A 4:00 offense - why haven't we had one in so long?

While your 2:00 offense is trying to put points on the board in a hurry, your 4:00 offense is trying to do just the opposite - milk the clock and keep the ball out of the other team's hands to protect a lead.

All jokes about not having leads to protect aside, It's something the Bills haven't had in a long time. The ability to run the clock and get first downs, usually on the ground and when the other team knows it's coming, is what elevates a team from average to above average.

So why can't the Bills do it?

Is it O-Line? I don't think so - the OL (especially the interior) are very capable run blockers.

Is it coaching? Are we not smart enough to design/call/execute plays to make runs effective (and stay inbounds) against a stacked box? It's pretty basic stuff so I'm not sure that's it.

Do we need a bigger RB? This is possible. When we spread out a defense with WRs and the threat of the throw is there we seem to get lanes for our shifty backs to run between the tackles but when teams know we're going to run they seem to get bottled up.

Discuss...

They frickin had it. It was working quite nicely, until Gailey decided to go for it all and try to "put it away" with a long pass by the guy who hasn't thrown any passes all year. Here's a clue for you, Gailey: the way to "put it away" is to keep running the ball the way you were doing and eat the rest of the clock.

It's not just this last game tho. It just seems that more often than not, when we do get a late lead that's less than 16 points and we want to just kill the clock, we go three and out with at least one sack and/or incompletion and/or penalty and we give the ball back and have to play defense to win. Like the Philly/Oakland games last year.

Makes me cranky.

Actually I was considering another couple of options:

Conditioning - is the O Line just too gassed at the end of games?

Effort/Wanna - do they have the right attitude to do what it takes to dominate?

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

While your 2:00 offense is trying to put points on the board in a hurry, your 4:00 offense is trying to do just the opposite - milk the clock and keep the ball out of the other team's hands to protect a lead.

All jokes about not having leads to protect aside, It's something the Bills haven't had in a long time. The ability to run the clock and get first downs, usually on the ground and when the other team knows it's coming, is what elevates a team from average to above average.

Is it O-Line? I don't think so - the OL (especially the interior) are very capable run blockers.

Is it coaching? Are we not smart enough to design/call/execute plays to make runs effective (and stay inbounds) against a stacked box? It's pretty basic stuff so I'm not sure that's it.

Do we need a bigger RB? This is possible. When we spread out a defense with WRs and the threat of the throw is there we seem to get lanes for our shifty backs to run between the tackles but when teams know we're going to run they seem to get bottled up.

Discuss...

Ya we know it works . Just show Chan & company the Bills /Giants SB video & he can see how a good run game can slow down a good passing offense , the proof is in the pudding !!

Yeah, that has bothered me for quite some time. No lead seems to be safe because of it, and we can't seem to stop other " 2:00 offenses "

Mentioned this a few times, scares the hell out of me.

Freddie can pound it but the play calling won't allow it! (god forbid we run it with 2 TE's that can block)

Discuss...

Jay, I could be mistaken, I thought we did a 4 minute offense pretty well against KC and to some degree against the Browns.

Discuss...

Easy answer. QB. It comes down to 3rd downs. Often 3rd and long. Our QBs have been failures in 3rd and longs since jimbo

Is McIntyre incapable of running?

I don't know if he can run with the ball or not but he sure can run without it. Being at the last two games, it's amazing how much respect he gets when he's on coverage teams. Players on the other side basically move out of his way to avoid getting destroyed. CMac is one of the best special teams big guys I've ever seen. He is fast though I can't speak for his running instincts.

I do however believe he can catch the ball well. Do you remember that catch he made up the left sidelines in the preseason? He totally plucked the overthrown pass. Last week following Jay Feely's 61 yard FG, Feely clanged the kickoff off the cross bar and CMac nonchalantly reached out and plucked the carom out of the air. I think he's got excellent hands.

I wish they would give him the ball from scrimmage once or twice per game, either run or catch.

Also I wanted the Bills to sign Mike Tolbert/Cedric Benson/Michael Bush this past offseason so we could have a power back on the roster although Freddy did a real nice job on Sunday getting the tough yards.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Jay, I could be mistaken, I thought we did a 4 minute offense pretty well against KC and to some degree against the Browns.

You kinda are :)

We did it twice against KC. Got the ball with 6:26 left and a 35-10 lead. 3-and-outed to give them the ball with 4:01 left. They scored. We got the ball with 1:10 left, and 3-and-outed. Granted the game was way out of hand and this was our 3rd team O, but still.

