The ones that got away

peterpan

We could have been aggressive in last year's draft. Both St. Louis and Minnesota were begging someone to trade up into their spots.

FO could have had RG3 if they would have had the vision to make it happen. Not saying the moves on defense were a waste - just short-sighted and superfluous.

You win in this league by scoring more points than the next team. You can do that directly - by having the better playmakers and an elite QB, or you can do it passively by hoping that your defense can stop their offense.

I understand that they are not mutually exclusive but in most instances your emphasis and the character of your football team is with one or the other.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the bills man. Guaranteed to start someone else's backup qb and not go to the playoffs. So my question is where all our fitzmoney lovers ? Come on out of the woodwork and show yourselves. "Fitzmagic" "Fitz is so great" "the Amish gun".. I said he was a turd the last two years. He is a turd. No receivers right? Maybe the bills can reunite him with chad Johnson.

The statements "half the league passed on him" is not an authentic statement. Half the league who needed a QB did not pass on him. He was the 24th pick, and the 23 teams that passed on Rodgers did not need a QB. In fact, only a couple of teams in that draft were looking for a QB early.

Yet people always say well the whole league passed on him when most of the teams that did were not in the market for a QB...heck not even GB was, but his value was too good to pass up there as a possible heir apparent to Farve, and I would say that looks pretty damn brilliant right now.

half of the league did pass on him though, wiether or not they needed a QB or not may have been their reasoning for passing though. I think now, looking back, there are few teams that drafted before 24th that would have taken him if they knew he was going to be an improvement over what they had. 23 teams thought he wasn't worth taking in the first as a starter or developmental backup that early except for Green bay. To say that Buffalo made a mistake not taking him is the same as saying the 23 teams before GB made a mistake not taking him.

The Bills didn't even have a chance to get him cause they had just drafted Losman the year before and had no 1st that year so they would have been in the group of teams that were passing on him cause they didn't need a QB

For the record, this is not a hindsight/whiner/woe-is-me thread. This is a thread that just shows you have to gamble and take a chance to get a stud QB. And we all know stud QBs are the only way to win consistently in today’s NFL.

The Bills haven’t even TRIED to get a good QB in here in the last 8 years. Sure they traded for Bledsoe – that was ten years ago. Losman sucked – but at least they tried to get a QB! I just wish they tried harder for one of the good ones, and that was what – 8 years ago?

If Brady retired at the end of the Season – would the Pats wait 8+ years to sign or draft or trade for a good QB?

NO gambled on Brees with his injury– why didn’t the Bills?

The Bears gambled on Cutler who is a whiney b*tch– why didn’t the Bills?

The Ravens gambled on Flacco who was a D1AA player– why didn’t the Bills?

The Texans gambled on Schaub who had only started 6 or 7 games– why didn’t the Bills?

The Eagles gambled on Vick who killed dogs or something– why didn’t the Bills?

The Raiders gambled on Palmer who sat out and was ready to retire– why didn’t the Bills?

The Bengals gambled on Dalton who the entire league passed on– why didn’t the Bills?

The Packers gambles on Rodgers when they still had a HOFer on the roster– why didn’t the Bills?

How do the Bills think they are going to find a franchise QB without signing one in FA, trading for one, or drafting one? Fact is the Front Office needs to sack up and bet their careers on a guy and they just don’t seem to have the balls to do it. And, as you can see, there have been plenty of opportunities to do just that - its not like there have only been bums out there for the taking.

*I do think the poster who mentioned the Bills FO likely thought they had a franchise guy has a point – but that just points to more ineptitude in this teams FO and is not an excuse IMO.

Edited by peterpan

Other guys we could have drafted, without trading up or any other BS include: Aaron Rodgers, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Russell Wilson, K Cousins, Colt McCoy, Mallet, Tebow, Brandon Weeden.

Who knows who I am forgetting, but when are the Bills going to sack up and TRY – JURT TRY – to get a FRANCHISE quarterback?.

Buffalo didn't have a first-round pick in 2005, as they "just tried" to get a franchise QB in the previous draft, trading up for the right to draft JP Losman.

