Bills to acquire Tarvaris Jackson

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why give up a 5th or 6th pik for a medicore QB like the current ones we already have?

Because the mediocre QBs we have on the roster have pretty much zero chance of being the answer that we want. Though the mediocre QB from Seattle also has little chance of being the answer, this minimal chance is slightly more than the chance VY or Thigpen have of being the answer.

The key to this is what's the question that Gailey is seeking an answer for.

It is not who has the goods to be the starting QB the Bills want. Gailey and the Bills have already answered that question to their satisfaction as shown by signing Fitzy to a huge deal. The question is who can be a credible back-up for 3 or so games if Fitzy gets hurt?

Thigpen has shown with his less than productive play last year and so far in pre-season that he is not the answer. VY showed with his two picks against the Steelers scrubs that he also is not the likely answer.

Is Tavaris Jackson the answer?

No if you are looking for a season long consistent starter.

However, is he a better bet than VY or Thigpen to be a reasonable short-term back-up if needed. Yep, if only because our two current guys present no real chance and a former starter who has shown an inability to close in his previous failed attempts at being a consistent starter has at least better possibilities than our two guys.

FWIW, MMQB tweeted that at this time its a 7th round pick

If we got him for a 7, then Im sorry but there is no room to criticize this move. I'd much rather have TJax as our #2 than VY. And I'm find with B.Smith in the #3 role. Fitzy's job wasn't open to competition anyway, so he deserves to play the first few games of the season at least before people start charging the gates with pitchforks and torches.

Man Vince Young blew it. I was hoping he make it .

But my question is when will the Bills draft a QB that has some REAL skills.

Trading for some team retreads is getting old to me.

Still not convinced Fitz is the guy. I hope he can do it. The Bills really ought to invest in a QB high next year it seems to be working for lets see..

Bengals, Vikings,Fins( hope not :) ) Jags, Colts, Redskins,Seattle has all drafted QBs for the future.

Our scouts have missed on these guys. :wallbash:

Perhaps you do not see spending a first on Losman or a 3rd on Edwards as being an an attempt to invest heavily in a QB who was generally regarded as a better prospect than any of the QBs in the next year's draft or Edwardsw who had the Bill Walsh reccomendation.

My sense is that the Bills FO has proved to be so poor at evaluating talent and the coaching staff has been so poor at developing talent that it is spending heavily on draft picks who get anointed as the new savior which is getting old to me.

If we got him for a 7, then Im sorry but there is no room to criticize this move. I'd much rather have TJax as our #2 than VY. And I'm find with B.Smith in the #3 role. Fitzy's job wasn't open to competition anyway, so he deserves to play the first few games of the season at least before people start charging the gates with pitchforks and torches.

I agree that you cannot criticize this move.

What you can criticize is the inaction during the off season. Was there no option other than Young? Was there no QB worthy of a pick in this year's draft? That people should feel free to criticize. Getting Jackson...meh, but I'm happier with him over the 2 options the Bills had.

This is Fitz team period. He would have to have 20 ints against 5 TDs before they would consider replacing him with a QB of T Jax, Thig, or VY caliber. Fitz has earned way more than just a "few games" .

Well all in all, :thumbsup: I like it. TJ is decent and started last year was 7-7 and threw 3000 yards had a slightly better QB rating than Fitz (and less ints) while playing injured a bunch of the games too. I would dump VY and TT now give him time this week and start him Friday.

I for one am glad to see the Bills try to make a move even at the last moment. Evidentally they are not happy with the play of Young and Thigpen. Much better to try something and not just sit back and do nothing. Go Bills

Why give up a 5th or 6th pik for a medicore QB like the current ones we already have?

Because mediocre is an improvement over horrendous?

Glad I missed this thread over the weekend. This is a smart move. For the price of next year's Asper, Bills pick up an average backup QB, who's better than the backups they currently have on the roster.

Why the controversy?

My own personal opinion.....

- The bills knew Thigpen wasnt the answer last year

- They took a chance that VY might have something.......but he was slow to grasp the playbook....then in a short amount of time in the preseason game before last he looked decent......but then he fell like a ton of bricks when he got extended time against Pittsburgs backups......his body language and play looked VERY bad.....almost like it was affecting the other players I cant even describe it.......

It was after that game if I wonder Nix and Gailey started talking about what happens if Fitz goes down for any period of time this year......NEITHER of our backups have shown any reason that they might be able to manage the team.....they saw an opportunity get get a QB who was young......was a recent starter.......wasnt a locker room cancer.......who has PLAYOFF experience. And they took a chance with a draft pick so late that they might not even make the team anyway

Personally....I dont understand the complaint......for a 5-6th round pick you are getting a young veteran QB....for your backup......if he was a great QB then he would be starting somewhere.......even the seattle hawk fans think he is the perfect backup QB......so why wouldnt he be the perfect backup QB fo us?

Kudos to Nix for trying to fix a glaring problem on this team the best way he can

if the Bills were convinced Thigpen sucked last year, maybe they could have addressed QB in the draft - with someone like Russell Wilson

if the Bills were convinced Thigpen sucked last year, maybe they could have addressed QB in the draft - with someone like Russell Wilson

There may already be a thread on this topic.

13 pages of posts on this topic.

If we had a decent starting QB this topic would have produced only one page of posts.

The PANIC here isn't about the Bills backup QBs. It's about ALL of the QBs on this team and how none of them are any good!

Correction...the panic in your brain is about all the Bills QBs. You and a few others who have predictably made appearances here are singing the same tune. Most are not whistling with you.

When Vince Young was in the game yesterday, I kept reminding myself, "this is the guy who singlehandedly willed his Univ of Texas team to a championship. This guy was the third overall pick in the draft, embarrassed the Bills when he was a Titan, went to multiple Pro Bowls, and had a bright future ahead of him. This is that guy." Man, he has fallen off.

That's EXACTLY what I kept doing. He's lost all of his mojo