Brian Moorman Released!

sven233

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all seriousness, who will be our field goal holder? Moorman has done that for years. You now have a new holder who most likely won't be Fitz or Thigpen (about to be toast). Will it be Brad Smith??

Powell (if brought back) was a holder all through college

From Tim Graham's blog post:

Powell, an All-America from Florida State, had a good camp. But Moorman had an outstanding camp and preseason and won the job.

So, like I said earlier, he DID have a great preseason. He's had a great career. With that body of work, he gets cut after three games?!? I'm with Freddy.

Doubt it. Moorman has always ALWAYS been a good soldier.

This is entirely a performance thing.

For the same reason a contractor can't keep on a construction guy who can't lift 4x4s after 11 a.m., I think BM hit a wall two seasons ago WRT his "touch" on pinbacks and power over the course of the season. That he had a good preseason may be owing to the offseason rest period.

I don't think that punt where he outkicked his coverage this week that allowed for the returner to build steam and make a 30-yard return helped at all. Nor the return TD against the Jets in the opener, tho I was only half-watching at that point and I haven't seen replays to see what happened there.

Agree on the one punt at the end of the game. He crushed it low and straight right at Cribbs and he got 25 yards on the return. Maybe that sealed his fate if he couldn't get the ball far without sacrificing hang-time.

In terms of his conditioning though, I can't imagine he is out of shape. The guy runs marathons and iron-mans in the offseason and many players say he is probably the most conditioned athelete on the team. Maybe it was just age catching up to him regarding strength - to your point.

From Tim Graham's blog post:

Powell, an All-America from Florida State, had a good camp. But Moorman had an outstanding camp and preseason and won the job.

So, like I said earlier, he DID have a great preseason. He's had a great career. With that body of work, he gets cut after three games?!? I'm with Freddy.

no one wants a practice player/gym all star

gotta get it done on the field, and through three games Moorman has been pretty terrible

the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league...its a results driven league, every game is important, every punt is important....

just now realizing that "giving Moorman one last year" was not the right move in August

Let's be serious, other than the timing is anyone really shocked by this? Moorman has been a shell of his old self for the past 4 or 5 seasons now. He's basically been getting a paycheck based on reputation.

It's always hard to see a fan favorite go, but this isn't totally surprising, only the timing is a surprise. As far as wasting the money on his contract, well...it ain't my money. I'll never understand why so many people get upset over how much we spend on a guy, even in this era of the cap.

i'm glad they cut him it should have happened during the offseason

moorman was a great bill and was an all star at his position for a while but the rest of the league has caught up with him and surpassed him

last year he was marginal at best he's simply a below average punter at this point in his career

thanks for the memories brian you will be remembered fondly but its time to move on

Let's be serious, other than the timing is anyone really shocked by this? Moorman has been a shell of his old self for the past 4 or 5 seasons now. He's basically been getting a paycheck based on reputation.

It's always hard to see a fan favorite go, but this isn't totally surprising, only the timing is a surprise. As far as wasting the money on his contract, well...it ain't my money. I'll never understand why so many people get upset over how much we spend on a guy, even in this era of the cap.

Sure, you say that, but who's going to carry the torch for Division II 400-meter hurdlers on this team? Huh? HUH?