Steroids should be allowed and encouraged in sports

I generally try to be nice (relatively speaking) off PPP.

But will one of the moderators please let me know if I'm allowed to be vicious and insulting in this thread? Because B.B. is just begging for it...

Sorry Tom , just because we have different views doesn't mean we can't be civil about.

Perhaps you can explain why you think PEDs are so bad?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally try to be nice (relatively speaking) off PPP.

But will one of the moderators please let me know if I'm allowed to be vicious and insulting in this thread? Because B.B. is just begging for it...

No, he probably sells

Steroids :nana:

Edited by HOUSE

Part of the reason I watch football is because these guys have to work so hard to be such good athletes and do things that my 175 pound frame could never accomplish. If you introduce steroids (minus the obvious health concerns) the game isnt real anymore. Its a bunch of jacked up people built on a synthetic drug pulverizing each other. Gone is the skill, finesse and work ethic that makes myself enjoy watching them so much and appreciate the hard work they put into it. If steroids were legalized and encouraged, I wouldnt watch.

Its why wrestling is so stupid and those guys have their hearts explode and knees collapse at age 35. The league is adament right now about protecting people from concussions and your solution is to make the players bigger and faster and tell them to use a drug we know has horrible effects on the body and the brain. http://www.drugabuse...abolic-steroids

From the article "

However, long-term steroid use can affect some of the same brain pathways and chemicals—including dopamine, serotonin, and opioid systems—that are affected by other drugs, and thereby may have a significant impact on mood and behavior."

Dopamine and serotinin are the main chemicles in the brain that cause things like depression, anxiety. Once the game ends for them, the world is going to become a dark horrible place, where their body has not only taken a serious pounding for years and years playing already violent game, but steriod use which plenty of health studies have shown, long term exposure can seriously !@#$ a persons body and general life after the game ends. You like seeing players die young, kill themselves, have roid rage? Thats whats gonna happen. If you cant see that, then I'm sorry.

Valid health concerns but greatly sensationalized to scare us into thinking they are bad.

Are far as athletes not working hard and no skill involed, etc nothing could farther from the truth, most guys work harder bc they can.

I can not seriously believe you are arguing for Steriod use. Steriods are proven to hurt your body. You do not need them to live. Even in moderation under controlled supervision they can cause long term harm to your body. To say Alzado would have gotten cancer whether he used steroids or not is ignorant on your part. Not every one was born to play a professional sport. Its what makes it such an accomplishment. have you also not wondered why we have so many more acl and ligament related injuries? Because while steriods or PEDs build muscle they do not build ligaments. Thus you put more and more strain on ligaments. I am just trying to arguee your crazy point about being able to watch a better product on the field. You would have guys tearing ligaments left and right.

It makes no sense to legalize steroids or PEDs that cause harm to your body now and later in life.

Ask yourself if you had a son and he wanted to take them, would you be ok with it??

Growth hormone does

Steroids actually shrink brain tumors. Lyle Alzado did steroids 30 years ago. Do you think maybe the pharmaceutical grade steroids and GH we have today arent a wee bit safer than the bathtub moonshine those guys did in the 70's and 80's. Not to mention, like ALL drugs over use and abuse have deleterious side effects, but under the direction of an ETHICAL physician, they can be powerful tools to promote healing and strength training. It is the prohibition that leads to the missuse and untoward effects not the drugs. Not to say there aren't risks involved in using these or any drug but under proper supervision they can be monitored and mitigated.

Thank you! Finally some one who can think for themselves and isn't brain washed by media zealots.

"Because so many athletes are using, legalizing is the only way to get a level playing field at this point. Every athlete would have the option legally. Morally and physically, each athlete would still have a choice to make. But at least the situation would be out in the open. Steroids and like drugs could be regulated. They could be taken under the care of a team physician. Dangerous levels of usage could hopefully be avoided."

Given the 'option' as noted in the article leaves the games in the same predicament. An uneven playing field.

As it says, each athlete would have a decision to make and I am sure some would choose not to. Hence, we have a field of athletes with varying levels of chemical enhancement; in addition to those 'natural' athletes. Sure....we 'know' who is using but it still would be far from an even playing field.

