I never saw this coming regarding Dareus's play....

Kipers Hair

Dareus, according to the football analytics site ProFootballFocus.com, is the lowest-rated of 77 defensive tackles, and last of all defensive tackles against the run.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297FUJa9d

Wow!? that's really surprising? He has flashed so the talent is there but maybe the death of his brother has really messed him up.

On a more positive note Randy Starks won AFC defensive player of the week!

Sorry couldn't help myself =)

So, how do you like my Quarterback?

He's a bust. I thought he was a stiff before we drafted him out of Alabama. Slow and stiff. Possibly worse than the Whitner draft, considering he went #3.

He rocked in College, did you even watch any of his games?

Wow!? that's really surprising? He has flashed so the talent is there but maybe the death of his brother has really messed him up.

Uhm...He's the lowest rated DT in the NFL. I don't think Peter King writes like Jerry Sullivan to sell papers and the simple fact is Marcell has sucked this year - excuse or not. If his psychological state is impairing his play, scratch him until he gets right. People have to stop denying there is a problem and deal with it....like the rest of our D, he is wildly underperforming.

Uhm...He's the lowest rated DT in the NFL. I don't think Peter King writes like Jerry Sullivan to sell papers and the simple fact is Marcell has sucked this year - excuse or not. If his psychological state is impairing his play, scratch him until he gets right. People have to stop denying there is a problem and deal with it....like the rest of our D, he is wildly underperforming.

This..maybe I give the guy a little pass cause of his age, but death or no death in the family he has a job to do. When my Mom, Dad, and brother each passed, i did not get a pass on my quota. I got " sorry to hear, take all the time you need, what is your committ for the month and quarter".

Thats how it works in any "production business" (Gailleys words).. Now i am not saying dide is a bust, they have all been in a funk...but they ALL have to play better.

Remember...... the guy is dealing with very recent tragedy in his family. There are no 'rules' for how one copes with those type of things. He may not be all that 'into' his job right now. I know he makes millions etc, but he is also human.

Agreed. He may be sideways for a while.

Just a bad fit so far this year. Maybe its his level of fitness, or he is struggling to fit in. Centers and guards are giving him fits.

Can he stop pulling his shirt down after every play, likes he's hiding his conditioning. Literally, every play.

I'm curious what they had him rated last year when everybody was singing his praises. He didn't just suddenly start sucking. Two things are different - 1) he's dealing with the death of his brother (i.e. his heart might not be into playing atm and I wouldn't blame him) and 2) New defensive scheme and coordinator.

I'd imagine it's a combination of the two. The guy is a talent and if he wants to be good he will be good. My guess is he turns it around at some point this season, I just hope it's not too late.

Bills are playing the same crap defense that Wanny was running last year

Bills are playing the same crap defense that Wanny was running last year

Other than his nickel and dime packages, there is nothing very similar at all.

Regardless of the fact they are two completely different schemes, in terms of how crappy they are playing, they couldn't be MORE alike.

GO BILLS!!!

Dareus, according to the football analytics site ProFootballFocus.com, is the lowest-rated of 77 defensive tackles, and last of all defensive tackles against the run.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz297FUJa9d

I don't think it's the players. I blame the lousy play on bad coaching philosophy which has now resulted in low confidence among the players. Send Darius to Bill Belichick and you would see how good a player he can be under a good coach

Look, right now the entire defense is struggling. I am not sure if it is poor coaching, a slump, or if just one or two guys are playing bad enough where the whole unit gets blamed. Personally I am not too worried about Dareus. Like the rest of the D so far this year, he has struggled at times too -- but he HAS shown flashes even this year. Mario -- well, that is a different story. Not sure Mario he is playing hurt, dogging it after the big payday -- or if he was simply overrated.

Getting back to Dareus, For anyone now claiming they did not like the pick last year, I think you are either being revisionistic (what will you say if/when Dareus turns it back around?) -- or are possibly a troll. One of his great strengths coming out of school was that he could play any DL position in any front. Last year he played inside and out in a 3-4. Could be that it is taking him awhile to adjust to playing the pure DT position in a 4-3. Also, the death of his brother may be playing a role.

He's a bust. I thought he was a stiff before we drafted him out of Alabama. Slow and stiff. Possibly worse than the Whitner draft, considering he went #3.

Slow and stiff? Really? Not at Alabama he wasn't...No way...

