A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Simply put that was the best I've seen the Bills O-Line play in.... 15 years? I can't remember exactly. They were good for the most part last year, with some flashes of dominance, but this is a whole different level. Cordy may well be the key? I'm psyched, after very nearly writing them off last week.

The offensive line was definitely not the issue last week.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something about Stevie Johnson that I find very troubling. He seems to be in a fog. His body language is atrocious. I realize he had one big TD play, but overall his performance is lackluster. In my opinion he is a very mediocre to average #1 receiver. I have suspicions that his groin injury is still bothering him. It seems that he and Fitz are not in sync.

I noticed this as well. I also wonder if his groin is still troubling him.

A win is a win, no matter the opponent.

It was wonderful to see Gailey take the game out of Fitz's hands and put it in Spillers. And even better to see Spiller pick up where he left off last week.

A healthy FredEx along with Spiller will be a great thing to see.

Fitz sucked again, but at least he didn't hurt the team this week.

Gilmore seems to be holding an awful lot on coverage. Got away with most of it today.

Edited by CodeMonkey

12) Btw, I hope Gimore was merekly shaken up, and not injured. Did I want them to draft him? No. Did they pick on him a little today? Yes. Does he have a lot to learn? Sure, but I LOVED that hit he laid on Hillis late in the game. That took balls, and we need guys like that on this team. He was giving it his all, and as a fan, I thank the kid.

Gilmore gave up something like 65 yards total in the game where the chiefs threw for 300+ yards (mostly in garbage time). Many of the sacks were coverage sacks as Cassell had no where to throw the ball. The credit goes to Gilmore and the secondary who had an outstanding game. Gilmore will be a (super)-star in this league.

Gilmore gave up something like 65 yards total in the game where the chiefs threw for 300+ yards (mostly in garbage time). Many of the sacks were coverage sacks as Cassell had no where to throw the ball. The credit goes to Gilmore and the secondary who had an outstanding game. Gilmore will be a (super)-star in this league.

Gilmore impressed me today. I tried to key in on him quite a few times and I noticed he has the natural ball hawking instincts that you can't teach and, as we already knew, has all the athleticism you need at CB. It was really nice to see him bounce back with this game after last week. This kid will be a great one.

Thanks for the great summaries, I was at the game today and came away with these impressions:

I think Fitz's footwork coaching was all good in preseason but suspect it's messed up his confidence and style. Mentally he didn't look like the same quarterback. Doesn't seem to go through all his progressions, definitely stares down receivers more than in the past and seems to lack that attitude of seeing all his receivers looking to make a play. He's always had the accuracy problems, now he seems like he's just trying to execute the offense. Perhaps he's thinking about his footwork too much.

Love how set the Bills are at running back. Spiller is fantastic, love Tashard's straight-ahead slasher style. Complements CJ and Fred. Can't wait for Fred back.

Kudos to offensive coaching staff for great game plan. Mix of wildcat was effective and not overdone. 'Bout time the run game took center stage!

Young CB's just need some playing time to get better. A lot of KC completions were a case of young DB not turning around to see the ball in time but having good position. It'll improve.

We are still so vulnerable to the seam pass up the middle. I was perplexed that Wilson or Byrd never stepped up to help cover the route. Anybody know why this is? A couple plays Barnett was covering until ~20 yds downfield but had no safety help. They really need to fix this.

Mario did a great job stopping the run and definitely had 2 or 3 guys blocking him at time.

What a game by the offensive line. Spiller gets the game ball but the OL's play was responsible for a good chunk of his yardage today. Spiller was running like FJ because there were so many holes to choose from.

I was generally very happy with the D, but there were two plays where KC caught them off guard, they weren't set, and they got burned. A team like the Patriots* will exploit this more frequently than the Chiefs did. I thought the secondary was OK but there seemed to be a lot of plays where there were 3 or 4 of our players in the vicinity of a pass, and it was caught with little fight coming from any of them. Gilmore and Aaron Williams seemed to get picked on a lot.

Fitz looked absolutely awful today. Many of his throws were way off target and they would have been picks if he was facing a better defense (say, like the Jets). There was no improvement at all from last week and that's going to need to change if this team wants to make the playoffs. They will be better than 6-10 merely because their schedule is weaker than last year, but if they want to improve, Fitz needs to do A LOT better than this.

I agree with an earlier post re: SJ. He looked like he was out of the game at times with his body language and was generally a non-factor... but that could just be due to Fitz's subpar play.

Edited by sullim4

Some of my observations, I watched the secondary a lot today.

1. Gilmore was holding guys hands, he played well but won't get away with that every week.

2. Mcgee and Rodgers both played today and A.Williams and McKelvin sat while they were in, not sure that it matters but for what it is worth, that tells me that Wanny thinks 2 guys who don't look to be 100% still play better than 2 guys who are.

3. The D line, teams are really going to have difficulty with who to double. The pocket just collasped a few times today and the rotations were very nice, keeping Carrington seems to have been a good idea and I thought it would have been better to keep Edwards, I was wrong.

4. Stevie is really a number 1, he draws doubles and has moves.

5. Chan gets cute at bad times, I hated the Dickerson trick play. I don't care if they are trying to give Fitz confidence or doing something the Chefs don't expect, you stay on the ground and get the score up to 28 after the half. And the WC, I actually agree with Tasker is not to be used in some situations. At some point we need to have Brad Smith throw it or it will become totally defenseable.

6. TJ didn't see the field much and honestly Rosie is better in the slot than Jones IMHO and just as an afterthought when Martin made the play on special teams did anybody else see him acting like "SEE that is why they kept me", not sure I liked it. Last thought not sure Brad Smith is a bad receiver, that catch on the sideline was very nice. On the WC though, well I will just say what the hell are you trying to do with that Chan?