For the record, this is not a hindsight/whiner/woe-is-me thread. This is a thread that just shows you have to gamble and take a chance to get a stud QB. And we all know stud QBs are the only way to win consistently in today’s NFL.

The Bills haven’t even TRIED to get a good QB in here in the last 8 years. Sure they traded for Bledsoe – that was ten years ago. Losman sucked – but at least they tried to get a QB! I just wish they tried harder for one of the good ones, and that was what – 8 years ago?

If Brady retired at the end of the Season – would the Pats wait 8+ years to sign or draft or trade for a good QB?

NO gambled on Brees with his injury– why didn’t the Bills?

The Bears gambled on Cutler who is a whiney b*tch– why didn’t the Bills?

The Ravens gambled on Flacco who was a D1AA player– why didn’t the Bills?

The Texans gambled on Schaub who had only started 6 or 7 games– why didn’t the Bills?

The Eagles gambled on Vick who killed dogs or something– why didn’t the Bills?

The Raiders gambled on Palmer who sat out and was ready to retire– why didn’t the Bills?

The Bengals gambled on Dalton who the entire league passed on– why didn’t the Bills?

The Packers gambles on Rodgers when they still had a HOFer on the roster– why didn’t the Bills?

How do the Bills think they are going to find a franchise QB without signing one in FA, trading for one, or drafting one? Fact is the Front Office needs to sack up and bet their careers on a guy and they just don’t seem to have the balls to do it. And, as you can see, there have been plenty of opportunities to do just that - its not like there have only been bums out there for the taking.

*I do think the poster who mentioned the Bills FO likely thought they had a franchise guy has a point – but that just points to more ineptitude in this teams FO and is not an excuse IMO.

8 years ago is completely irrelevant. Heck, 4 years ago is irrelevant. You're using hindsight to criticize a FO that doesnt even exist anymore. Totally pointless in all regards.

If you want to keep the discussion from 2010-on, then go for it.

ALSO, a big foot note to everyone who keeps mentioning Vick. The Bills WANTED Vick. They went after Vick. Vick wanted to come here and start. It was ROGER GOODELL that told him he would be "better off" going to Philly. http://espn.go.com/b...to-philadelphia

Edited by DrDareustein

Yes it is.

Modrak & Co. clearly thought enough of Trent Edwards in 2007 to spend a 3rd round pick on him, not to mention that they had tried to trade up to draft him...I'd say that counts as trying to get a QB.

And just as a matter of house cleaning, that was 5 years ago.

NO gambled on Brees with his injury– why didn’t the Bills? They had traded for Bledsoe and just drafted Losman

The Bears gambled on Cutler who is a whiney b*tch– why didn’t the Bills? They clearly felt like--at the time--Edwards could get the job done

The Ravens gambled on Flacco who was a D1AA player– why didn’t the Bills? Same answer as above

The Texans gambled on Schaub who had only started 6 or 7 games– why didn’t the Bills? Losman was coming off of a pretty good 2nd season as a starter

The Eagles gambled on Vick who killed dogs or something– why didn’t the Bills? Who says they didn't try? If you remember, the commissioner basically told Vick to sign in Philadelphia

The Raiders gambled on Palmer who sat out and was ready to retire– why didn’t the Bills? Have you seen him play since that trade? He's brutal.

The Bengals gambled on Dalton who the entire league passed on– why didn’t the Bills? They clearly felt like--at the time--Fitzpatrick could get the job done

The Packers gambles on Rodgers when they still had a HOFer on the roster– why didn’t the Bills? They didn't have a first-round pick that year, and had just traded a bundle of picks for JP Losman, who hadn't started a game yet

They basically did this with Fitz.

The fact of the matter is that it's been poor decisions by the front office, not a lack of risk-taking. This is true at every position on the team, not just QB.

Paying guys like Dockery & Walker at OL

Paying a guy like Fitz at QB

Paying a guy like Kelsay at DE

Paying a guy like McGee at CB

ETC

Buffalo didn't have a first-round pick in 2005, as they "just tried" to get a franchise QB in the previous draft, trading up for the right to draft JP Losman.

