Have you ever been a hard-core fan of a team that actually won a Champ

Damian

First, a little background. I'm a native WNY'er that moved to NC back in '96, met a lovely Tarheel lass and was soon married. We were both passionate about our sports teams, for me it was the Bills, for her UNC men's basketball. We each adopted the other's team and became hard-core fans. Then came 2005 and the Tarheels won the NCAA basketball championship and it dawned upon me that this was the first in my life that a team I followed actually won a championship! It was if a weight had been lifted off of me! I was elated, walking around with a big grin for days afterwards, buying every Championship memorabilia I came across to cement the moment in my mind forever. Fast-forward to 2009 and the Tarheels win the Championship again. While I was very happy, it did not quite have that magical feeling as that first Championship.

I was wondering if any other fellow Bills fans have had this experience (I was only a toddler when the Bills won the AFL titles) while rooting for another team or are you still waiting for the Bills/Sabres to lift that weight from your shoulders?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan. Growing up as a fan of both them and the Bills was agonizing. My grandfather was born in 1923 and died in 2002, and lived his entire life never having seen his team win a championship.

When the Sox finally won in 2004 it was surreal. My emotions went absolutely crazy, and I was actually literally brought to tears by a combination of joy and memories of watching games with my grandfather.

I was engaged to a Tarheel lass when they won in '93....other than that just the '86 Mets and '88 Fighting Irish.

Since it'll never happen again, now I just content myself with rooting against teams like the Pats and Yankees from winning championships.

Edited by KD in CT

Growing up, I didn't have a home team in any major sports when I started taking interest. Since I started watching all the sports in the late 80's or so, I ended up choosing the Dodgers, Lakers and Bills. Dodgers because they had a scrappy high character, fun team. Lakers (Magic, no more needs to be said), and then I was fascinated by the Bills, fun games to watch plus awesome snow and what looked like really fun fans.

So, I stuck with all of them, and here I am. Dodgers haven't won since I took interest, the same for the Bills (no matter the jokes, I consider the 4 in a row to be a success)... the Lakers though, have been crazy amazing in the 2000s.

I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan. Growing up as a fan of both them and the Bills was agonizing. My grandfather was born in 1923 and died in 2002, and lived his entire life never having seen his team win a championship.

When the Sox finally won in 2004 it was surreal. My emotions went absolutely crazy, and I was actually literally brought to tears by a combination of joy and memories of watching games with my grandfather.

What a deal to be down 3-0 against the Yankees and come back and win in that fashion, that guy stealing second base in the ninth with Mariano Rivera on the mound and I believe the Yankees two outs away from the win! I was actually happy for the Sox in a way! Must of been a good day to be a Sox fan! Edited by Buffalo 66

Also a die-hard Red-Sox fan. Born in RI and live in Boston now. There is truly nothing like it. Was in the stands game 7 vs the Yankees in 04 and I can honestly say (i'm not married yet) it was the best night of my life. That of course is take with a little grain of salt but as die-hard sports fans know.. that night was surreal in every sense of the word.

Lakers - because of magic too

Yankees - Italian and all of my extended family is yanks fans

Bills - moms family is from olean

Yeah I have enjoyed many a championship but I don't think any of them will compare to the bills winning the super bowl.

As an aside I use to get called a bandwagon fan all the time - until people found out I was a bills fan.., and then they just felt bad for me lol

Also a die-hard Red-Sox fan. Born in RI and live in Boston now. There is truly nothing like it. Was in the stands game 7 vs the Yankees in 04 and I can honestly say (i'm not married yet) it was the best night of my life. That of course is take with a little grain of salt but as die-hard sports fans know.. that night was surreal in every sense of the word.

Have a thing against pre- marital sex do you?

