A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1) Wow! It was SO freaking great to see a crucial, game changing play by Alex Carrington! We have waited for years to see this, and it was just so important today!

2) Every team needs players like Nick Barnett. He isn't as talented as Ray Lewis, but his 3 tackles, 3 assists, and crucial forced fumble were instrumental in this win. He is a true professional.

3) Let's talk about McKelvin, shall we? When the Chiefs had a nice punt return in the 3rd quarter, it was because McKelvin froze, was then hit by 2 players, and the return man ran right by him. On HIS return, there is probably nobody in the league who could have caught him. He drives me freaking niuts.

4) Spiller? He did each and every thing one would want today. A case could be made that he had a better game than any player in the NFL. SO good, that I was actually happy when he was pulled. Taking it even a step further, if FJ was healthy tomorrow, CJ would be the starter. I salute his effort and performance!!!!!

5) It was good to see the Mario and Anderson involved today, but I give much of the credit to Dareus,. He was doubled on every play, and freed them up. But this is no surprise. It's probably part of the reason that they signed with us.

6) Sorry, but I have concerns about Fitz. He had trouble with out patterns today, and looked to be seriously lacking arm strength. If you combine his 2 starts, his numbers don't look so bad, but again, I am concerned. He really can run, but if he can't get the ball downfield or throw successful sideline patterns, my fear is that defenses will exploit this. He needs to improve.

7) OL has always been, and will always be my thing. The Bills OTs played VERY well today wrt pass protection. As far as run blocking, I cannot recall one single game where the OTs did a better job. Hairston made plays at both RT and LT. Pears was kicking ass even at the end, in garbage time. Glenn? He was a total monster. Btw, a tip of the hat to San Jose Bills Fan for touting Glenn so much before the draft! :thumbsup:

8) "Never had such a good time,

in my life before.

I'd like to have it one time more.

One good ride from start to end,

I'd like to take that ride again.....

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

9) Kudos to Chandler, and I hope that Fitz utilizes him, and Lee Smith more often.

10) My compliments to Sheppard as well. This was the best game of his professional life, and we need this kind of production from him.

11) Gailey did a good job today as well. He let the team run on, and dominate their opponent. It really was sweet. Let's keep it going!!!

12) Btw, I hope Gimore was merekly shaken up, and not injured. Did I want them to draft him? No. Did they pick on him a little today? Yes. Does he have a lot to learn? Sure, but I LOVED that hit he laid on Hillis late in the game. That took balls, and we need guys like that on this team. He was giving it his all, and as a fan, I thank the kid.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills OTs played VERY well today wrt pass protection. As far as run blocking, I cannot recall one single game where the OTs did a better job.

I said exactly the same thing early in the game thread. Our Tackles wereabsolutely mauling people today.

If you see a replay of Spiller's long run over RG in the first half, watch Hairston block down and completely pancake the Mike. I jumped right off my couch on that one.

1. Yes

2. Was he playing MLB today?

3. Fitz is the only other player that makes me more confused

4. Yes but I would still love to have Fred back

5. Mario was also double teamed, sometimes even triple teamed. Him and Dareus created opportunities for others.

6. They didn't go deep at all so I can't say anything about Fitz deep ball but it seemed that he was hitting the intermediate routes well and couldn't get the short passes to the receivers. Weird

7.Yes

8. Touched my heart. :cry:

9. Chandler did have a TD grab.

10. I think you mean Mozes because he walked right through that parted Red Sea

11. As i've said before, wish there was more play action

12. Yes

I said exactly the same thing early in the game thread. Our Tackles wereabsolutely mauling people today.

If you see a replay of Spiller's long run over RG in the first half, watch Hairston block down and completely pancake the Mike. I jumped right off my couch on that one.

Hairston was sick today, and at BOTH sides. Glenn? I am going to refrain at this point from saying how good he COULD be. I don't want to jump the gun, but can you feel what I'm saying? He was flat out insane today, and I tried to key on him as much as possible. And Pears will hurt you on runs. He's as strong as an ox.

I cannot agree more with everything you said.

Coming in to this game I remember Tony Dungy saying that the Bills run defense was not that good. Was not that good last week and will lose us the game this week. This guy is a baffoon and he proves it time and time again with crap like this. We did good against the Jets run and by halftime you would forget that these are two of the top backs in the league we are facing.

CJ Spiller has grown up. I do not know when and where. His legs keep moving, he does not run light on his toes anymore. I have been very critical of his running form; it is amazing to see what he is doing as he grows up. I think part of his play has been adjusted, giving him time, lining up 6-7 yards back.

I saw SJ13 walking a couple of times after finishing he routes and the plays away from him. Not sure what is going on there but it seemed to not be an issue later in the game.

Chandler is engaging his blocks more and more. He is not a special blocker yet, but he keeps his man engaged.

Our OL does very well at run blocking. I think they got gassed last week having to sit on their heels last week and protect the pass. We came in to this game prepared, it showed in the trenches.

I watched our DB's a lot when I knew it'd be a pass. They were up on the line challenging the WR's and they did just fine. Gilmore was in anyones face who was in front of him.

Anderson dropping in to pass coverage, wow...I can't believe...where did that come from? Who came up with this? I like it, it will be great to do against the Patriots and other teams that go short in the flat.

- To draw on the above point, we have been doing things in this game that we should have been doing last week. We have a gameplan this week. What did we have last week. What didn't we do last week? I want to know. I really f'n want to know!

Are we seeing the emergence of Alex Carrington? I had been seeing 92 doing some good stuff and forgot who he was...until that fumble.

