A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Say what you want about Fitzpatricks decision making or his arm but I don't know about questioning his athletic ability. The guy can run and is pretty tough for a QB also.

Agreed.

You don't want T Jax Qbing this team. Fitz isn't nearly as bad as TJ is.

Agreed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you want about Fitzpatricks decision making or his arm but I don't know about questioning his athletic ability. The guy can run and is pretty tough for a QB also.

I agree. And btw, I am not even going to blast his decision making. But, his passes were weak yesterday. Very weak, and I'm not sure what the problem is. The truth is, the Bills played yesterday, errant passes aside, in the manner in which I have always pined for, They won the battle at the LOS on both sides. Their OTs opened truck sized holes, and a guy like Spiller can, will, and did capitalize on this in a huge way. But as I am constantly reminded, times have changed. The QB means more and more today given the rule changes.

Fitz's stats don't look bad right now on paper.He has what, 5 TD passes in 2 games? This would put him on a pace for 40 if he stays healthy, but his play doesn't measure up to this as we speak. But IF he improves, we can be a playoff team imo.

And my thing after all these years is to make the playoffs. If and when we get there, we can and will set loftier goals.

what do you do with Fred ? Spiller has been absolutely electric for 6-7 games in a row. He is our best player, he is a threat to go all the way every time he touches it, he can run inside and out, can catch it underneath out of the slot or up the field out wide. I love Fred but this team is Spillers with Fred to help out. Chan probably has a plan to use both actually

The only thing Tavares will bring is a stronger arm. He's never been much of a scrambler and if people are looking for a huge increase in accuracy over Fitz, those folks will be sorely disappointed.

Which makes me wonder aren't 2 chitty quarterbacks enough? Why does Gailey need 3? None of them are the future.

Glenn was amazing.

The screen play where he got out front of Spiller and just mauled anyone in his way was great. Glenn should excel at pulling and out in open space, given all his time in college at gaurd. I have always been a big fan of his. Great game by the big man.

I still think Woods is the heart and soul dof this Oline. IF he can stay healthy and this line plays together all year then the Bills are on to something for the future.

But yes, Fitz still scares the crap out of me. He got 90+ yds on one drive from two great runs after the catch. Besides the Chandler TD pass nothing he did yesterday was above average.

Hopefully Chan realizes the best way for this team to be good is run CJ and Jackson when he comes back 40 times a game and pass only 20. Fitz CAN NOT be asked to take a game over with his arm. This game showed what the Bills have, a dynamic young running back and an Oline that can crush people.

First of all thanks Bill, i always look forward to reading your thoughts right after every game.

I don't wanna see Fitz throw the ball, but just judging from the looks of it he looked really unconfident after the first quarter. Also wonder if maybe his changing mechanics might be causing more hesitation. As a former thrower i know that changing the way you've thrown your entire life is hard and takes alot of fast thinking, took me six months to start throwing accurately but i could throw better then ever after.

Either way i think Fitz needs to used sparingly and used on Play Action until he starts showing improvement if he ever does. I'm not too worried but a little nervous.

How about Spiller? ive had big doubts about him but he got me jumping this sunday. patience and just hitting his hole has made him a beast. Hope Fredex is still used much having both of them on the field is gonna get some major respect from the defense also makes #2 WR a little less important. Did Jones even play? swear i didnt hear his name once.

Does anyone think Sheppard is turning it around? Huge game from him but I dont have Rewind or replay and couldnt focus on him so i dont wanna jump on the wagon. My questions would be did he shed blocks well? did he engage lead blockers and not go around? and how was his coverage? granted he is a LB and as bills fans i dont think we expect much anymore from that department. Poz when he was here was absolutely hysterical in coverage, funnier then any recent Sandler movie=P

Thanks Bill. Great stuff.

I never understood Gailey's recent infatuation with the spread offense passing attack. When he was hired here I'd read a News article which stated that Gailey was an aficionado of the running game. We've seen very little evidence of that here in Buffalo. Then this past week the Bills FINALLY made an earnest attempt at running the ball and in his post game comments he calls himself "old school" and an adherent to the run game.

All late last season you and I were commenting on his maddening tendency to abandon the run, even when the score did not dictate it.

Marv Levy famously said (paraphrasing) "If a coach starts listening to the fans, he'll find himself sitting with them" however when a team has a very experienced and educated fanbase, I find it to be the height of arrogance to ignore public criticism of the team. My great fear with Gailey is that he is a stubborn, defiant old faq.

