A nickname for the disaster in Seattle?

poo

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be "The Catch that while within the rules, everyone is freaking out about because talking heads have been saying what a terrible job the replacement refs are doing so we dont agree with any call they make so that they can try to make the NFL cave to referees that are asking for more money when they are an unimportant part of the game."

Kinda like "The FIeld Goal, that while it went throught the uprights, vince wilfork took off his helmet and belicheat grabbed a referee simply because they thought it could be close even though it was obviously good.

What? The two endings couldn't have been more different. The Ravens FG was good by the letter of the rule, no question. It was just inside of, then over the top of the left upright. Close, yes but a good kick by rule. The debacle in Seattle? Anyone who is not a moron could see that M D Jennings intercepted that ball, Tate then put his hands on it, then removed one hand and placed it back. There is NO controversy here, just a horrible blown call by a scab official that obviously didn't no the rule. A player attempting to gain possesion after another has gained control of the ball is most certainly NOT simultaneous posession. I truly cannot believe that ANY football fan, even those in Seattle, thought there was any doubt that ball was intercepted. I wanted the 'Hawks to win, but when these replacement refs tell us what we saw didn't actually happen, well that is just terribly damaging to the once revered NFL shield. And from other comments on this board, let's be clear. The REAL officials are not asking for more money. The multi-billion dollar NFL is nickel and diming these guys over a couple million dollars for their pension plan. There is no villain here but the owners and their shill Roger Goodell. That they would cheapen a brand that has taken decades to build is a complete travesty to the sport, end of story. Refs are always the guys we love to hate, but I have a new respect for the real officials, who truly do get it right 99% of the time. Controversies happen, but not 20+ times per week! From zero consistency as to what is and isn't called, to phantom PI calls, to penalties called when they are on the opposite side of the field from the play, this has to stop! We are watching a game trying to be played, and not being allowed to. All in all, a different, inferior product to what we are used to. But there is NO controversy over this Seattle thing. Just incompetence,plain as day, there for all to see.

Screw the catch, that whole scoring drive was a gift from the officials. Two blatant, obvious offensive pass interferes calls...one is called on the defense, and the other was " THE CATCH". And don't forget the crap roughing the passer call... Also the ref standing over the play got over turned by the ref running to the play? With no conference? The game is done and over, and no change should be made there, but any one who thinks that wad not a big deal, couldn't be more wrong.

You gotta love how classy Carroll is as well. Refs hand his team a victory, and he looks like his team over came adversity, to win the super bowl. Packers fans must be losing there collective minds.

What? The two endings couldn't have been more different. The Ravens FG was good by the letter of the rule, no question. It was just inside of, then over the top of the left upright.

The criticism of the refs may or may not be warranted in the Seattle game, but such criticism loses much of its legitimacy because people have spent the last 3 weeks shouting *FIRE* over every single call --- even the correct ones like the Raven FG -- made by the replacement officials.

Your own words highlight this absurd obsession with over-criticizing these refs:

Controversies happen, but not 20+ times per week!

20+ times per week? Please remind me of the other 19 from this weekend. Fact is, this is the first legitimate controversial call in 3 weeks; which seems to me to be about the normal average.

It should be "The Catch that while within the rules, everyone is freaking out about because talking heads have been saying what a terrible job the replacement refs are doing so we dont agree with any call they make so that they can try to make the NFL cave to referees that are asking for more money when they are an unimportant part of the game."

Kinda like "The FIeld Goal, that while it went throught the uprights, vince wilfork took off his helmet and belicheat grabbed a referee simply because they thought it could be close even though it was obviously good.

Yeah, within the rules that state clearly what occurred is NOT considered simultaneous possession because Jennings clearly had the ball possesses first THEN Tate got an arm around it...

The criticism of the refs may or may not be warranted in the Seattle game, but such criticism loses much of its legitimacy because people have spent the last 3 weeks shouting *FIRE* over every single call --- even the correct ones like the Raven FG -- made by the replacement officials.

Your own words highlight this absurd obsession with over-criticizing these refs:

20+ times per week? Please remind me of the other 19 from this weekend. Fact is, this is the first legitimate controversial call in 3 weeks; which seems to me to be about the normal average.

with this....

giving harbaugh 2 extra challenges down the stretch? luckily it didnt change the scoreboard.

spotting the ball at the wrong 44 in the OT drive to beat the lions? granting an extra 12 yards in sudden death is kind of a big deal.

theres 3 HUGE ones from this weekend. the kind you do not see every week.

deadspin will be sure to continue to wrap the weeks mess ups - week 2 wasnt atrocious (bad for sure), but this weekend was in SEVERAL cities. i think you will be surprised as you clearly didnt see a large volume of the weekend...