The ones that got away

peterpan

Drew Brees – as a FA got little to no interest and went to a bad team in NO that was destroyed by Hurricane Katria. We neglected to pursue.

Joe Flacco – drafted 18th overall. We have Leodis McKelvin

Jay Cutler – Traded for two 1st and a 3rd, instead we have/had Aaron Maybin, Spiller, and used the 3rd to trade up for Levitre

Carson Palmer - Traded for a 1st and a 2nd, we have Gilmore and a 2nd in next year’s draft (he looked pretty good in the game last night, granted I only watched the first half)

Andy Dalton – Drafted 2nd round, we have Aaron Williams

Matt Schaub – Traded for 2 2nds in 07 and 08, we had Poz and James Hardy

Vick – Free Agent we neglected to pursue.

Other guys we could have drafted, without trading up or any other BS include: Aaron Rodgers, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Russell Wilson, K Cousins, Colt McCoy, Mallet, Tebow, Brandon Weeden.

We also could have tried to trade for Kolb or Cassell or pursued Matt Hasselback in FA.

Who knows who I am forgetting, but when are the Bills going to sack up and TRY – JURT TRY – to get a FRANCHISE quarterback?.

***For the record I am not saying we should have gotten all of these players, I am just pointing out all of the players we have passed on over the years.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew Brees – as a FA got little to no interest and went to a bad team in NO that was destroyed by Hurricane Katria. We neglected to pursue.

Jay Cutler – Traded for two 1st and a 3rd, instead we have/had Aaron Maybin, Spiller, and used the 3rd to trade up for Levitre

Carson Palmer - Traded for a 1st and a 2nd, we have Gilmore and a 2nd in next year’s draft (he looked pretty good in the game last night, granted I only watched the first half)

Other guys we could have drafted, without trading up or any other BS include: Aaron Rodgers, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Russell Wilson, K Cousins, Colt McCoy, Mallet, Tebow, Brandon Weeden.

We also could have tried to trade for Kolb or Cassell or pursued Matt Hasselback in FA.

Who knows who I am forgetting, but when are the Bills going to sack up and TRY – JURT TRY – to get a FRANCHISE quarterback?.

***For the record I am not saying we should have gotten all of these players, I am just pointing out all of the players we have passed on over the years.

Ummm, we do have Brad Smith, QB/WR/KR/PR...a highly touted FA acquisition who wore the Cloak of Invisibility this past Sunday.

Real easy to know who to draft/sign after the fact. Just sayin'

PTR

That hurts the most

PTR

In the past decade, what qbs have we drafted? Trent and JP. We traded for Bledsoe. Is that all? Meanwhile we haven't had 1 QB worth a lick (unless you're one that thinks Fitz was worth a lick last season, lol). Qb is the most important position and we seem to just wait around and hope to sign some retread bum. That's what we do. So is losing

They have tried to get a franchise QB, They traded up for JP Losman, drafted Edwards in the 3rd, traded for Drew Bledsoe and Rob Johnson, went outside the Box and signed Doug Flutie from the CFL, etc.

They have tried going in all the directions that you suggest above and none of them have worked out, because its not so easy to get a franchise QB

Everyone thought Brees was done after his injury, and almost all the teams passed on him except NO

More then half the league also passed on Flacco

Cutler is on his second team and would have cost us the only guy to perform well on Sunday (and for the next few weeks our starting RB) and our starting LG

Palmer has been up and down, and the Bengals were even willing to take a risk on a rookie QB over him, another guy who after his injury teams were hesitant

Dalton was passed on by the entire league and if palmer didn't hold out would have been the backup in Cinncy right now

Schaub, kolb, and Cassell were all guys that were risky moves because they had limited starting experience and so far, only he has really been successful

Vick put up worse numbers then Fitz this week and has been injured alot, along with the bad feelings against him due to his criminal past

Aaron Rodgers was also passed on by almost the entire league, and was given a few years to sit behind and learn from Favre

Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Wilson, Cousins, and McCoy have all achieved nothing as starting Qbs in the league and a couple are not even starters

Mallet has never even started an NFL game yet and currently gets to sit behind Brady and come in for Mop up duty

Tebow is basically being used as a trick play/WildCat QB player and not a QB

Brandon Weedon had a QB rating of 5.0 this week (And hes the guy that the Browns started over McCoy)

Matt Hasselback couldn't win the starting job in Tenn and is a backup to Locker right now

Aside from Rodgers and Brees, how many of those guys can you honestly say are "Franchise/Elite QBs"?

PTR

I think the OP's point is that we have not even tried with any seriousness to address the QB situation. Quite galling to me is that even the current regime 'always looking to upgrade any position' has pointedly ignored the QB and, to a certain extent, WR positions. History sometimes can teach us to do different in the future

Aside from Rodgers and Brees, how many of those guys can you honestly say are "Franchise/Elite QBs"?

Question in my mind is which of them would have done better for us last season and this one ? Which one would have offered a glimmer of hope for the future ?