Certainly if Gailey had listened to the fans, the Bills wouldn't have gone on a 1-11 slide last year. Last week we fans criticized the soft coverage by the defensive backs and the Bills addressed that.

I really hope the light has come on for Gailey and that the next time we play the New York Jets we actually try standing toe to toe with them and slugging it out because I believe the Bills have the trench workers to be very successful playing smash mouth. I'd like to see the Bills emulate Houston and San Francisco.

Perhaps the Bills will become the team that you, I, and so many other blue-collar Buffalonians have lusted after for so long… a cold-weather, smash-mouth football team.

Thanks Bill. Great stuff.

I never understood Gailey's recent infatuation with the spread offense passing attack. When he was hired here I'd read a News article which stated that Gailey was an aficionado of the running game. We've seen very little evidence of that here in Buffalo. Then this past week the Bills FINALLY made an earnest attempt at running the ball and in his post game comments he calls himself "old school" and an adherent to the run game.

All late last season you and I were commenting on his maddening tendency to abandon the run, even when the score did not dictate it.

Marv Levy famously said (paraphrasing) "If a coach starts listening to the fans, he'll find himself sitting with them" however when a team has a very experienced and educated fanbase, I find it to be the height of arrogance to ignore public criticism of the team. My great fear with Gailey is that he is a stubborn, defiant old faq.

Certainly if Gailey had listened to the fans, the Bills wouldn't have gone on a 1-11 slide last year. Last week we fans criticized the soft coverage by the defensive backs and the Bills addressed that.

I really hope the light has come on for Gailey and that the next time we play the New York Jets we actually try standing toe to toe with them and slugging it out because I believe the Bills have the trench workers to be very successful playing smash mouth. I'd like to see the Bills emulate Houston and San Francisco.

Perhaps the Bills will become the team that you, I, and so many other blue-collar Buffalonians have lusted after for so long… a cold-weather, smash-mouth football team.

I would have to say that for the first time since Chan's been here we have been solid in run d. And we can get some pressure on the qb. That has to make him feel better about trying to grind it out on the ground instead of game planning like he has to score on every single possession.

I agree. And btw, I am not even going to blast his decision making. But, his passes were weak yesterday. Very weak, and I'm not sure what the problem is. The truth is, the Bills played yesterday, errant passes aside, in the manner in which I have always pined for, They won the battle at the LOS on both sides. Their OTs opened truck sized holes, and a guy like Spiller can, will, and did capitalize on this in a huge way. But as I am constantly reminded, times have changed. The QB means more and more today given the rule changes.

Fitz's stats don't look bad right now on paper.He has what, 5 TD passes in 2 games? This would put him on a pace for 40 if he stays healthy, but his play doesn't measure up to this as we speak. But IF he improves, we can be a playoff team imo.

And my thing after all these years is to make the playoffs. If and when we get there, we can and will set loftier goals.

If you take an overview evaluation on Nix's approach to building a roster it is obvious that he believes in having big lines on both sides of the ball. Nix commented when he took over that the Bills needed to get bigger and stronger. In general, he has accomplished that. On the OL our three tackles are big and bulky. He believes that the line should emphasize power and strength more than athleticism and finesse.

He also has made the point that when pursuing a qb prospect you have to believe that that player is capable of leading your team and not simply pursue a prospect (at least at a high draft point) because you need a qb. A couple of years ago this organization was willing to draft Newton with their first pick but weren't willing to use that pick for Gabbert. In this last draft I believe (speculation) that he was going to draft either Cousins or Russell Wilson with his fourth round pick. I would have been happy with either one of them with a preference for Wilson. He really intrigued me in last year's draft.

In general I am happy with the way Nix has operated. He has brought a credibility to a floundering organization. I'm far from suggesting that Buddy Nix is an upper tier GM but he surely is solid and capable.

It may sound trite, but we are often fooled by our senses. Gailey looks and sounds like an good old boy from the south. And this is what he is, but he is also an intellectual. He, more than people like us, understands the way this game is heading, especially wrt the offensive side. The rule changes have basically handed the middle of the field to the receivers. Passing means more than it used to. Eli Manning threw for more than 500 yards on Sunday. This isn't the type of game that I prefer, but he won. Gilbride was ahead of his time, and way less effective in those days. Now he is winning championships. Long story short.....Gailey has adapted to the times.

