Brian Moorman Released!

sven233

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moorman was probably the best punter I have ever seen and a great guy overall. He was one of the few elite players we have had over the past decade. I wish him & his family nothing but the best.

That said, a 20+ page thread for a punter??? Other fanbases would laugh their heads off. Punter is one of the least important positions in sports. It's not his fault at all, but it's embarrassing that our best player of the last 10 years was a punter in the 1st place. I'm looking forward to a Bills team with real stars at real positions. And if the Bills somehow win the division, I'd give Moorman a ring. Again great guy & tremedous punter. Unfortunately, he played on a lot of crap teams.

I know Moorman is just a punter, but upon further review I have concluded that he is a scape goat for DeHaven's short commings. Since the departure of Bobby April the fall off in the performance of special teams has been significant. Mooreman's gross yard average is fine, his net not great. Is that really all on him?

Then there's this...

Moorman's 32.7 net punt average ranks No. 31 in the NFL, but his release was a surprise, considering his history with the team (he was a seven-time team captain and two-time Pro Bowl pick). Bills running back Fred Jackson tweeted: "WTF??? Released Mooreman??? For What??"

Really shouldn't have been much of a surprise.

The punter really shouldn't be blamed for a poor net average unless it's a result of poor directional punting. Otherwise it's the fault of the coverage team in which case DeHaven's the problem.

Is that still the case if ~ 50% of his punts have gone put of bounds. (no idea how to look that up)

I know Moorman is just a punter, but upon further review I have concluded that he is a scape goat for DeHaven's short commings. Since the departure of Bobby April the fall off in the performance of special teams has been significant. Mooreman's gross yard average is fine, his net not great. Is that really all on him?

I agree.

His poor net figures are a function of DeHaven. If DeHaven wants him to kick it out of bounds, so be it. But you're not going to end up with good stats that way, and probably can't kick the ball as well as you want.

Why do we even need DeHaven? He has a place kicker that kicks the ball through the endzone on kick-offs and a punter who is ordered to kick punts out of bounds. Seems like the ST will run itself.

Edited by JR In Ann Arbor

So can we expect Chan and Buddy to start holding everyone to this level of performance? Is the guy having a bad season so far? Yep. But to tell me he has underperformed MORE that some others on this team is laughable.

And Chan picks the man who is arguably the fans' favorite Bill over the last decade?

This is just bull ****.

So can we expect Chan and Buddy to start holding everyone to this level of performance? Is the guy having a bad season so far? Yep. But to tell me he has underperformed MORE that some others on this team is laughable.

And Chan picks the man who is arguably the fans' favorite Bill over the last decade?

This is just bull ****.

There's zero margin of error for a punter. And in 2010, 2011 and this year, Moorman made lots and lots of errors.

There were two punts on Sunday where he really let us down by shanking one short.

I for one grew tired of him ripping of his chin trap in disgust--a sign that it wasn't DeHaven's fault (I mean, please).