNC to win it all a few years back.

Unfortunately none of them is as near and dear to me as the Bills - not giving up though - maybe because of my FSU and Maryland experiences I am more comfortable being patient and knowing the Bills' time will come too.

I grew up in SW Florida, and have been a Gator fan for as long as I can remember. Since I was too young to remember the 1996 National Championship, my first major experience was the 2006 National Championship, and it was quickly followed up in 2008. Now that I am a student at the University of Florida, I think a National Championship this season would trump those others, just for me personally. I am keeping my fingers crossed this year, and needless to say, there is confidence in Gainesville this season, without a doubt!!!!

I am also a Yankee fan, but it is more of an expectation for them to win, rather than excitement when they actually do. But as for the Sabres and Bills, I am still waiting with everyone else. :thumbdown:

I've been a Blue Jays fan since I was a little kid in the 1980s. My dad went to school in Toronto, and I grew up in WNY so we vacationed in Canada every year. Started going to games in 1988 (I actually caught a foul ball at my very first game, Jays v. Twins, I was 10 years old), and have been a huge fan ever since. I was in high school when the Jays won back-to-back WS in `92 and `93, so that's been my only taste of my team winning it all. Both the Bills and Jays were amazing in the early 90s, and have not done very much since then. So it's been a long dry spell for me both in baseball and football, my two favorite sports.

Since my dad was in Toronto back in the NHL's Original Six days, I'm also a Leafs fan by birth, though not really hardcore. The fact that the Leafs haven't done squat since well before I was born helps, so we just won't talk about that. :)

I was working at Duke when Duke men's basketball won it all back in 2010, so that was kind of fun to be a part of, but not the same since I'm not really a hardcore basketball fan.

Edited by jimmyo

Florida Gators.......- we have several

Chicago Bulls-----well you know we have

Chicago Whitesox- Finally won one and then sold the players away

The Bills........are the only winless team I have left.

From Virginia....born and raised......we don't have a team so I grew up liking certain players that turned me on to different teams.......Gators because I like the offense they ran in early 90s

Bulls.....MJ nuff said

Whitesox because of the Big Hurt

and the Bills.......because of Thurmos.

I have seen only 1 of my teams win a title. The Syracuse Orangeman B-ball team. It was an amazing feeling because I knew how bad my teams have been in every other team/sport I have pulled for.

Bills

Sabres

Cuse Bball

ND Football

Orioles Baseball (I'm not a big baseball fan but their affilitation with the Rochester Redwings did it for me)

I don't count pro basketball because growing up I liked the Chicago Bulls and Michael Jordan (Didn't everyone though...kind of America's bandwagon team at that time)

Needless to say a championship out of the Bills would be #1 on my list with the Sabres number 2. I would love to see Notre Dame Football contend as well.