Watched NFL Network's "NFL Playbook : AFC" yesterday...

KOKBILLS

I tend to agree with this...Just look at College Football...That's what's coming...Only bigger, faster, better...I think in 5-7 years most every NFL QB is going to be like RGIII, Newton, and Luck...QB's that can run a spread, make every throw they need to, and can take off and run big time...That's what is coming...At least that's the way it looks to me... B-)

I don't think I agree with this. This type of QB was always effective in the NFL, but the problem has been that they inevitably get beat up and injured. I think you can have a guy that runs primarily and a guy that throws primarily and maybe make it work, but full time QBs who run a lot of the time simply aren't going to last in this league. It's just way too physical. The QBs that have made it (e.g. Steve Young, Roger Staubach or John Elway) became primarily passers

PS- Luck can't run.

The Bills laid a huge egg in all 3 phases of the game last Sunday.

The only Bill who laid an egg on offense was Fitz. I thought the OL, RBs and even WR played pretty well. It just shows you how important the QB position is.

Edited by vincec

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't worry, the Ralph is a hard place to come away w/ a W with fired-up fans the Bills anxious to redeem themselves.

We can be the 12th man, but 7-11 might also be needed from "the Ralph"

Here's hopin' for the most dramatic turn around ever.

Go Bills Go "the Ralph".

Edited by Drewgetz

I watch this show every week...I was absolutely shocked to see that all 3 of the "experts" (Sterling Sharpe, Brian Baldinger, and Donovan McNabb) picked KC to win outright on Sunday...I mean...All three? I follow Football, and Bills Football, as much as the next guy...Probably more...But I thought The Bills would be the obvious favorite to win this Game regardless of what happened in Week #1...Home Opener, they killed KC on the Road last year, etc...I was just really surprised...Is this Game going to sneak up and bite all of us? I was hoping for a stress free weekend...lol

McNabb was also pretty tough on Fitz for double clutching on that 1st INT...He was saying that is the one thing you cannot do on that route vs the D The Jets were showing us...Basically he said on that play the Jets D will give you that route if it's on time...And every QB knows the ball has to come out on rhythm...They also talked a bit about the great job the Jets O-Line did, especially the RT blocking Mario...

Anyway...Beware the Chiefs? :huh:

No, beware of moron ex-jocks like Sharpe & McNabb getting paid to fill airtime on NFL Network :rolleyes:

Although Baldinger's view suprised me - met him once, and he seemed like a smart fellow...until now...

Buffalo Bills 57

Kansas City Chiefs - 0

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :beer:

Spreading the field horizontally as well as vertically is here to stay, whether it's done with 4 WR or 2 WR and 2 TE.

And it will stay until/unless rule changes less favorable to passing are instituted.

Problem is, the only way Buffalo goes vertical is down the sideline. The ever-brilliant Antonio Cromartie noted after the game that Buffalo either throws short or down the sidelines, which is precisely what Fitzpatrick and Gailey did. The pick-6 may have been a misunderstanding between Nelson and Fitz, but when the CB saw Nelson stop and go toward the sideline I bet he knew what was coming.

It's one thing to run the spread, it's another to have the personnel to do it effectively. And it's up to the HC/OC to start coming up with some game-plans that opponents aren't so well prepared for. Megamind better start living up to his nickname.

The Bills have pretty much sucked all year, including pre-season. The first team offense didn't do squat till the last preseason game, and the first d looked pretty feeble throughout. I had confidence they would take it to a winning level when the season started. They looked so pathetic last week I don't know what to think. The Jets receivers were wide open all day long. There was no pressure on the QB. Fitz threw like a drunk playing touch football.

While I wasn't expecting a victory over the Jets, I was expecting a good game. That was a horrible game.

I have no expectations whatsoever for tomorrow. I do, however, have suite tickets for the 3 p.m. Redskins v. Rams game, and if the Bills are getting blown out, I will be on time. I hope I am late for the Rams game.

just look at last years playoff teams, smash mouth won and if Lee Evans catches the ball and that duffess from SF doesn't fumble twice, the Ravens and 49rs are in the SB. Also the giants may have had a bad running game last year but that's bc that had bad runners, but Caughlin is a run first guy. So of all the spread teams in the playoffs only one made the superbowl and they lost.