Not saying we should have done anything wild like trading a bunch of picks (Cutler, Palmer), but is it too much to ask for drafting one of the other young ones ? Were all of them such clear underperformers that we didn't draft any of them ? The draft is a crapshoot. The same logic that can excuse the FO from not drafting a QB can be used for pretty much any position ('he was not good enough'). Were Dalton or Kaepernick so poor in comparison to Aaron Williams ?

Why the hell didn't we read this thread four years ago!? Jesus Christ, our FO is so dumb dumb dumb.

Are you ready to excuse the FO for not attempting to upgrade the most important and difficult to fill position on the team ?

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Brees, Dalton and Flacco I'll give you.

I'd take Spiller and Levitre over Cutler any day.

Palmer ehhh, the guy has no heart. Don't want him here.

Schaub has a great supporting cast and without them he's done nothing

Vick can't stay healthy for a whole season.

That hurts the most

Seriously? He's Fitz 2.0. The main difference is that he has AJ Green to "just put it up" to. Watched the Bengals game last night and he continued to look like a younger Fitz. Not an improvement at all, IMO.

Im looking to make an improvement to a Stafford/Newton/Luck/RG3 type guy who can come in and be a top tier QB. Not replacing a mid-level QB with anothe mid-level QB, a la Dalton, Kaepernick, Locker, McCoy, Claussen, Trent Edwards, etc. The list of failed mid-level QBs is endless.

We need to get aggressive, and move up to get THE guy in the next draft. Some say that is Barkley, right now however, I believe that may be Geno Smith.

I think the OP's point is that we have not even tried with any seriousness to address the QB situation. Quite galling to me is that even the current regime 'always looking to upgrade any position' has pointedly ignored the QB and, to a certain extent, WR positions. History sometimes can teach us to do different in the future

Question in my mind is which of them would have done better for us last season and this one ? Which one would have offered a glimmer of hope for the future ?

Not saying we should have done anything wild like trading a bunch of picks (Cutler, Palmer), but is it too much to ask for drafting one of the other young ones ? Were all of them such clear underperformers that we didn't draft any of them ? The draft is a crapshoot. The same logic that can excuse the FO from not drafting a QB can be used for pretty much any position ('he was not good enough'). Were Dalton or Kaepernick so poor in comparison to Aaron Williams ?

Are you ready to excuse the FO for not attempting to upgrade the most important and difficult to fill position on the team ?

The FO took over in 2010.

The QBs in the 2010 draft were HORRIBLE. After Bradford, we were stuck picking from Tebow, Claussen, and McCoy. NO THANKS to all of those.

The 2011 draft had Cam Newton, and thats about it. Locker was a big risk and not a better choice than Dareus for our team. Gabbart and Ponder are less than exciting, to say the least. And Dalton is Fitz 2.0.

The 2012 draft had Luck and RG3 and they went 1-2. Tannehill is nothing great, and then the drop off continues through the mid-level guys.

So outside of getting a broken FA (such as Palmer who was sitting at home), the FO really hasnt had a chance to get aggressive about a QB.

I would LOVE to see that change this year, and have the Bills trade up (if need be) to get the top guy in the draft.

I firmly believe if Newton, Luck, or RG3 had fallen to the Bills, we would have taken them without hesitation. Sometimes it just doesnt work out, and it costs too much to make it work out at the time.

Seriously? He's Fitz 2.0. The main difference is that he has AJ Green to "just put it up" to. Watched the Bengals game last night and he continued to look like a younger Fitz. Not an improvement at all, IMO.

Im looking to make an improvement to a Stafford/Newton/Luck/RG3 type guy who can come in and be a top tier QB. Not replacing a mid-level QB with anothe mid-level QB, a la Dalton, Kaepernick, Locker, McCoy, Claussen, Trent Edwards, etc. The list of failed mid-level QBs is endless.

I firmly believe if Newton, Luck, or RG3 had fallen to the Bills, we would have taken them without hesitation. Sometimes it just doesnt work out, and it costs too much to make it work out at the time.

We agree many times but this time I have to (slightly) disagree. Over three successive drafts, pretty much any team that needs a QB figures out a way to get one. We have for one reason or the other pointedly avoided doing so. I am not arguing in favor of the ones we were not in a position to draft (Newton,Luck, RGIII) but I do wonder how it is that each of the ones that were available to us in the lower rounds are not upgrades to Fitz ? I am not stuck on needing a 'franchise' QB, but I do want at least a competent, reliable, no frills/no boo-boo QB to lead this team. I am not so sure that one or more of the others you list is not that guy. Also, Gailey is known to develop QBs. He may have done a better job of these prospects. I frankly think Gailey is at his wits end w.r.t Fitz and his leash is getting shorter and shorter. IMHO, while Fitz is not as bad as he looked last Sunday, he has consistently underperformed and made cringe-inducing errors that cost us games (Giants game last year, the three INTs this Sunday). His problems are beyond what coach Lee can fix. I was happy imagining him to be a mid-tier QB but continually he is proving me otherwise. I had similarly given up on Losman and Edwards several games before they were ditched by the Bills. I am reaching that point fairly rapidly. I was told the rib injury and injuries to others on O hampered Fitz in the second half of last season. While I somewaht agree, the start of this season is trending to point us otherwise.

