Four WRs?

Last year we started the season with 5 WRs (not counting Smith) and ended up getting Smith on the field as a WR as well as some street free agents.

Yet this year we're only keeping 4 WRs which is really surprising to me.

Gailey likes to throw the ball, likes to use crossing routes and likes 4 WR sets. So there's going to be some injuries. And players do need to be rested some time. It seems unlikely we'll get through the season with just Johnson, Jones, Nelson and TJ playing wideout.

Does this mean we can expect to see CJ more at wideout?

Does Chan & Nix think we can pick up a FA WR better than the ones we cut?

Is Chan planning on using less 4 WR sets this year and maybe run the ball more?

What do you guys think???

Edited by hondo in seattle

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year we started the season with 5 WRs (not counting Smith) and ended up getting Smith on the field as a WR as well as some street free agents.

Yet this year we're only keeping 4 WRs which is really surprising to me.

Gailey likes to throw the ball, likes to use crossing routes and likes 4 WR sets. So there's going to be some injuries. And players do need to be rested some time. It seems unlikely we'll get through the season with just Johnson, Jones, Nelson and TJ playing wideout.

Does this mean we can expect to see CJ more at wideout?

Does Chan & Nix think we can pick up a FA WR better than the ones we cut?

Is Chan planning on using less 4 WR sets this year and maybe run the ball more?

What do you guys think???

I think Gailey has yet to show his strategery or if it's even in place yet. But i like the run the ball theory a lot.

I think sometime between now and Sept 9th either Tavaraus Jackson or Tyler Thipen will be cut freeing up another spot As long as they are cut prior to game 1 they don't qualify for the full years pay, so then like you bring back another WR. It also may be they plan to do some special things with Dorin Dickerson that would line him up outside too. I also doubt John Potter will last the full year unless the team stays very healthy. At some point, they likely will need that roster spot.

It's already been discussed in a lot of threads, but to me, they easily have more than enough, for more than enough reasons.

1] The team usually uses either a 1 back set, so need for 4 receivers (of any kind), or an empty backfield where there are 5 receivers although usually one of them is a RB.

2] We start with the fact we have four WR who are all going to be active and play: Stevie, Jones, Nelson and Graham. So very few plays do we even need anyone else, especially because Chandler the TE is usually one of the 5 receivers, or CJ/Fred Ex is. Frankly, I cannot remember one play when we actually had 5 WRs out there but it may have happened.

3] There are going to be a lot of plays this year where last year we used an extra WR but this year we will have CJ and Fred Ex in at the same time. They will do one of four things: Both in the backfield -- One in the backfield and one split like a WR -- One in the backfield and the other in motion wide -- or One in the backfield and he goes in motion wide so we have an empty backfield. That should give defenses fits. But it eliminates the need for a #5 WR on a LOT of plays.

4] Dorin Dickerson made the team and is likely to get a few snaps a game as an H-back which will be the routes and package that normally a WR would be on the field.

5] Brad Smith, likewise, will have a few plays a game as WR that will take the place of a #5 WR which will serve two purposes, to get him the ball once in a while, and to make the defense unsure if he's in the game to play WR or we will split Fitz wide and run the Wildcat.

6] The Bills have experimented a lot this pre-season with Lee Smith in there in a two TE set when they want to run, and sometimes short passes which we did very little of last year. CJ and Fred had a couple nice gains in the few carries out of this formation in the summer. It also, however, eliminates the need for that #6 WR (if you count Smith as #5).

So even if we kept only 4, with Brad Smith, Dickerson,CJ and Fred, we have 8, and Chandler and Lee Smith makes 9-10, plenty enough.

I think we will have another receiver on the roster within 2 weeks.

The issue was keeping thigpen over a 5th receiver. When TJ is up on it thigpen is cut and a WR added.

It's alo posdble they wnt to use the Izr slot on brooks but he has to make it to 53 before he goes on. When he goes on a slot opens and the get another WR/TE.

It's already been discussed in a lot of threads, but to me, they easily have more than enough, for more than enough reasons.

1] The team usually uses either a 1 back set, so need for 4 receivers (of any kind), or an empty backfield where there are 5 receivers although usually one of them is a RB.

2] We start with the fact we have four WR who are all going to be active and play: Stevie, Jones, Nelson and Graham. So very few plays do we even need anyone else, especially because Chandler the TE is usually one of the 5 receivers, or CJ/Fred Ex is. Frankly, I cannot remember one play when we actually had 5 WRs out there but it may have happened.

3] There are going to be a lot of plays this year where last year we used an extra WR but this year we will have CJ and Fred Ex in at the same time. They will do one of four things: Both in the backfield -- One in the backfield and one split like a WR -- One in the backfield and the other in motion wide -- or One in the backfield and he goes in motion wide so we have an empty backfield. That should give defenses fits. But it eliminates the need for a #5 WR on a LOT of plays.

4] Dorin Dickerson made the team and is likely to get a few snaps a game as an H-back which will be the routes and package that normally a WR would be on the field.

5] Brad Smith, likewise, will have a few plays a game as WR that will take the place of a #5 WR which will serve two purposes, to get him the ball once in a while, and to make the defense unsure if he's in the game to play WR or we will split Fitz wide and run the Wildcat.

6] The Bills have experimented a lot this pre-season with Lee Smith in there in a two TE set when they want to run, and sometimes short passes which we did very little of last year. CJ and Fred had a couple nice gains in the few carries out of this formation in the summer. It also, however, eliminates the need for that #6 WR (if you count Smith as #5).

So even if we kept only 4, with Brad Smith, Dickerson,CJ and Fred, we have 8, and Chandler and Lee Smith makes 9-10, plenty enough.

I think the idea of having more than 4 receivers is if one gets dinged up you have another to toss into the game. If I am a defense and one reciever goes out, we are looking to take one or two more out.

For the most part I agree with Kelly. I do think we will see different formations this year. The spread we have been playing has been to mask the OL issues and lack of proctection. I think you will see more 3WR sets with 2RBs, 3WR with 1 RB & 1 TE, 2WR sets and so on. There are plently of players who can make a play if the get the ball. With a more solid OL, we should expect to see a more potent and varied offensive system.

I have no idea what their plans are with Thigpen. I would be surprised to see him end up being cut later in the season if there is no one worth picking up. The cream of the cut players will be signed over the next 2 weeks, so unless the injury bug happens, do you cut Thig to resign Hagan or Roosevelt? Is it honestly worth it at that point?

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

Here's some magic math guys

3 qbs (fitz, TT, Tjack)

5 wrs (sj, DJ, tj, Dn, bs)

Brad smith isnt real qb depth. It's not that hard.

Thigpen was competing for the 53 spot with a 6th wr or a variety of other positions. He wins because fitz could break a leg 3 plays in, while if a receiver goes down we can still run cj, or chandler, or any number of guys on pass routes. The same couldnt be said for qb2.