What's wrong with Chan Gailey

BillsFan130

Gues you missed the fact they were putting 8 or even 9 I the box. Was anyone paying attention?? I don't care how good your running game is bit you CAN'T run against that consistently. They were daring the Bulls to throw.

You can argue how well they executed the pass plays but the play calls weren't so bad

You got to persist with what was working...Spiller had 88 yards on 12 carries on that say 8-9 in the box. If he could rip of those big runs previously, why do we assume that he cannot do it now and yet we allow our mediocre QB to throw 32 times in the game.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

100% agree. I've never criticized play calling ever but the brad Smith pass was so so bad. Run out the clock.

I didn't see the game, but just saw a clip of that play. Lots of bad play design there, why did the play have 2 receivers (and therefore 2 DBs) running into the same part of the field. Seems like only Jones or Johnson should've been in the area. I like these kinds of plays and going for it, but we can't execute on the creativity

yea because jay feely missed a 38 yard field goal

Correction, it was tipped.

I will say that I agree with the horrible play calling in the final, most important minutes when we dialed up the pass by Smith. Really? That's when you chose to finally show a pass on tape for teams to take into consideration? We won the game, no matter if it was in spite of Chan, we won the game. I'm a happy Bills fan today for that fact.

Go Bills!!!

I don't care about any of that. I just watch the games and evaluate what I see.

I see a bad team. Particularly the QB. I expect that they will win some more games, and may "challenge" for a playoff spot, but there is nothing but heartbreak ahead for anyone that marries this trollop of a team.

Im struggling because I think they are a very good, young team. The most promise we have seen since this 12 year misery started. A couple more holes need to be plugged.

The problem as I see it is the coaching and QB play is holding the team back. Those are pretty important places to fall short.

I've been on the record as being a Gailey supporter.

No more.

His fourth quarter coaching should have cost Buffalo the game; Arizona simply blew it.

The wildcat call, wasting a time out before a 61-yard FG try, taking 2 full OT series to get the ball into Spiller's hands, taking Spiller out of the game on the final drive of the 4th quarter; the list goes on and on.

I've never seen a coach do the things he did yesterday and keep his job.

Win or lose, Gailey should be fired.

And that's coming from a supporter.

Gues you missed the fact they were putting 8 or even 9 I the box. Was anyone paying attention?? I don't care how good your running game is bit you CAN'T run against that consistently. They were daring the Bulls to throw.

You can argue how well they executed the pass plays but the play calls weren't so bad

You're not trying to score a TD there, you're trying to run time off the clock...there's 3 minutes left in the fourth quater, and your opponent has 3 time outs. 2 first downs wins the game...go to the wildcat, fine, but RUN out of the wildcat, don't have your 3rd string QB throw into double coverage on first down...that's what a team that doesn't believe it can get 2 first downs does.

And as was mentioned, Spiller was averaging 7 yards per carry against 9 in the box...what are we afraid of?

In spite of Chan, not because of Chan.

A W is a W. In the NFL, with all the injuries and turnovers and crazy week to week changes, how you win is not as important as whether you DO win. And the Bills are going to get healthier over the next 2-3 weeks. No big IR injuries through 6 games. Maybe we have a full team for the 2nd half of the season. If so, we will be fine. They have enough talent to compete will all the bottom 22 teams. Not the top 10 , but I take this team for this season. Yeah, yeah, need a QB, got it, but that ain't happening this year, so assume Fitz works on his accuracy over the bye, etc. and we re-tool with a healthy roster for the 2nd half. Titans game will be big, as I do not think we are competitive (yet) with Texans and Pats on the road, so those are two "L"'s right after the bye. Need to hit the bye 4 and 3. Somehow.

You can't put 8 in the box against the spread offense in wildcat formation. On that Brad Smith pick there were three WR's plus Fitz outside makes 4 and the FS makes 5 in coverage, 6 upfront.

