Steroids should be allowed and encouraged in sports

Another good set of reasoning against this idiotic idea.

But as to the bolded, why on earth would ANYONE think that having a league full of steroid users would make for "better football?" This is idiotic on so many levels. No case can be made for it.

In fact bigger faster stronger likely equates to far more damaging hits, so the injuries will be more devastating in turn counteracting the speeded up healing as you will be healing from worse hits.

It's only make our sports better. We have gotten too used to viewing an inferior product when we have entire armies of steroid fed and injected athletes just waiting to enhance our viewing pleasure.

I want robots. Screw steroid users.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact bigger faster stronger likely equates to far more damaging hits, so the injuries will be more devastating in turn counteracting the speeded up healing as you will be healing from worse hits.

In addition to the obvious physical aspect of football, there's the wonderful mental aspect of it as well. Are steroids going to help QBs be able to read a defense any better? Or a MLB doing something to counter? I'm amazed at the shortsightedness just from that simple standpoint alone. Football is all about mind games out there and steroids add NOTHING to equation in that regard.

As for robots, nah. They can't be hurt. I want roller ball stuff. We need to see people DIE out there to get the most bang for our entertainment buck.

Is an athlete eating 8000 calories of protein a day "natural"? IMO at least the line is already very fuzzy.

Yes. Not 'normal' or 'typical' but natural. I would include compact sources still legit. I.e. protein shakes etc.

If you are trying to build muscle mass the best source of calories is protein. You need to be in positive balance. I.e. take in more than than you consume and work your tail off. Sort of like what Maybin claims to do every time he adds 30 lbs of muscle. :lol:

Steroids are prescribed everyday for recovery purposes. I got some injections a few weeks ago for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

You received corticosteroids.....NOT anabolic steroids. BIG difference.

I think this is the same 'thought' that the earlier poster had re: brain tumors 'shrinking' under the effect of steroids. Again....these are corticosteroids (like prednisone) not anabolic ones that athletes use. Corticosteroids are like 'supercharged' motrin (and yes i'm simplifying). they are anti-inflammatories and have nothing to do with building muscle mass. Corticosteroids can be used to reduce brain swelling around a tumor but do not affect the tumor, per se, with few exceptions---> Certain lymphomas are responsive to corticosteroids (in concert with other chemo agents) but I suspect the prior poster was referencing the swelling in the brain tissue around a 'typical' solid brain tumor.

This is potentially a topic that can go 'round and 'round forever. Medically....there is no question that use of anabolic steroids is bad for you long term. Psychologically (roid rage, depression), physically (tendon ruptures) and in terms of long term mortality/risk (cardiac effects, etc) are merely a few. Much is hard to quantify... but the evidence that is there is strong that you shouldn't mess with this stuff. Just my 2 'medical' pennies.

Exactly.

The fact that someone is even arguing that steroids and HGH or PEDs should be allowed in the game is nuts.

And the question really is why? You want to watch bigger stronger faster guys? They will come. Look at today's athlete to 30 years ago...better training and better legal/healthy suppliments are producing better athletes. So you want to speed up the process. Let your kids watch 300lb guys that can run a 4.2 40y/d dash. Its only a decade or two away.

I also notice how the original poster refused to answer my question-

Would you let your son or encourage him to take Steroids or PEDs or HGH or anything for that matter???

Exactly.

The fact that someone is even arguing that steroids and HGH or PEDs should be allowed in the game is nuts.

And the question really is why? You want to watch bigger stronger faster guys? They will come. Look at today's athlete to 30 years ago...better training and better legal/healthy suppliments are producing better athletes. So you want to speed up the process. Let your kids watch 300lb guys that can run a 4.2 40y/d dash. Its only a decade or two away.

I also notice how the original poster refused to answer my question-

Would you let your son or encourage him to take Steroids or PEDs or HGH or anything for that matter???

If my son was an adult and needed it to go pro I would no problem, the chance to play a sport for a living and make millions doesn't come around every day.

You received corticosteroids.....NOT anabolic steroids. BIG difference.

