Steroids should be allowed and encouraged in sports

I've been an advocate of legalizing them for some time, but my rationale is slightly different. I fully admit that they're harmful to the health of users, but I also think that pro football players are already engaging in many behaviors that jeopardize their health (brain trauma, taking in massive amounts of calories, proteins and fats while training, etc....) To me it's only taking it one step further. I also think that if they were legalized they could be better regulated and athletes could take them under better medical supervision, hopefully minimizing the risks. I understand that this poses many legal and ethical questions around use in children (as well as many others) but I do believe it warrants serious debate.

Also, regardless of my (or anyone else's) position on the steroid debate, Lance Armstrong is a POS who is finally getting what he deserves.

I like your first paragraph a lot, great points. But can you clarify the bold? What has he done that you dont like?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont completely disagree. These are professional grown men. They make their living from their bodies. If there is something that makes their bodies bigger/stronger/faster then I understand why they would want to take them.

If there was a drug that made people 100X smarter, wouldn't we want our professional doctors/scientists/etc taking it? Even if it has some negative side effects.

HOWEVER, the major issue, imo, is the trickle down effect it would have to college, high school, and even little league programs. Once the pros start taking them, then the college kids have to in order to get looked at as a prospect, then the high school kids have to in order to get a scholarship. THAT is the problem as I see it.

But if we are just talking about Pro Athletes in a vaccuum, then yes, shoot it up!

And I like Lance Armstrong, I like the work his foundation does. And much like Lance, I dont really care what they "vacate", he won those races.

Yep

Oh boy. What a topic. I will admit that I don't know much about steroids by I do know a good amount about football, sports and common sense in general. I am sold on the fact that MOST professional athletes use steroids or some form of growth enhancement. If that's actual pills, needles, or lbs upon lbs of creatine weight shakes. It's out there. I personally agree with both sides. I don't think it's good for you in circumstances that are not overlooked by a physician. for that reason, if they were legal, it might be better so that these drugs can be monitored safely. If they continue to be illegal, the athletes WILL use them and continue to find ways to use and get away with it un-monitored.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that 70%+ or more of players in the NFL are using. You don't get to be as fast as these guys, as big as these guys, or as physically dominant without taking steroids. I personally know for a fact that kids on my high school football team were on them. I personally know certain Bills, or ex Bills are on them and no I'm not giving up any sources but I can tell you safely that there are at 3 ex Bills that I know for sure based on thier names being in a little black book of steroid buyers as well as other very famous athletes. For the respect of my sources I will never give anything more so please don't ask. I'm simply stating this for the fact that many athletes use them and it's rediculous to try and hide it. It's laughable actually.

What? What is that? "I know you are but what am I?"

Shut the !@#$ up. Go take some more steroids.

Hey if you want to be a moron that's fine but I didn't start out insulting you nor am trolling as this is a serious question that needs to looked at. But if want to throw tomatoes from your Balcony then you are only showing who the idiot is.

BTW I don't use steroids bc I want to make gains myself but many people need these peds to get ahead so who are you to say they can't.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Steroids are 'good' for muscle regeneration, right? Anyone know of drug therapy for A/MCL's or achilles? Do they have those, and are they legal? That's what I'd like to see.

If they can take the THC out of pot, can't they reduce to a great degree, the negative effects of these PED's thru similar methods?

Or, because this science of muscle enhancement is in a relatively infant stage, do we HAVE to let the evolution of steroids run its' course (taking the good with the bad) before we can achieve ALL positives from its' use? conundrum...

I've been an advocate of legalizing them for some time, but my rationale is slightly different. I fully admit that they're harmful to the health of users, but I also think that pro football players are already engaging in many behaviors that jeopardize their health (brain trauma, taking in massive amounts of calories, proteins and fats while training, etc....) To me it's only taking it one step further. I also think that if they were legalized they could be better regulated and athletes could take them under better medical supervision, hopefully minimizing the risks. I understand that this poses many legal and ethical questions around use in children (as well as many others) but I do believe it warrants serious debate.

Also, regardless of my (or anyone else's) position on the steroid debate, Lance Armstrong is a POS who is finally getting what he deserves.

not to mention, we live in America, land of Liberty. But yes, you have a valid argument there from that angle.

I like your first paragraph a lot, great points. But can you clarify the bold? What has he done that you dont like?

I should have added a "IMO" there.

