Watched NFL Network's "NFL Playbook : AFC" yesterday...

KOKBILLS

OK, put your money where your words are - prove it.

What's the run/pass breakdown of the 8 playoff teams?

What type of offense do the Giants and NE run, or for that matter the Ravens?

Of the 4 teams in the conf. championship, which run an offense that can by some metric be described as "smash-mouth"?

Are these the teams that, in fact, won?

Not trying to be snarky here, but if we're going to pronounce, just like to see that we have some facts backing it up.

Disclosure: Somewhere in the archives, there's a post I did last year comparing the run/pass breakdown of the top offenses and comparing them to the Bills, so actually, I know how the top offenses and playoff teams break down and some about what kind of offense they run.

PS we may have to agree on terms here. For example, if a team passes 58 times for 316 yds and runs 26 times for a mighty 85 yds, can we agree that is not "smash mouth football"?

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this but smashmouth football doesn't come down to how many time you run verses pass it is how you run the football and that is with a fullback and TE forcing the run game down their throats.

Spread is multiple WRs creating space for RBs to run. This style looks flashy but in crunch time the physical teams win out and is why traditional football is better.

You sure about that? Maybe we should ask, what exactly what do you mean by "spread teams"?

A team doesn't have 2 receivers with >1000 yds and two with >500 because they're running a lot of two WR, two back sets. They achieve that becaue they have 4 guys lined up as WR much of the time.

Now, if by "spread" you mean empty backfield, 5 WR sets - that happens to be a set I despise myself-but no one runs that all the time, not even the Bills.

This articlemay be of some interest in part because far's I can tell, Chan's offense has some similar elements and goals.

sure it does.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fumbles leading to turnovers? Maybe I've blocked it out, but the only fumble by an offensive player was Spillers and I don't see how you can say that HE had a bad game. And the only "confirmed" route running mistake was Nelson's and the reason that pass was picked instead of incomplete is because it was thrown late. On the replays of Fitz's other two ints, the WRs were open and he either threw it late (to Johnson) or under threw them (to Nelson). In fact on several of the missed third downs the receivers were open. He missed a lot of open guys out there so yes, for once I put it 100% on him with regards to the offense.

*sigh* Dude. Can we be consistent here? You can put blame 100% anywhere you like, but for a team game, does that really make sense?

I'm not defending Fitz, he had a sucky day, but mistakes are mistakes.

A drive killing turnover is a bad mistake. With about 2 minutes left in the half, they were down 7-24.

Spiller hangs onto the ball, they get the touch, they could go into halftime down by 10 points. Instead, he fumbles, they go into halftime down 7 - 27.

I don't know why I have to keep explaining this but smashmouth football doesn't come down to how many time you run verses pass it is how you run the football and that is with a fullback and TE forcing the run game down their throats.

Spread is multiple WRs creating space for RBs to run. This style looks flashy but in crunch time the physical teams win out and is why traditional football is better.

Perhaps you have to keep explaining this because you seem to be equating "smashmouth" with the top teams winning in the playoffs last year.

And that simply isn't true.

If you think it is, prove it. What I'm seeing is when challenged, you fail to back up your stuff and fall back and acting all exasperated "how many times do I have to explain"?

The '49ers have the closest thing to a smash-mouth run-first team, and how many TE/fullback sets do they run? Do you even know if they have a fullback on their roster?

The Giants do not run to set up the pass and they do spread the field. New England certainly doesn't run to set up the pass, and they do spread the field. GB ditto. NO ditto.

Just who are these "smash mouth" teams in your view?

Edited by Hopeful

*sigh* Dude. Can we be consistent here? You can put blame 100% anywhere you like, but for a team game, does that really make sense?

A drive killing turnover is a bad mistake. With about 2 minutes left in the half, they were down 7-24.

Spiller hangs onto the ball, they get the touch, they could go into halftime down by 10 points. Instead, he fumbles, they go into halftime down 7 - 27.

What inconsistency are you talking about? All the key players on offense played well except for Fitz. Is that not clear enough?

Then I agree with you, but that's nothing new. QBs have needed mobility since the days of Fran Tarkenton. Even non-mobile QBs need to at least be able to move inside the pocket (like Marino or Manning) to survive. Statues (like Drew Bledsoe) are rarely effective, and never for long.

I thought you were talking about QBs running out of the spread offense.

I do think these kids that can REALLY sling the ball coming out of College spreads will have an advantage in the coming years...But they are going to have to adjust to being Passers 1st...For sure...

Don't get me wrong either...I'm a Michigan Fan...I know Robinson is not the future of the NFL QB... :lol:

Look at tonight's Tennessee/Florida game...Bray has got a heck of an arm, and his WR's did not help him at all in that Game...But it was Florida's pressure on Bray, and his inability to extend the play that killed Tennessee on Offense tonight...I think those QB's, the one's that can't hurt you with their feet, are a dying breed in Football...Both Pro, and eventually in College too...

It's just what I see...But heck I could be wrong... B-)

Perhaps you have to keep explaining this because you seem to be equating "smashmouth" with the top teams winning in the playoffs last year.

And that simply isn't true.

If you think it is, prove it. What I'm seeing is when challenged, you fail to back up your stuff and fall back and acting all exasperated "how many times do I have to explain"?

The '49ers have the closest thing to a smash-mouth run-first team, and how many TE/fullback sets do they run? Do you even know if they have a fullback on their roster?

The Giants do not run to set up the pass and they do spread the field. New England certainly doesn't run to set up the pass, and they do spread the field. GB ditto. NO ditto.

Just who are these "smash mouth" teams in your view?

Are you serious? this statement shows that you don't know what SF runs. Yes they have a fullback, he is a converted LB from I believe Central Florida and could bench over 500 pounds then, his name is Bruce Miller. (And no I didn't have to look that up, I just watch too much Football, that's what the wife says anyway :D )

Did you see how SF ran the ball against Green bray to finish off game game? No WRs 2 back sets with as many TEs as they could get. I thought this was too conservative and GB would shut them down but Harbaugh knows best as they ripped off huge chunks of yards and it was awesome and is what we wish we were.

Maybe we can convince the David Shaw HC of Stanford to coach here bc he is basically a Harbaugh clone.