Call me a purist, but I'd rather admire an athlete(s) with natural ability maximized by his/her own work competing against same.

Thank you! Finally some one who can think for themselves and isn't brain washed by media zealots.

You want honest answers yet you paint those that disagree with you in this unflattering light?

Nice.

Given the 'option' as noted in the article leaves the games in the same predicament. An uneven playing field.

As it says, each athlete would have a decision to make and I am sure some would choose not to. Hence, we have a field of athletes with varying levels of chemical enhancement; in addition to those 'natural' athletes. Sure....we 'know' who is using but it still would be far from an even playing field.

Call me a purist, but I'd rather admire an athlete(s) with natural ability maximized by his/her own work competing against same.

But our "sports" would be so much "better" according to the good Barbarian here.

You want honest answers yet you paint those that disagree with you in this unflattering light?

Nice.

you mean from crusaders

I can respect that.

I just feel that the quality of sports were are used to seeing would go down and then many would secretly wish peds were used but just not talked about.

I'm against it and here's why.

As far as the players go I don't care so much. they'd be grown men making a decision for themselves "and their family". However, I have a nephew who is a fine young man. He was a sports hero in high school. He hoped to take it to the next level. If it were legal in the pros and became normal for them to do so, then if you are on the outside and want in, you have to do it too. Out of all the high school wanna be sports heroes would then need to do the same to have a chance. Then you'd have a whole bunch of young adults with screwed up lives because they took steroids so they could play in the NFL, only they never did.

I'd prefer to stay with the crappy football we have now than this happen.

It's just not worth it.

As far as the players go I don't care so much. they'd be grown men making a decision for themselves "and their family". However, I have a nephew who is a fine young man. He was a sports hero in high school. He hoped to take it to the next level. If it were legal in the pros and became normal for them to do so, then if you are on the outside and want in, you have to do it too. Out of all the high school wanna be sports heroes would then need to do the same to have a chance. Then you'd have a whole bunch of young adults with screwed up lives because they took steroids so they could play in the NFL, only they never did.

It's just not worth it.

Another good set of reasoning against this idiotic idea.

But as to the bolded, why on earth would ANYONE think that having a league full of steroid users would make for "better football?" This is idiotic on so many levels. No case can be made for it.

I dont completely disagree. These are professional grown men. They make their living from their bodies. If there is something that makes their bodies bigger/stronger/faster then I understand why they would want to take them.

If there was a drug that made people 100X smarter, wouldn't we want our professional doctors/scientists/etc taking it? Even if it has some negative side effects.

HOWEVER, the major issue, imo, is the trickle down effect it would have to college, high school, and even little league programs. Once the pros start taking them, then the college kids have to in order to get looked at as a prospect, then the high school kids have to in order to get a scholarship. THAT is the problem as I see it.

But if we are just talking about Pro Athletes in a vaccuum, then yes, shoot it up!

And I like Lance Armstrong, I like the work his foundation does. And much like Lance, I dont really care what they "vacate", he won those races.

I've been an advocate of legalizing them for some time, but my rationale is slightly different. I fully admit that they're harmful to the health of users, but I also think that pro football players are already engaging in many behaviors that jeopardize their health (brain trauma, taking in massive amounts of calories, proteins and fats while training, etc....) To me it's only taking it one step further. I also think that if they were legalized they could be better regulated and athletes could take them under better medical supervision, hopefully minimizing the risks. I understand that this poses many legal and ethical questions around use in children (as well as many others) but I do believe it warrants serious debate.

Also, regardless of my (or anyone else's) position on the steroid debate, Lance Armstrong is a POS who is finally getting what he deserves.

Sorry Tom , just because we have different views doesn't mean we can't be civil about.

Perhaps you can explain why you think PEDs are so bad?

:rolleyes:

Let me make this clear, AGAIN.

Disagreeing with me doesn't make one an idiot. Being an ignorant troll, regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with me, makes one an idiot.

It's just not worth it.

I Totally agree that high schoolers should not be allowed to use as they are still developing and could become sterile if started too young. However your nephew may need these to get to the next level which could set him up for the rest of his life or can settle working 9-5 like the rest of us.