UGH!!! This kills me because the kid is my favorite Bills player...It just kills me...But... :cry:

Folks...It's pretty much this simple IMHO...Dareus ran a 4.92 and killed it at the Combine in just about every area...He was a stand out player in his last 2 years at Alabama...Quick and strong...Almost a flawless prospect...So what has happened? 20 plus pounds, that's what...Dareus weighed in at 319 at Indy...He admitted to being about 340 at Camp this year...I'm trying to find the interview where he shrugged off the question about his weight...But there is no question it's effecting his play...He's only 6-3...He needs to be at about 315-320...Just look at him...He looks overweight...It's a problem because Dareus combined strength with quickness to become one of the better College DT's coming out in recent years...The extra lbs have killed that quickness...I can't believe the Bills Coaching Staff let him get that big...It tells me a lot about the lack of attention to detail Chan has passed down...It also makes me wonder about Dareus' work ethic and desire to be the best he can be...

And it's JMO...But I don't think the death of his brother is the main cause of his down play whatsoever...And I'm not trying to say he's not effected by it either...What I am saying is Bills Fans have just started to notice what was apparent before the death of the kids brother...This is not something new with Dareus...He's showed flashes, but he's rarely played up to his capability since he's been a Buffalo Bill...And he's been terrible vs the run for the majority of his Pro career...Go watch the tape...You'll see...Players who have 1/4 of Marcell's physical ability are FAR better vs the run...

Marcell is underachieving it's nothing new, and the Bills passed on not one, not two, not even three, but FIVE Pro-Bowl players in favor of Dareus...You just gotta love this Teams luck... :doh:

It's not too late for Dareus to turn it around...But he's going to have to drop the weight, grow a killer instinct, and regain that quickness off the ball he lacks all too often now... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Slow and stiff? Really? Not at Alabama he wasn't...No way...

UGH!!! This kills me because the kid is my favorite Bills player...It just kills me...But... :cry:

Folks...It's pretty much this simple IMHO...Dareus ran a 4.92 and killed it at the Combine in just about every area...He was a stand out player in his last 2 years at Alabama...Quick and strong...Almost a flawless prospect...So what has happened? 20 plus pounds, that's what...Dareus weighed in at 319 at Indy...He admitted to being about 340 at Camp this year...I'm trying to find the interview where he shrugged off the question about his weight...But there is no question it's effecting his play...He's only 6-3...He needs to be at about 315-320...Just look at him...He looks overweight...It's a problem because Dareus combined strength with quickness to become one of the better College DT's coming out in recent years...The extra lbs have killed that quickness...I can't believe the Bills Coaching Staff let him get that big...It tells me a lot about the lack of attention to detail Chan has passed down...It also makes me wonder about Dareus' work ethic and desire to be the best he can be...

And it's JMO...But I don't think the death of his brother is the main cause of his down play whatsoever...And I'm not trying to say he's not effected by it either...What I am saying is Bills Fans have just started to notice what was apparent before the death of the kids brother...This is not something new with Dareus...He's showed flashes, but he's rarely played up to his capability since he's been a Buffalo Bill...And he's been terrible vs the run for the majority of his Pro career...Go watch the tape...You'll see...Players who have 1/4 of Marcell's physical ability are FAR better vs the run...

Marcell is underachieving it's nothing new, and the Bills passed on not one, not two, not even three, but FIVE Pro-Bowl players in favor of Dareus...You just gotta love this Teams luck... :doh:

It's not too late for Dareus to turn it around...But he's going to have to drop the weight, grow a killer instinct, and regain that quickness off the ball he lacks all to often now... B-)

Who wouldn't put on pounds if you had to sit in meetings all week with Wannacrap? Most would be gorging on everything from cheetos to pencils.

Dareus is not a problem. Players often drop off when they have personal stuff going on. Suh is under pressure in Detroit for having an off year - he's not dominating like he did before. Dareus is probably distracted and more deeply affected by his brother's tragedy than football fans realize...and the play of everyone around him in 3 horrid games has not helped.

they have played 5 games, 3 of them blowouts. Stats are going to be skewed and the whole picture will not be in full view.

i thought dareus was our best player vs the chiefs.

Scratch the whole Damned Defense then eh?

Scratch the whole Damned Defense then eh?

You can drop every single player and the DC. Get a High School coach and 11 random defense camp casulaties that are not on a roster and they could not do any worse than the last 6 QTRs of NFL football.

Not that I am proposing we do that. Just that the defense has been record breakingly bad for a franchise that has has some terrible terrible teams it really says something.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I put this on wanny, the guy doesn't know how to scheme...he's a dinosaur and needs to be fired...

Dareus will be fine, he's just going through a rough time because of the death of his brother...I remember my first break up and how hard it was for me to even eat let alone be active, i think he's going through the same thing only on a much larger scale.

Dareus is not a problem. Players often drop off when they have personal stuff going on. Suh is under pressure in Detroit for having an off year - he's not dominating like he did before. Dareus is probably distracted and more deeply affected by his brother's tragedy than football fans realize...and the play of everyone around him in 3 horrid games has not helped.

they have played 5 games, 3 of them blowouts. Stats are going to be skewed and the whole picture will not be in full view.

i thought dareus was our best player vs the chiefs.