With that said, here's my take on Lance. Disclaimer - This is all opinion. Based on what I've read, and regardless of whether they should be legal, I feel he did use them, and he then coerced others into lying to cover up for him. To me, everything that comes out of his mouth on the subject is propaganda meant to intimidate others into leaving him the !@#$ alone. He comes off as a total bully. I read yesterday that they had 10 former teammates ready to testify against him. How the !@#$ does that happen without him 1. being guilty and 2. being a dick. Even if he was only guilty (and not a dick) most of his teammates would probably be quiet. If he was a dick, and not guilty, you're not going to find 10 teammates to perjure themselves.

Again, this is my opinion, based on what I've read - others can disagree, I don't really care.

Steroids are 'good' for muscle regeneration, right? Anyone know of drug therapy for A/MCL's or achilles? Do they have those, and are they legal? That's what I'd like to see.

Steroids are prescribed everyday for recovery purposes. I got some injections a few weeks ago for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Edited by Captain Caveman

How is this any different? Referring to posters that disagree with you as "crusaders" is still unflattering and insulting.

You get what you give (not to you as you have been professional)

So if they legalize steroids then maybe they can make domestic abuse/violence as a full fledged felony instead of a misdemeanor and the NFL will no longer exist!!!

that makes perfect sense :doh:

This is an interesting debate. Its too bad simpletons like dc tom can't add anything to the discussion but some comic relief.

Count me as one of those who are against it though. You wouldn't be able to regulate steroid use by making it legal anymore than you can regulate the thousands of other legalized drugs that people are addicted to (painkillers, anti-depressants, etc.). If athletes are doing them now while they are illegal, what makes you think they won't take that extra dosage behind closed doors to gain even more of an edge?

The steroid issue is just a derivative of the bigger picture of having a level playing field, and that's what the real debate essentially is. More intensive testing and stiff penalties (criminal even) is the only answer. Athletes wouldn't cheat if they knew they were certain to get caught. Right now, the possibility of getting away with it is there and that needs to be eliminated.

Edited by QB Bills

I live in Los Angeles (born and raised in Rochester), and I don't get to go back home too often. So, just judging by the various threads that I've seen posted today, I was wondering: is there a huge wave of Stupid moving through Upstate New York today?

With Lance getting screwed for being good and NO PROOF that he has used any PEDs is it time to legalize Steroids and other performance enhancers?

I came across this article by Mark Madden making some interesting reasons why (and it was written 12 yrs ago, which shows how long this has been debated)

" It's time for the government to legalize steroids and similar substances. It's time for pro sports to legalize steroids and similar substances.

Because so many athletes are using, legalizing is the only way to get a level playing field at this point. Every athlete would have the option legally. Morally and physically, each athlete would still have a choice to make. But at least the situation would be out in the open. Steroids and like drugs could be regulated. They could be taken under the care of a team physician. Dangerous levels of usage could hopefully be avoided.

There is no way to stem steroid use in pro sports, particularly in football. Guys are jamming needles in their buttocks with both fists. Go ahead, drink spring water all day. Eat chicken breasts and egg whites until you sprout feathers and grow a beak. Lift weights until your muscles explode. But very few men become NFL-lineman size without being on the juice. By legalizing, regulating and supervising, the health risk would at least be minimized.

Of course, there's no such thing as absolutely safe steroid use. Steroids undoubtedly break your body down over the long haul.

But that's the choice an athlete makes. By maximizing physical performance, one maximizes earning potential as well. If you offered an athlete a drug that would guarantee him glory and riches but knock 10 years off his life, I dare say most would take it. Heck, I'd take it. Ten years off the end of my life? Big deal. Those are the worst years anyway. Many would gladly sacrifice those useless days in the old folks' home for life in the fast lane now. It's a personal choice.

I'm not suggesting that teen-agers use steroids, although many do. Steroids should be legal only for those 21 and over. Some underage kids would get steroids anyway, just like they get alcohol. But that unsolvable problem is as old as the idea of controlled substances. If steroids were legalized, some athletes would choose to not take them. Fine. I would not only respect their decision, I would applaud it. Sports should be about an athlete using his God-given gifts with no artificial help.

Sports used to be that way.

Not anymore."

http://old.post-gaze...0819madden5.asp

You are a idiot thanks for making the people around me look smarter!!

I live in Los Angeles (born and raised in Rochester), and I don't get to go back home too often. So, just judging by the various threads that I've seen posted today, I was wondering: is there a huge wave of Stupid moving through Upstate New York today?

Wave, you ask? Wave? Surfers ride on waves.

You are thinking of a tsunami of stupid!

Steroids are great for you until you die very prematurely. Sound logic advocating for that type of substance to be used by everyone.

It's only make our sports better. We have gotten too used to viewing an inferior product when we have entire armies of steroid fed and injected athletes just waiting to enhance our viewing pleasure.