7. Marcel is my new favorite Bill.

8. Mario is an animal, seriously.

9. KYLE EFFING WILLIAMS!!

10. CJ EFFING SPILLER!! (and Bill you really had that wrong, wrong. wrong).

11. The Chefs look like a jauron team, which is how I felt about the Bills last week but 2 weeks in a row? That coach has to be feeling the heat from his seat now.

12. Cordy Glenn was a very good draft pick at this point, guy is a mauler, Hairston is a good swing too, so nice to fell comfortable with our outside guys.

13. Fixpatrick my new name for him, he is what he is, not sure fixing him is that great an idea but it is worth seeing if he improve, I always thought he could improve and I hope so.

Feeling better this week, hope it wasn't just a one week thing.

Edited by bowery4

Fitz looked awful, I personally cant wait until Jacksons ready so we can have some athleticism at the position but I also like the fact that they are being patient with him. I thought mcGee looked pretty weak out there but actually looked almost back to his old self speed wise which would be a hugeeee plus for depth. The middle of the field has to be covered better and honestly I wasnt impressed with our safety play.

Mark Anderson played lights out, I noticed him time and time again, very impressive.

I like the utilization of chandler as well. We need to run a conventional offense, it suits our strengths and we won with it.

I noticed this as well. I also wonder if his groin is still troubling him.

A win is a win, no matter the opponent.

It was wonderful to see Gailey take the game out of Fitz's hands and put it in Spillers. And even better to see Spiller pick up where he left off last week.

A healthy FredEx along with Spiller will be a great thing to see.

Fitz sucked again, but at least he didn't hurt the team this week.

Gilmore seems to be holding an awful lot on coverage. Got away with most of it today.

And I just thought it was me who saw that!! You're right CM, he dam sure did. I was thinking to myself, the regular refs wouldn't allow him to get away with it too much.

Game ball(s) goes to:

1. Cody Glenn - Outstanding game both in the Run and Pass. This starting OL must be one of the best in a loooooong time.

1a. Eric Wood - He is the heart and soul of this OL and the Offense. He brings an energy to this offense not seen since the departure of Kent Hull.

2. Stephen Gilmore - Gilmore Island was a very lonely place today. He owned the KC receivers

3. C.J. Spiller - Showed his burst at the LOS and his ability to move forward when tackled. Also, protected the football today.

4. Chandler - This guy can catch anything thrown near him. He could very well be a Gates for this team, if only the QB can get the ball to him consistently. His play will open up the Bills offense and provide more 1-on-1 coverage for our 2nd WR to take advantage. Teams will not be able to double team Chandler and Stevie.

5. Moorman - Had a fantastic day with the Punting today.

Game ball(s) goes to:

1. Cody Glenn - Outstanding game both in the Run and Pass. This starting OL must be one of the best in a loooooong time.

1a. Eric Wood - He is the heart and soul of this OL and the Offense. He brings an energy to this offense not seen since the departure of Kent Hull.

2. Stephen Gilmore - Gilmore Island was a very lonely place today. He owned the KC receivers

3. C.J. Spiller - Showed his burst at the LOS and his ability to move forward when tackled. Also, protected the football today.

4. Chandler - This guy can catch anything thrown near him. He could very well be a Gates for this team, if only the QB can get the ball to him consistently. His play will open up the Bills offense and provide more 1-on-1 coverage for our 2nd WR to take advantage. Teams will not be able to double team Chandler and Stevie.

5. Moorman - Had a fantastic day with the Punting today.

For me it's the entire O line and Spiller. Damn, that kid keeps playing that way and Gailey is going to find it difficult to give FredEx his touches when he is healthy again! :)

My only disappointment was that T. Jackson did not dress. I would have liked to have seen him in the game to mop up instead of Thigpen, and maybe a bit earlier than Thigpen got in. But I really can't blame Gailey for not expecting a huge blowout like that.

Edited by CodeMonkey

There is something about Stevie Johnson that I find very troubling. He seems to be in a fog. His body language is atrocious. I realize he had one big TD play, but overall his performance is lackluster. In my opinion he is a very mediocre to average #1 receiver. I have suspicions that his groin injury is still bothering him. It seems that he and Fitz are not in sync.

If you watched Stevie Johnson walk the sidelines before the game it looked like he was sniffing smelling salts to wake himself up. Dunno whats troubling him, but it doesn't look good.

Hopefully, Fitz and SJ get in sync as they need to be to have more success this year.

If I'm Gailey I'd still be thinking about bringing in Plax to bolster that WR corps.

If you watched Stevie Johnson walk the sidelines before the game it looked like he was sniffing smelling salts to wake himself up. Dunno whats troubling him, but it doesn't look good.

I have seen him doing that before. A lot of players do, hockey players as well. Clears their heads.

Fitz looked awful, I personally cant wait until Jacksons ready so we can have some athleticism at the position but I also like the fact that they are being patient with him. I thought mcGee looked pretty weak out there but actually looked almost back to his old self speed wise which would be a hugeeee plus for depth. The middle of the field has to be covered better and honestly I wasnt impressed with our safety play.

Mark Anderson played lights out, I noticed him time and time again, very impressive.

I like the utilization of chandler as well. We need to run a conventional offense, it suits our strengths and we won with it.

Say what you want about Fitzpatricks decision making or his arm but I don't know about questioning his athletic ability. The guy can run and is pretty tough for a QB also.

You don't want T Jax Qbing this team. Fitz isn't nearly as bad as TJ is.

Edited by FreakPop