The giants were a statistical dead heat with us in regards to percentage of pass plays. The gap is less than half a percent. Maybe you remember gilbride?

Or maybe even the niners throwing 42 times in the playoff game that they won? And throwing more than they ran all season.

I don't think I agree with this. This type of QB was always effective in the NFL, but the problem has been that they inevitably get beat up and injured. I think you can have a guy that runs primarily and a guy that throws primarily and maybe make it work, but full time QBs who run a lot of the time simply aren't going to last in this league. It's just way too physical. The QBs that have made it (e.g. Steve Young, Roger Staubach or John Elway) became primarily passers

PS- Luck can't run.

The only Bill who laid an egg on offense was Fitz. I thought the OL, RBs and even WR played pretty well. It just shows you how important the QB position is.

Look up lucks 40 time. Kids got speed.

Edited by NoSaint

the chiefs are pretty good and they get players back this week. cassel is the weak link but hes probably about the same or better than fitz. i still think the chiefs are gonna be a tough team. i hope the bills have got their sh@t together but. we will see.

the chiefs are pretty good and they get players back this week. cassel is the weak link but hes probably about the same or better than fitz. i still think the chiefs are gonna be a tough team. i hope the bills have got their sh@t together but. we will see.

Yes the Bills better bring their 'A' game and a rip your head off intensity to this game or they are going to lose.

What are you basing this on? Luck was an effective scrambler at Stanford and his NFL combine 40 time matched Cam Newton's.

http://aol.sportingn...newtons-40-time

Look up lucks 40 time. Kids got speed.

OK, let me rephrase. Luck doesn't run. He averaged 5.1 carries per game in 2009, 4.2 carries per game in 2010, 3.6 carries per game in 2011. Cam Newton averaged 20.3 carries per game in 2010. They are no where near the same type of QB.

I watch this show every week...I was absolutely shocked to see that all 3 of the "experts" (Sterling Sharpe, Brian Baldinger, and Donovan McNabb) picked KC to win outright on Sunday...I mean...All three? I follow Football, and Bills Football, as much as the next guy...Probably more...But I thought The Bills would be the obvious favorite to win this Game regardless of what happened in Week #1...Home Opener, they killed KC on the Road last year, etc...I was just really surprised...Is this Game going to sneak up and bite all of us? I was hoping for a stress free weekend...lol

McNabb was also pretty tough on Fitz for double clutching on that 1st INT...He was saying that is the one thing you cannot do on that route vs the D The Jets were showing us...Basically he said on that play the Jets D will give you that route if it's on time...And every QB knows the ball has to come out on rhythm...They also talked a bit about the great job the Jets O-Line did, especially the RT blocking Mario...

Anyway...Beware the Chiefs? :huh:

Brian Baldinger secretly sucks Jet's (explicit body part)... I hate him!!!!!!

Sterling always gives us a chance... Love him!!!!!

McNabb just wants to make money somehow... His opinions don't matter yet...

Problem is, the only way Buffalo goes vertical is down the sideline. The ever-brilliant Antonio Cromartie noted after the game that Buffalo either throws short or down the sidelines, which is precisely what Fitzpatrick and Gailey did. The pick-6 may have been a misunderstanding between Nelson and Fitz, but when the CB saw Nelson stop and go toward the sideline I bet he knew what was coming.

It's one thing to run the spread, it's another to have the personnel to do it effectively. And it's up to the HC/OC to start coming up with some game-plans that opponents aren't so well prepared for. Megamind better start living up to his nickname.

Can't disagree with a word you said. If Chan is smart he buys a clue that the Bills have become just a tad too predictable - I forget the actual word Cromatrie used, but that was the gist.

Wow, fumbles leading to turnovers get a free pass, along with route mistakes? Not from me.

Plenty of blame to go around. (the OL did play well and so did the RB and WR - at times. For that matter, so did Fitz - at times. Consistency is a B**ch)

The giants were a statistical dead heat with us in regards to percentage of pass plays. The gap is less than half a percent. Maybe you remember gilbride?