Exactly my point. The last time the Bills made a move for a QB - the single most important position on a football team, who can single handidly turn a franchise around, WAS IN 2004

Yes it is.

No it's not.

In the past decade, what qbs have we drafted? Trent and JP. We traded for Bledsoe. Is that all? Meanwhile we haven't had 1 QB worth a lick (unless you're one that thinks Fitz was worth a lick last season, lol). Qb is the most important position and we seem to just wait around and hope to sign some retread bum. That's what we do. So is losing

Exactly...It's been said around here a million times...Take a flyer on a Kid and try to develop him how about? Mel Kiper says he would Draft a QB...at least one...every year...Because if you hit on a guy later on, even if you already have a guy, you're going to get a premium back...Gailey is supposed to be this Offensive mastermind...Do what Andy freaking Reed does and DEVELOP QB's...How does Nick Foles look so far? The Broncos got Manning AND Drafted Osweiler...

The Bills blind faith in Fitz is beyond idiotic...It proves they don't have a clue...What they do have is plenty of back-up's and cut players at positions where they still have needs...They're tops in that department...Joke... B-)

Exactly my point. The last time the Bills made a move for a QB - the single most important position on a football team, who can single handidly turn a franchise around, WAS IN 2004

No it's not.

Except that they did spend a 3rd round pick on Edwards in 2007, just as I said in my previous post.

Ignore it if you want, but that's an attempt to get a QB.

They also traded for a QB this very off-season.

They also signed a former Heisman trophy winner this off-season.

If that's your point, then you're mistaken.

No it's not.

You may not want to hear it, but yes, it is. Simply declaring that it's not doesn't make it so.

Jay Cutler – Traded for two 1st and a 3rd, instead we have/had Aaron Maybin, Spiller, and used the 3rd to trade up for Levitre

Wrong - We took 'Lil Donte Whitner 8th instead of Cutler

Vick – Free Agent we neglected to pursue.

Thank all that's right in the universe for this. Explain why anyone other than a magazine or game cover artist thinks this guy can play football....

Exactly...It's been said around here a million times...Take a flyer on a Kid and try to develop him how about? Mel Kiper says he would Draft a QB...at least one...every year...Because if you hit on a guy later on, even if you already have a guy, you're going to get a premium back...Gailey is supposed to be this Offensive mastermind...Do what Andy freaking Reed does and DEVELOP QB's...How does Nick Foles look so far? The Broncos got Manning AND Drafted Osweiler...

The Bills blind faith in Fitz is beyond idiotic...It proves they don't have a clue...What they do have is plenty of back-up's and cut players at positions where they still have needs...They're tops in that department...Joke... B-)

Yes, all those Andy Reid developed QBs...look how good Kevin Kolb is! Don't we all want Mike Kafka? So far, for the record, Nick Foles record as an NFL starter is identical to mine.

It's not "blind faith" in Fitz...they wanted to give the guy a second full season as a starter to prove himself. If he flops, they'll move on from him.

Why are people so irrational about this?

We could have been aggressive in last year's draft. Both St. Louis and Minnesota were begging someone to trade up into their spots.

FO could have had RG3 if they would have had the vision to make it happen. Not saying the moves on defense were a waste - just short-sighted and superfluous.

You win in this league by scoring more points than the next team. You can do that directly - by having the better playmakers and an elite QB, or you can do it passively by hoping that your defense can stop their offense.

I understand that they are not mutually exclusive but in most instances your emphasis and the character of your football team is with one or the other.

Unfortunately, teams much higher up in the draft were in far stronger positions to make a deal with the Rams. We never could have given the Rams the value they sought in moving down 8 spots vs. just 3 spots. And RG3 was the only player worth what Washington gave them, given how Minny never made a deal with anyone, even though they tried like hell.

I don't think anyone would say there was a QB on the board worth it after the Rams traded the pick and Washington took Griffin. The way the first 8 picks played out shows just that.

GO BILLS!!!