That said, playing in Buffalo is a bit different imo. The Bills will NEVER win with a Jauron type team, on which their premier pass rusher is covering tight ends. OP gets cold, and the winds are very tricky, even as early as October. They need to beat people up on the lines of scrimage, and dominate the clock. This week, they face a rookie QB. They have to go in and kick his ass, and and also focus on the other rookie, Trent Richardson, who can hurt you. Offensively, I gotta admit that I trust Gailey more than I do Wanny on the other side.

But we really.....really need another win on Sunday!

If you take an overview evaluation on Nix's approach to building a roster it is obvious that he believes in having big lines on both sides of the ball. Nix commented when he took over that the Bills needed to get bigger and stronger. In general, he has accomplished that.

He really has. I am going to be paying particular attention to Hairston. He was mauling people last week, even on the left side. As I previously said, I have NEVER seen a football game in which the Buffalo Bills OTs played like this. Not once, and this includes the game in which Tindale ran for 100 yards. And 3 OTs did this, not two! The OGs and Wood played well too, and Nix did bring in Urbik from seemingly nowhere. Yes, Nix finally improved our OL.

Now, wrt to Spiller lol.....he is a gifted back. But Bills fans shouldn't, imo, liken him to Thurman. Spiller is WAY more gifted than TT. He is much faster, and probably has better open field moves. What Thurman could do better than any back I ever saw on any team was to see, and get through openings. If Spiller continues to get holes, let alone entire lanes like he did against KC, he will be unstoppable, given his attributes.

That said, Fitz is going to have to produce more in order to keep teams from stacking up the LOS. If he can, our offense, along with the improved defensive line, will be good enough to win us more games than we did last season, and perhaps even make the playoffs.

A lot of "ifs," but possible.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it interesting how people are so down on Fitz. Payton Manning threw 3 interceptions this weekend but no one really notices that. I've seen Brady have some serious brain farts on occasion as well. Brett Favre through the years often lead the league in interceptions.

Anyway, playing the QB in the NFL is a lot like playing the lottery. If you don't play you won't win. You can't expect a QB to not pass. Besides before the Bills skid last year he had some pretty lofty stats. He is not as bad as many here are making him out to be and I am going on record right now.......Fitz will be among the best 10 QBs in the league this year. He is going to have his opportunities as long as the defense continues to get off the field on 3rd downs. I've always felt that a lot of good QBs have looked bad because of the players around them. Fitz has a good group around him. So far we're doing all right and I am really looking forward to a playoff push this year. It's coming. I say, sit back and enjoy the ride.

I find it interesting how people are so down on Fitz. Payton Manning threw 3 interceptions this weekend but no one really notices that. I've seen Brady have some serious brain farts on occasion as well. Brett Favre through the years often lead the league in interceptions.

Anyway, playing the QB in the NFL is a lot like playing the lottery. If you don't play you won't win. You can't expect a QB to not pass. Besides before the Bills skid last year he had some pretty lofty stats. He is not as bad as many here are making him out to be and I am going on record right now.......Fitz will be among the best 10 QBs in the league this year. He is going to have his opportunities as long as the defense continues to get off the field on 3rd downs. I've always felt that a lot of good QBs have looked bad because of the players around them. Fitz has a good group around him. So far we're doing all right and I am really looking forward to a playoff push this year. It's coming. I say, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Please do not compare Fitzpatrick to Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Brett Favre. They're not even in the same hemisphere.

Oh, and everyone noticed Manning's INTs. When Fitz plays consistently good football, as the QBs you mentioned have...then he'll get the leeway you think he already deserves.

Gilmore impressed me today. I tried to key in on him quite a few times and I noticed he has the natural ball hawking instincts that you can't teach and, as we already knew, has all the athleticism you need at CB. It was really nice to see him bounce back with this game after last week. This kid will be a great one.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I think Gilmore is ultra-talented, has all of the potential in the world, and plays tough as you'd ever want to see a cornerback play when given the chance to be physical.

With that said, he needs to get a lot better is he want's to be a top 10 cornerback in this league, much less be elite. He needs to work on playing well in space. He over-runs plays, and bites on play-action to easily, getting caught looking into the backfield. I like that the mistakes he'd making are on the side of aggression, but that could wind up working against his development in this climate of replacement referees. These replacements are allowing, as someone wrote in the game thread "forced sodomy" by defensive backs, and once the regulars are back those "great coverages" are going to be "shitloads of penalties". I only hope he can unlearn what he's been doing and make the adjustments.