Or maybe even the niners throwing 42 times in the playoff game that they won? And throwing more than they ran all season.

The point is they are not spread teams, I'm not against throwing I'm against sissy football called the spread.

just look at last years playoff teams, smash mouth won and if Lee Evans catches the ball and that duffess from SF doesn't fumble twice, the Ravens and 49rs are in the SB. Also the giants may have had a bad running game last year but that's bc that had bad runners, but Caughlin is a run first guy. So of all the spread teams in the playoffs only one made the superbowl and they lost.

OK, put your money where your words are - prove it.

What's the run/pass breakdown of the 8 playoff teams?

What type of offense do the Giants and NE run, or for that matter the Ravens?

Of the 4 teams in the conf. championship, which run an offense that can by some metric be described as "smash-mouth"?

Are these the teams that, in fact, won?

Not trying to be snarky here, but if we're going to pronounce, just like to see that we have some facts backing it up.

Disclosure: Somewhere in the archives, there's a post I did last year comparing the run/pass breakdown of the top offenses and comparing them to the Bills, so actually, I know how the top offenses and playoff teams break down and some about what kind of offense they run.

PS we may have to agree on terms here. For example, if a team passes 58 times for 316 yds and runs 26 times for a mighty 85 yds, can we agree that is not "smash mouth football"?

Wow, fumbles leading to turnovers get a free pass, along with route mistakes? Not from me.

Plenty of blame to go around. (the OL did play well and so did the RB and WR - at times. For that matter, so did Fitz - at times. Consistency is a B**ch)

Fumbles leading to turnovers? Maybe I've blocked it out, but the only fumble by an offensive player was Spillers and I don't see how you can say that HE had a bad game. And the only "confirmed" route running mistake was Nelson's and the reason that pass was picked instead of incomplete is because it was thrown late. On the replays of Fitz's other two ints, the WRs were open and he either threw it late (to Johnson) or under threw them (to Nelson). In fact on several of the missed third downs the receivers were open. He missed a lot of open guys out there so yes, for once I put it 100% on him with regards to the offense.

Edited by vincec

PS- Luck can't run.

Luck can't run? Are you kidding me?

And I was definitely not talking about QB's who run constantly...Rather it's a QB who can run...Drew Brees is a Passer all the way...But he can run, he can slide, and he can buy time...Even Big Ben has been able to run effectively in order to kill you with his arm...If you look at RGIII, Newton, and the likes...They can beat you with their arm 1st and foremost...But they can move, and they can hurt you when they move...That's more of what I meant... B-)

McNabb just wants to make money somehow... His opinions don't matter yet...

That quote was AWESOME!!! :thumbsup:

The point is they are not spread teams, I'm not against throwing I'm against sissy football called the spread.

You sure about that? Maybe we should ask, what exactly what do you mean by "spread teams"?

A team doesn't have 2 receivers with >1000 yds and two with >500 because they're running a lot of two WR, two back sets. They achieve that becaue they have 4 guys lined up as WR much of the time.

Now, if by "spread" you mean empty backfield, 5 WR sets - that happens to be a set I despise myself-but no one runs that all the time, not even the Bills.

This article may be of some interest in part because far's I can tell, Chan's offense has some similar elements and goals.

Luck can't run? Are you kidding me?

And I was definitely not talking about QB's who run constantly...Rather it's a QB who can run...Drew Brees is a Passer all the way...But he can run, he can slide, and he can buy time...Even Big Ben has been able to run effectively in order to kill you with his arm...If you look at RGIII, Newton, and the likes...They can beat you with their arm 1st and foremost...But they can move, and they can hurt you when they move...That's more of what I meant... B-)

Then I agree with you, but that's nothing new. QBs have needed mobility since the days of Fran Tarkenton. Even non-mobile QBs need to at least be able to move inside the pocket (like Marino or Manning) to survive. Statues (like Drew Bledsoe) are rarely effective, and never for long.

I thought you were talking about QBs running out of the spread offense.