We need to get aggressive, and move up to get THE guy in the next draft. Some say that is Barkley, right now however, I believe that may be Geno Smith.

The FO took over in 2010.

The QBs in the 2010 draft were HORRIBLE. After Bradford, we were stuck picking from Tebow, Claussen, and McCoy. NO THANKS to all of those.

The 2011 draft had Cam Newton, and thats about it. Locker was a big risk and not a better choice than Dareus for our team. Gabbart and Ponder are less than exciting, to say the least. And Dalton is Fitz 2.0.

The 2012 draft had Luck and RG3 and they went 1-2. Tannehill is nothing great, and then the drop off continues through the mid-level guys.

So outside of getting a broken FA (such as Palmer who was sitting at home), the FO really hasnt had a chance to get aggressive about a QB.

I would LOVE to see that change this year, and have the Bills trade up (if need be) to get the top guy in the draft.

This post makes the most sense of anything QB related....The opportunity was just not there for a QB. Some will argue about Russel Wilson....but color me less than impressed...

I don’t think the problem with the FO is them not trying to get a franchise QB, it’s that they keep thinking that they have one when most of us can already see that they don’t. Fitz is the perfect example…we all see his major flaws but Chan and Co appear to truly believe they can transform him into a franchise QB. It’s also why we passed on so many of these QBs…we already had our guy…or so the FO thought. Back to the drawing board.

They have tried to get a franchise QB, They traded up for JP Losman, drafted Edwards in the 3rd, traded for Drew Bledsoe and Rob Johnson, went outside the Box and signed Doug Flutie from the CFL, etc.

They have tried going in all the directions that you suggest above and none of them have worked out, because its not so easy to get a franchise QB

Everyone thought Brees was done after his injury, and almost all the teams passed on him except NO

More then half the league also passed on Flacco

Cutler is on his second team and would have cost us the only guy to perform well on Sunday (and for the next few weeks our starting RB) and our starting LG

Palmer has been up and down, and the Bengals were even willing to take a risk on a rookie QB over him, another guy who after his injury teams were hesitant

Dalton was passed on by the entire league and if palmer didn't hold out would have been the backup in Cinncy right now

Schaub, kolb, and Cassell were all guys that were risky moves because they had limited starting experience and so far, only he has really been successful

Vick put up worse numbers then Fitz this week and has been injured alot, along with the bad feelings against him due to his criminal past

Aaron Rodgers was also passed on by almost the entire league, and was given a few years to sit behind and learn from Favre

Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Wilson, Cousins, and McCoy have all achieved nothing as starting Qbs in the league and a couple are not even starters

Mallet has never even started an NFL game yet and currently gets to sit behind Brady and come in for Mop up duty

Tebow is basically being used as a trick play/WildCat QB player and not a QB

Brandon Weedon had a QB rating of 5.0 this week (And hes the guy that the Browns started over McCoy)

Matt Hasselback couldn't win the starting job in Tenn and is a backup to Locker right now

The statements "half the league passed on him" is not an authentic statement. Half the league who needed a QB did not pass on him. He was the 24th pick, and the 23 teams that passed on Rodgers did not need a QB. In fact, only a couple of teams in that draft were looking for a QB early.

Yet people always say well the whole league passed on him when most of the teams that did were not in the market for a QB...heck not even GB was, but his value was too good to pass up there as a possible heir apparent to Farve, and I would say that looks pretty damn brilliant right now.

Of your whole list, the one that I really blame the FO for not getting is Andy Dalton. The whole world, and at least a couple other planets know we need a quarterback, with the exception of a few Fitz Kool Aid drinkers. I am not sure Aaron Williams is going to turn into being worth where he was drafted. Brees was only pursued by the Saints and Dolphins because he was coming off a serious shoulder injury. The McFumble pick still puzzles me and not just because he has turned out to be a disaster since he was drafted, it was a shocking surprise when he was picked. At this point, I don't think I would give up more then a 4th or 5th round pick for Carson Palmer, he hasn't been the same since the Steelers rolled into this knee in the playoffs years ago. The other ones are just throwing names out there to help make the FO look bad, and for God's sake they don't need any help in that area. Like I said, next to not picking Ngata when the whole world thought we were going to, the McFumble pick in the biggest draft day surprise over the past 15 years for the Bills and it only gets worse as each game goes by.

I don’t think the problem with the FO is them not trying to get a franchise QB, it’s that they keep thinking that they have one when most of us can already see that they don’t. Fitz is the perfect example…we all see his major flaws but Chan and Co appear to truly believe they can transform him into a franchise QB. It’s also why we passed on so many of these QBs…we already had our guy…or so the FO thought. Back to the drawing board.

That might just narrow down the biggest reason for this teams lack of success for what seems like forever. When us out of shape, beer drinking, burger eating, fake jersey wearing die hard fans can see something and the so called "Pros" that get paid big bucks to see these things can't see them, success is nothing but a pipe dream.