Buffalo Bills---close but no cigar

UNC Tarheels---all day every day

SF Giants-----champs recently

Dallas Mavs-----Dirk for MVP of the world.....should have 2 titles.....robbed in 2006 by shady refs and phantom calls on D Wade

Mavs and Bills were so similiar for a while til they broke thru......my fave championship by far....until Buffalo comes through one day.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I've been a Phillies fan for most of my life. Them and the Bills are two of the worst franchises - in terms of winning - in their respective leagues. The Phillies were the first professional sports team with 10,000 losses. Rooting for them and the Bills has been an exercise in frustration for the most part. So hell yeah, it was amazingly satisfying seeing them win a title in 2008 after decades of futility. I had tears in my eyes, a million texts and calls from friends none of whom are Philly fans but they know how important it was to me. It was great.

Even these past few years (until this year) have been great. Sure they haven't come up with another title but it's a lot more fun seeing a team win on a consistent basis than it is to always be uttering "wait till next year."

First, a little background. I'm a native WNY'er that moved to NC back in '96, met a lovely Tarheel lass and was soon married. We were both passionate about our sports teams, for me it was the Bills, for her UNC men's basketball. We each adopted the other's team and became hard-core fans. Then came 2005 and the Tarheels won the NCAA basketball championship and it dawned upon me that this was the first in my life that a team I followed actually won a championship! It was if a weight had been lifted off of me! I was elated, walking around with a big grin for days afterwards, buying every Championship memorabilia I came across to cement the moment in my mind forever. Fast-forward to 2009 and the Tarheels win the Championship again. While I was very happy, it did not quite have that magical feeling as that first Championship.

I was wondering if any other fellow Bills fans have had this experience (I was only a toddler when the Bills won the AFL titles) while rooting for another team or are you still waiting for the Bills/Sabres to lift that weight from your shoulders?

I'm a Celtics fan.

I grew up in LA as HUGE Dodgers and Lakers Fan...Baseball was my sport, so I enjoyed seeing my Boys in Blue win it all in 81, and 88...I was a big-time Magic Johnson Fan...So that era was awesome...I'm also a Michigan Football Fan and of course they shared the 97 Title...

But saying all that I've had a hell of a dry spell...And I've always been a bigger Bills Fan than any of my other Teams...So it hurts a little more I guess... :cry:

I went to grad school at Kansas and became a Jayhawks fan, and experienced a huge rush when they won NCAA basketball titles in the 80s and a few years ago--plus many disappointments when they failed in teh tournament. But they are always a contender.

While out there I became a big fan of the KC Royals. I suffered when they lost three consecutive years in the 1970s to the Yankees in the playoffs, then lost the World Series in 1980 to the Phillies (I went to one of the games) but finally had the pleasure of seeing them come back from being doen three games to one (the first team ever to do this after having lost the first two games at home) to beat the Card in the 1985 World Series.

Finally, I teach at NC State and followed Jim Valvano's basketball team through the magical 1983 NCAA tournament run ending with them upsetting Houston to win the title on the last second dunk by Lorenzo Charles.

None of these could compare, however, to what I'd feel if the Bills were finally to win a Super Bowl. I'm not holding my breath.

Duke Basketball, had an uncle that would always want to watch UNC despite me watching other things and tell us how good they are, and they're a really well coached team. Plus, hearing many inside stories about Dean Smith - cheating mofo.

Iowa Wrestling, attended many camps there, wrestled against many from the school, amazing program.

Yankees, I'm from NY not Toronto, so that left two teams and I am not a homo so I chose the Yankees. When moved to Ohio the Indians and Tigers were not far but they sucked.

Dale Earnhardt, I had met him a few times as a kid, and Chocolate Myers, and Richard Childress...others, too. Toured his shops a few times. Even played with his hunting dogs.

tOSU, eff Michigan.

Edited by jboyst62

Grew up in SoCal, and my teams were the Angels, Lakers and Rams.

Showing my age, my first championship experience was the Jerry West/Wilt Chamberlin Lakers in the early 1970s. I remember listening to it on the raido and running outside to let out a big holler. All of the lakers championships after that one pale in comparison.

I moved to Buffalo in 1990, and it was easy to adopt the Bills since the Rams moved to StL and it was the first championship season for the Bills.

I got pretty excited about the Angels first championship in 2002 too.

If the Bills win one in my lifetime, I think it will eclipse that first Lakers' one.