Jerry Jones: NFL should outlaw kneel-downs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always been in favor of adopting what they have in arena leagues. On a run play, you must gain yardage or the clock stops ... Doesn't create a rule that is difficult to police or find loopholes in & makes more plays more meaningful. Just my thought.

This is what I was thinking too. This would make the end of some games a lot more exciting.

The game in question was Giants-Tampa and it was a 7 point game. In that case you give the D a chance to cause a fumble.

That game is what brought this on, but banning the kneel down would have a much wider impact than just that. Do we really need to see a couple extra plays run with scrubs in a blow out because that's one thing that would happen with any ban.

count me in this camp. jones is a total dick. he also was recently quoted as saying the NFL replacement officials did well in week 2, and that people are always complaining so what's the difference. what a maddening human being. i hate jerry jones, and amazingly disagree with everything that comes out of his mouht.

outlawing kneel downs is ridiculous

a team could run a HB dive three times with very very very little risk if the back was instructed to go down and be ball secure at the expense of yardage

but at the end of the game on meaningless plays there is a high risk of someone taking a cheap shot at someone else, and also injury concerns

this can all be avoided by simply taking the knee

I've always been in favor of adopting what they have in arena leagues. On a run play, you must gain yardage or the clock stops ... Doesn't create a rule that is difficult to police or find loopholes in & makes more plays more meaningful. Just my thought.

This is a great idea.

That game is what brought this on, but banning the kneel down would have a much wider impact than just that. Do we really need to see a couple extra plays run with scrubs in a blow out because that's one thing that would happen with any ban.

I agree in a blowout but a 3 or 7 point game with over a minute to play I would like the chance to cause a turnover.

Edited by nucci

I read somewhere that there is about 7 minutes of "real" action in an NFL game. If you eliminate the times between the whistle and the next snap - there's very little going on. Also, they should eliminate the huddle after a false start or illegal formation penalty. If you have a false start, screw the 30 seconds of standing around...why meet in the backfield again when you already have a play called.

Lets look at this from a rational point of view....how can you even regulate it?

Instead of kneeling down he takes the snap runs a sweep and then "trips"

If you really want to make things happen a better rule change would be under 2 minutes once the play is whistled the clock is stopped (so teams dont need to burn time outs). The onside kick then would be the element of surprise.

time outs are for challanges, to talk to the coach, ice the kiccker, or to prevent delay penalties.

One rule I do want in place at minimum is the college clock rule where on first downs or after plays are whistled dead the clock temporarily stops until the official signals restart.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miracle_at_the_Meadowlands

Jerry's basically arguing that teams should not use a formation that maximizes the protection of the ball, and defense are entitled to an opportunity for a turnover.

And how would you ban it anyway? Make it a fifteen yard penalty and loss of down? Big deal...by the time you're kneeling and running out the clock, the game's over. The difference between 4th and 15 and 4th and 60 (1st and 10, plus three 15 yard penalties, plus 5 yards dropping back to kneel) is completely irrelevant when the clock hits zero.

Jerry's an idiot.

How could that even be remotely possible to ban kneel downs? What would stop a QB from going into a shotgun taking as snap falling to the ground and securing the ball.

Still more of a risk of a turnover from a bad snap.

If the unwritten rule is that you can't go after the ball in a kneel down, then just make that the real rule. Team tells the ref that they are running a kneel down and they do it but defense can't engage.

It's not an unwritten rule, it's just a courtesy.

In this case it was especially silly to disregard that courtesy as the best case seemed to be a pile up for any fumble and the clock expiring. TB would have to somehow strip the ball and in that mess of people scoop it clean to advance it. Almost impossible really. As a coach he risked his own players safety on that slim of a chance. If it was more time and he might get a Hail Mary out of it, I have no problem with him pushing there.

That would be the only solution, if under two minutes you had to gain yards in order to run the clock. But still would you want to see a whole bunch of QB sneaks in order to end a game? Its an ugly way to end a game as opposed to a knee. Believe me teams would find a way to game the system.

You can't really end the kneel down, teams aren't going to want to see RB's and QB's get hurt on plays to run the clock down.

That's ridiculous. If the cowboys won more games he wouldn't be arguing this!

Actually he's just messing with couglin really

Why doesn't anyone mess with Bellichick?

He did the EXACT SAME THING Schiano did when we beat the Pats last year!

When the spymaster tried to take out our linemen's knees, why wasn't ESPN all over that?

-How quickly people forget.

Why doesn't anyone mess with Bellichick?

He did the EXACT SAME THING Schiano did when we beat the Pats last year!

When the spymaster tried to take out our linemen's knees, why wasn't ESPN all over that?

-How quickly people forget.

The difference is that Gailey shook Belichick's hand after the game instead of raising a stink about it like Coughlin did.

GO BILLS!!!