We did it twice against Cleveland. 10 point lead. Got the ball with 6:03 left. 3-and-outed to give them the ball with 4:59 left, and a penalty put it on our 42. Defense picked Weeden and the offense took over with 4:21 remaining. 3-and-outed again giving them the ball back with 2:37 remaining. Thankfully we picked Weeden again.

You kinda are :)

We did it twice against KC. Got the ball with 6:26 left and a 35-10 lead. 3-and-outed to give them the ball with 4:01 left. They scored. We got the ball with 1:10 left, and 3-and-outed. Granted the game was way out of hand and this was our 3rd team O, but still.

We did it twice against Cleveland. 10 point lead. Got the ball with 6:03 left. 3-and-outed to give them the ball with 4:59 left, and a penalty put it on our 42. Defense picked Weeden and the offense took over with 4:21 remaining. 3-and-outed again giving them the ball back with 2:37 remaining. Thankfully we picked Weeden again.

:wallbash: :wallbash:

The 4:00 offense was working to perfection. We had a couple of well placed passes and some good Fred runs. On 1st and 10 once we gave it to Fred 2 plays in a row and he got 7 and then 3. We had 2nd and 9 with 3:00 left on the 35. Cards were going to have to start calling time outs. Then it happened. The ole Wildcat trick play. Ended it right there. I have no idea why Coach Gailey thinks Smith can pass. Run the ball. Eat clock. Get fancy if you must way earlier in the game. Even if it had not been picked, but only incomplete we would have given the Cards a free timeout.

Edited by reddogblitz

Discuss...

We could have if we didn't have Smith throw deep in the stupid wild cat.

Last week they were on their way to a nice drive before that idiotic play.

Arizona:

-5:54 left. Fitz Incomplete. Short pass to FJ for 12 yards on first down for a new set of downs.

-FJ 7 yard run. FJ 3 yard run for a new set of downs.

-FJ 1 yard run and then the ill-conceived pass play from Brad Smith.

Everyone has a problem with the pass but why the hell was Smith in the game right then when FJ had picked up two first downs and was having success?

Against Cleveland :

- 6:03 left they tried running it 3 times with Choice but he gained 3 yards on each carry and had to punt on 4th and 1.

- 4:21 left they run Choice twice. He loses 2 yards on the first carry and gains 4 on the second. On 3rd Fitz scrambles for 7. 4th and 1 and another punt.

Can't fault Gaily in this game, they just didn't get the job done though not having FJ likely hurt.

Against KC:

- 6:26 left the run White 3 times for 9 yards. 4th and 1 they are forced to punt.

- 1:10 left. They kneel with Thigpen for -1 yard and then run White twice for 2 yards and have to punt on 4th and 9 with 50 seconds left on the clock.

Again not having FJ likely hurt in this one again though I have to scratch my head as to why Gaily is kneeling the ball with 1:10 on the clock and KC has 3 timeouts left. Sure the Bills were up big and it didn't matter but I'm not sure why you wouldn't run the ball 3 times in this instance. It's almost like Gaily was going to kneel the game out and then realized that KC had all their time outs and wasn't just going to give up.

I'd say our biggest problem in the the Clev and KC games was the absence of Jackson. On three of the punts they had to do so on 4th and 1 with White and Choice running the ball.

Going further back:

Cinci last year - leading 20-13 we get the ball with 9:54 left. We 3-and-outed using up a whole 1:16. Cinci gets the ball and ties the game. We get the ball with 4:09 left and actually do get one first down on the first play but then sputtered killing only 2:10. Cinci gets the ball back with 1:48 left and marches down the field to kick the winning FG with no time left.

Detroit in 2010 - leading 14-6 we get the ball with 5:45 left. We got one first down but then sputtered killing only 2:00. Detroit scores on their drive, forcing us to defend a 2 point conversion and onside kick to preserve our first win of that season.

Miami in 2010 - leading 17-14 we got the ball with 6:57 left. We got one first down but then sputtered killing only 2:17. Miami missed a potential game tying field goal. We got the ball with 1:48 left and 3-and-outed using only 57 seconds. Fortunately Miami fumbled on the last play.

Not to be all negative, here's one where we did get it right - against Cleveland in 2010 we ran Fred Jackson 9 straight times getting 51 yards to kill the last 3:51.