That's getting way too cute Chan. I watched the same thing happen with the Jets last week, Sparano completely ruining the offensive momentum with overcoaching, unnecessarily complex changes and time outs.

These NFL coaches need to know when to just let their guys play the game, and call what's been working a little more. Every play doesn't have to be a surprise to the defense in order for it to work. Rely on execution more.........

The wildcat pass is on the bottom of my WTF Chan? list. My main gripe is that I have never seen a team coached in a tie ball game to try to get the other team to use all of their timeouts so they do not have any to use when they get the ball back on a potential game winning drive.

The Bills (If i recall correctly) Had 2 timeouts remaining. To me it shows a coach with no confidence in his QB, but he already said he is our guys and wont make the change.

We may have won, but I have never been more disgusted after a win that I can remember.

This win truly was a "Better to be lucky than good win"

Also let Mckelvin run the ball out of the End zone everytime. He is a dynamic returner. I like how Jeremy White puts it. "Risk Aversion"

Edited by CountDorkula

I had a dream the other day we celebrated the win for 15 mins before bitching and moaning.

lmao. i hear ya man. it was a good road win. first time this year our defense stepped up all game; we were able to run the ball effectively against a good defense; fitz didn't turn the ball over at all...great win considering that arizona had won 7 in a row at home?

Im struggling because I think they are a very good, young team. The most promise we have seen since this 12 year misery started. A couple more holes need to be plugged.

The problem as I see it is the coaching and QB play is holding the team back. Those are pretty important places to fall short.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/151292-the-defense-is-not-that-talented/?do=findComment&comment=2595119

Maybe young isn't the right adjective?

Correction, it was tipped.

I will say that I agree with the horrible play calling in the final, most important minutes when we dialed up the pass by Smith. Really? That's when you chose to finally show a pass on tape for teams to take into consideration? We won the game, no matter if it was in spite of Chan, we won the game. I'm a happy Bills fan today for that fact.

Go Bills!!!

Yup. Leaving aside the result of the play, even if it worked I don’t understand why he picked that moment to finally call a WC pass. We’ve watched Chan call runs out of the WC time and time again to the point where I was on board with the idea that he would lead teams to never ever expect a pass out of our WC—and then have a surprise play sitting in his pocket for when he really needs it. Why would he wait all that time only to call a WC pass at a moment when it was utterly unnecessary?

Yup. Leaving aside the result of the play, even if it worked I don’t understand why he picked that moment to finally call a WC pass. We’ve watched Chan call runs out of the WC time and time again to the point where I was on board with the idea that he would lead teams to never ever expect a pass out of our WC—and then have a surprise play sitting in his pocket for when he really needs it. Why would he wait all that time only to call a WC pass at a moment when it was utterly unnecessary?

Maybe not the best place to call that play but I'm glad they finally threw the ball out of the WC. Teams will have to think we just might throw it when we do line up in the WC. I would like to see Brad throw it more out of the WC. Maybe practice one or two routes so he throws it to a spot on the field.

Maybe not the best place to call that play but I'm glad they finally threw the ball out of the WC. Teams will have to think we just might throw it when we do line up in the WC. I would like to see Brad throw it more out of the WC. Maybe practice one or two routes so he throws it to a spot on the field.

Yeah, that play will strike fear in their hearts..

im not even close to calling for chans head but that was a really unacceptable play call at the end. while its true chan would have looked like a genius if it works, the risk is just too high relative to the reward - for exactly the reason we saw. bills had the chance to force a td drive with a late fg so a turnover is sooo costly there and not worth chancing

the instant i saw smith put the ball up and look downfield im like oh he is NOT going to really put this ball in the air, it must be a fake like statue of liberty handoff or some such s h i t. when he actually threw it i literally said out loud oh no and then bam its a pick

i was hoping Chan would just come out and admit the mistake but he didnt. he wants to keep trying that play and he should, just not in a do or die situation like that