We do not need to ask Fitz to win football games. We just need to be the team we are supposed to be. I do not care if the Chefs are not that great, below average - we still did well.

In the second half I watched more loosely. This had been the most in depth game I had watched in a while. I am upset with us not having Thigpen pass in his garbage time.

Special teams giving us points is great, and the one fumble recovery was nice but I want to see more turnovers generated. If we are rushing 3 and 4 players I expect our defensive units to get be in place to pick some balls.

Was there a reason we shelved the run game in the 2nd half? I think so. I think they wanted to get the ball in the air and hope it helps Fitz. You could see early his confidence was not that high, you could see he has not been where he needs to be prior to the 2Q. I think the coaches decided it'd be best to treat the remainder of the game as an offensive experiment.

It was after all... da Chiefs!

#4, what a bunch of .... we all know one of your TV's didn't make it thru the day... considering Spiller is now playing so great :nana:

That O line made me proud to be a Bills fan, Glenn is the real deal.

Gailey finally running the ball more and putting it in his best players hands.

It was a very good day to be a Bills fan :worthy:

Was there a reason we shelved the run game in the 2nd half? I think so. I think they wanted to get the ball in the air and hope it helps Fitz. You could see early his confidence was not that high, you could see he has not been where he needs to be prior to the 2Q. I think the coaches decided it'd be best to treat the remainder of the game as an offensive experiment.

Good point here. When you have the game in hand, why not try experiment and get your QB's confidence up?

Simply put that was the best I've seen the Bills O-Line play in.... 15 years? I can't remember exactly. They were good for the most part last year, with some flashes of dominance, but this is a whole different level. Cordy may well be the key? I'm psyched, after very nearly writing them off last week.

4) Spiller? He did each and every thing one would want today. A case could be made that he had a better game than any player in the NFL. SO good, that I was actually happy when he was pulled. Taking it even a step further, if FJ was healthy tomorrow, CJ would be the starter. I salute his effort and performance!!!!!

Spiller is our biggest playmaker on offense by far. His rookie year was a learning experience. Last year, in the second half of the season and currently, he has without question demonstrated why he was a high first round pick.

There is something about Stevie Johnson that I find very troubling. He seems to be in a fog. His body language is atrocious. I realize he had one big TD play, but overall his performance is lackluster. In my opinion he is a very mediocre to average #1 receiver. I have suspicions that his groin injury is still bothering him. It seems that he and Fitz are not in sync.

I was very impressed with our OL, especially on running plays. Cordy Glenn reminds so much of LT Marcus McNeil from San Diego.

There are many people who expect rookies to be instant top shelf players. It usually doesn't happen that way. Today, I was very much impressed with Gilmore. He is a physical CB who is mentally tough and resilient. He was a top 10-15 caliber prospect who was drafted where he deserved to be drafted.

As each game goes by, including last year, it is becoming very evident that Fitz is an average qb at best. His accuracy is very erratic and his arm strength is below par. The best things I can say about him is that he can make plays with his legs and that he has a lot of moxie. I suspect that our scouting department is going to place a heavy emphasis on qb prospects in the next draft. We need to very soon get a legitimate qb prospect on this roster to groom.

Edited by JohnC

3) 88 yard punt return leodis freakin mckelvin.....if your gonna scold him for a return by the chiefs ya goal praise him for the td as well

I did Ryan!

There is something about Stevie Johnson that I find very troubling. He seems to be in a fog. His body language is atrocious. I realize he had one big TD play, but overall his performance is lackluster. In my opinion he is a very mediocre to average #1 receiver. I have suspicions that his groin injury is still bothering him. It seems that he and Fitz are not in sync.

I am not sensing the above about Stevie, but I respect your opinion and will pay closer attention.

Fitz and SJ were scrubs together. Imo, they have good chemistry because they practiced a lot. And, SJ gets open more than any receiver that we have had in a few years. I hope that his injury isn't serious because he, imo, is one of the most vital players on our team. We simply don't have a deep group of wideouts.

Great post, Bill.

I'll tell you what I've noticed most about CJ these last two games. If I could pick ONE area where he really has matured, as you said, I would single out patience. He is a FAR more patient back than he was previously. He's clearly allowing his blocks to develop and is allowing his supporting cast to remain involved in the play. I have been very impressed with him these last two weeks.

Also, I love Gilmore's attitude. Obviously a rookie in only his second start is going to exhibit some growing pains. But this kid is aggressive and he seems to really want to become a top CB. We need some of that energy on this team...a little swag on that side of the ball is a good thing. I can't wait to see how he's playing by around week 9.

I did Ryan!

........I read it fast. I'm just trying to keep mck on the roster for a bit. Nice post Bill. If Rogers is playin I want mck handling all KR/PR duties...........

I am not sensing the above about Stevie, but I respect your opinion and will pay closer attention.

Fitz and SJ were scrubs together. Imo, they have good chemistry because they practiced a lot. And, SJ gets open more than any receiver that we have had in a few years. I hope that his injury isn't serious because he, imo, is one of the most vital players on our team. We simply don't have a deep group of wideouts.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Great insight, Bill. As I've said before, we need to live and die by the play action. This coaching staff sometimes tries to outsmart it's self. That being said, Chan played to our strengths today. We have a stud RB and a mauler OL. This is our identity. I was a Fitz supporter. But he isn't right. Time to scout starting QBs for next year.

Per our draft class this year, Glenn on OL and Gilmore at CB are studs. Gilmore has a steeper learning curve, but he's gonna be great for years to come.

C