Go back and read KOK's post(a few back), and then come back and tell me the play of Dareus is not troublesome.

Remember...... the guy is dealing with very recent tragedy in his family. There are no 'rules' for how one copes with those type of things. He may not be all that 'into' his job right now. I know he makes millions etc, but he is also human.

My sympathies for his loss, but he wasn't playing well before the tragedy.

A few thoughts:

- Dareus is a big athletic monster who knows how to play football. If we can't get production out of him we're not using him the right way.

- Mario Williams will get it together and be a dominant player for years to come. For a power rusher who relies on his handwork, a wrist injury can be debilitating (and last for weeks or even months). It's often not a matter of choosing to play through pain, sometimes the body just won't allow it.

-If we had gotten JJ Watt there's no guarantee he'd be playing here like he is in Houston. We might be complaining about how much he sucks.

Just saw Charley Casserly talking on the NFLN about the Bills defensive line woes...pretty disheartening. I thought Dareus was well on his way to becoming a very good player last year...Casserly insists "if you watch game film" it is obvious that there is something wrong with Mario's arm strength...mentioned that Mario's "hand work" is usually outstanding, but it isn't happening this year. He also said our secondary is experiencing lots of "mental lapses", and our (Wanny's) unwillingness to blitz more often is not helping things...I know this is all stuff we have seen/noticed, but that is the first time I have seen anyone on a national level breakdown our defense, other than just saying it is "woeful" or "hopeless" or "pathetic" etc etc

If we lose Dareus to malaise, we are more !@#$ed than I thought...

And casserly really knows Mario's game inside and out. Huge statement with credibility. That's not the typical talking head on a player he's only heard passing comments about.

A few thoughts:

- Dareus is a big athletic monster who knows how to play football. If we can't get production out of him we're not using him the right way.

- Mario Williams will get it together and be a dominant player for years to come. For a power rusher who relies on his handwork, a wrist injury can be debilitating (and last for weeks or even months). It's often not a matter of choosing to play through pain, sometimes the body just won't allow it.

-If we had gotten JJ Watt there's no guarantee he'd be playing here like he is in Houston. We might be complaining about how much he sucks.

Yes. (Although dareus may just need some time to get his head square)

I'm going to ass-u-me you're not asking about Fitz.

If you're asking about Tanny two words.... "Man Crush"

Yep, Tannehill been bragging him for two years, I really wanted him here but when Mike Sherman got hired as OC I knew he was going to the phins :cry: .

BTW, Landshark would be a cool name for the fish or tiger shark or Killer whales any thing but a cute cuddly dolphin. Also hate those pastel colors too, they need to get some new uni's with some darker colors :sick:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

A few thoughts:

Nope, Watt has more pride than that to let a measly wrist injury stop him.

Mario needs to change up his game if his wrist is bothering him that much, he can use the hump move, rip, swim and spin if he can't engage directly with his hands.

Watched a sack by Von Millet the other night who outside rushed and dipped his shoulders lower than the linemans waist on cut to the QB.. Guy couldn't get a glove on him. I had to watch it 3 or 4 times to see how he got his pads so low.. Pretty impressive..

Saw the exact play you're talking about, pulled the move on Sebastian Vollmer, it was really incredible. Couldn't believe how low he got and still maintain balance. Incredible balance.

There were a LOT of people here who thought that Von Miller would be another Aaron Maybin.

As far as Dareus, I would like to see the actual posts from those people expressing their reservations about drafting him. I really don't remember any posts advising not drafting him and in fact I thought that his selection was unanimously lauded around here.

You can't really blame much on any of the Def players this year when Wanny is putting them in bad schemes that set them up to get blown away. If I was on that D, I would have gotten hurt by now. I'm sure that if we loose this week to AZ you'll start to see a growing injury list on the D. If we don't come out and flat out dominate this game defensively, I still say we replace DW. The playbook that he is using from the 90's is worthless in today's league.

Nope, Watt has more pride than that to let a measly wrist injury stop him.

No offense, because you're normally pretty solid, but that's just !@#$ing stupid. I hope you're joking. Perhaps you've never had a tendon injury in your wrist, but there are injuries (I'm not necessarily saying Mario DOES have one of these, but I have) that no amount of toughness can do anything about. If you've ever done Aikido wrist holds you'll know vaguely what I'm talking about. it's not a matter of a guy letting up because he doesn't want the pain; it's a matter of the body not doing what the mind commands it to do.

Also dude, the point about JJ Watt had nothing to do with injury, it had to do with the fact that a players success can be severely affected by scheme, training, and position. It's not a coincidence that so many players play poorly here and excel elsewhere.