As I said in my first paragraph, I think he could be a world beater. His unusual skill set might allow him to single cover the Calvin Johnson's of the world. Just don't get too excited just yet. The young man has a long way to go.

I don't think anyone is arguing about Fitz capabilities to throw the ball. What he does not have compared the three guys you have quoted...Manning, Brady and Favre....They were CONSISTENT....Fitz has shown to be a very streaky QB and it is hard to win in the NFL if you are not consistent.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I think Gilmore is ultra-talented, has all of the potential in the world, and plays tough as you'd ever want to see a cornerback play when given the chance to be physical.

With that said, he needs to get a lot better is he want's to be a top 10 cornerback in this league, much less be elite. He needs to work on playing well in space. He over-runs plays, and bites on play-action to easily, getting caught looking into the backfield. I like that the mistakes he'd making are on the side of aggression, but that could wind up working against his development in this climate of replacement referees. These replacements are allowing, as someone wrote in the game thread "forced sodomy" by defensive backs, and once the regulars are back those "great coverages" are going to be "shitloads of penalties". I only hope he can unlearn what he's been doing and make the adjustments.

As I said in my first paragraph, I think he could be a world beater. His unusual skill set might allow him to single cover the Calvin Johnson's of the world. Just don't get too excited just yet. The young man has a long way to go.

People said the same things as above about Polamalu....However with that aggression and free flow to the play, Polamalu has made far more game changing plays in favor of the Steelers than let them down. I will take that more than having an average lunch-pail guy at the CB position.

He really has. I am going to be paying particular attention to Hairston. He was mauling people last week, even on the left side. As I previously said, I have NEVER seen a football game in which the Buffalo Bills OTs played like this. Not once, and this includes the game in which Tindale ran for 100 yards. And 3 OTs did this, not two! The OGs and Wood played well too, and Nix did bring in Urbik from seemingly nowhere. Yes, Nix finally improved our OL.

Now, wrt to Spiller lol.....he is a gifted back. But Bills fans shouldn't, imo, liken him to Thurman. Spiller is WAY more gifted than TT. He is much faster, and probably has better open field moves. What Thurman could do better than any back I ever saw on any team was to see, and get through openings. If Spiller continues to get holes, let alone entire lanes like he did against KC, he will be unstoppable, given his attributes.

That said, Fitz is going to have to produce more in order to keep teams from stacking up the LOS. If he can, our offense, along with the improved defensive line, will be good enough to win us more games than we did last season, and perhaps even make the playoffs.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is where the spread comes in, they really can't stack the box to stop the run against the spread. They can play up on the line, but if Fred or Spiller break a tackle or if someone misses a tackle its a TD or a huge gain. Not to mention the safeties blitzing, if they are too close and a WR gets behind them its a TD.

Gailey did a great job of mixing things up against the Chiefs as it kept them off balance most of the game. I just hope Gailey keeps having Fitz hand off more often then throwing it, at least until Fitz starts playing better

I don't think anyone is arguing about Fitz capabilities to throw the ball. What he does not have compared the three guys you have quoted...Manning, Brady and Favre....They were CONSISTENT....

Ganesh, get out much? In various threads (too many!) at this very minute, people are in fact asserting that Fitz lacks capability to throw the ball.

Spiller and Thurman are two different type of backs. Thurmond was a tougher inside runner who could pinball off of the defenders. Spiller's best attribute is his stunning speed. Spiller is a capable receiver who could play as a wideout.. In my view TT was one of the best receiving backs in the history of the modern game. Also, as you noted TT was one of the best at reading the line play and maximizing what was availabe, even if it was very tight inside.

Where Spiller has impressed me this season is his improvement in reading blocks. He has shown more patience in allowing the play to develop and then selecting the right lane. That clearly is a good sign that he is developing as a football player instead of responding as an athlete. As you also noted, what sets Spiller apart from TT and most other backs is his exceptional speed. When he is in the open field he is passing a lot of lagging defenders. Getting Jackson back is not going to set Spiller back or cause problems. It will allow the offense to be more run oriented and make Fitz more effective in a more limited passing role.

Fitz is what he is. He is an erratic passer with an average arm at best. He is very athletic and he is very intelligent. He has a lot of moxie that helps him overcome his physical limitations. The Bills don't need Fitz to be heroic; they need him to be judicious. He is more of a manager than a playmaker. If he plays within himself he will be more effective than if he forces things.

Edited by JohnC