I think this is the same 'thought' that the earlier poster had re: brain tumors 'shrinking' under the effect of steroids. Again....these are corticosteroids (like prednisone) not anabolic ones that athletes use. Corticosteroids are like 'supercharged' motrin (and yes i'm simplifying). they are anti-inflammatories and have nothing to do with building muscle mass. Corticosteroids can be used to reduce brain swelling around a tumor but do not affect the tumor, per se, with few exceptions---> Certain lymphomas are responsive to corticosteroids (in concert with other chemo agents) but I suspect the prior poster was referencing the swelling in the brain tissue around a 'typical' solid brain tumor.

This is potentially a topic that can go 'round and 'round forever. Medically....there is no question that use of anabolic steroids is bad for you long term. Psychologically (roid rage, depression), physically (tendon ruptures) and in terms of long term mortality/risk (cardiac effects, etc) are merely a few. Much is hard to quantify... but the evidence that is there is strong that you shouldn't mess with this stuff. Just my 2 'medical' pennies.

Thank-you for the insight. I hope it's appreciated.

As to the bolded, I don't see why it should even be a subject that goes round and round given the overwhelming and irrefutable affects of long term steroid use. But that assumes an educated forum.

If my son was an adult and needed it to go pro I would no problem, the chance to play a sport for a living and make millions doesn't come around every day.

Now what if your HS aged son needed them to get D1 looks to even get to that spot?

As that's the inevitable end game of this discussion. (or track it younger even)

Edited by NoSaint

Thank-you for the insight. I hope it's appreciated.

As to the bolded, I don't see why it should even be a subject that goes round and round given the overwhelming and irrefutable affects of long term steroid use. But that assumes an educated forum.

You're welcome. I concur with you. It's a health risk plain and simple. It also never ends. You 'need' the juice to get to college; then you need it to excel; then you need it to improve your draft status; then you need it to be a starter; then....... then your ego won't allow (most I presume) you to be 'average.' It adds up to years of abuse, provided you haven't hit the wall earlier as a result of the stuff. Years of abuse are not going to have good long term effects.

With Lance getting screwed for being good and NO PROOF that he has used any PEDs is it time to legalize Steroids and other performance enhancers?

I came across this article by Mark Madden making some interesting reasons why (and it was written 12 yrs ago, which shows how long this has been debated)

" It's time for the government to legalize steroids and similar substances. It's time for pro sports to legalize steroids and similar substances.

Because so many athletes are using, legalizing is the only way to get a level playing field at this point. Every athlete would have the option legally. Morally and physically, each athlete would still have a choice to make. But at least the situation would be out in the open. Steroids and like drugs could be regulated. They could be taken under the care of a team physician. Dangerous levels of usage could hopefully be avoided.

There is no way to stem steroid use in pro sports, particularly in football. Guys are jamming needles in their buttocks with both fists. Go ahead, drink spring water all day. Eat chicken breasts and egg whites until you sprout feathers and grow a beak. Lift weights until your muscles explode. But very few men become NFL-lineman size without being on the juice. By legalizing, regulating and supervising, the health risk would at least be minimized.

Of course, there's no such thing as absolutely safe steroid use. Steroids undoubtedly break your body down over the long haul.

But that's the choice an athlete makes. By maximizing physical performance, one maximizes earning potential as well. If you offered an athlete a drug that would guarantee him glory and riches but knock 10 years off his life, I dare say most would take it. Heck, I'd take it. Ten years off the end of my life? Big deal. Those are the worst years anyway. Many would gladly sacrifice those useless days in the old folks' home for life in the fast lane now. It's a personal choice.

I'm not suggesting that teen-agers use steroids, although many do. Steroids should be legal only for those 21 and over. Some underage kids would get steroids anyway, just like they get alcohol. But that unsolvable problem is as old as the idea of controlled substances. If steroids were legalized, some athletes would choose to not take them. Fine. I would not only respect their decision, I would applaud it. Sports should be about an athlete using his God-given gifts with no artificial help.

Sports used to be that way.

Not anymore."

http://old.post-gaze...0819madden5.asp

I could care less because it's cycling. But no proof? Really? You know, other than his entire team actually seeing him do it, but I mean, why take their word for it...

Father-of-the-year.

He'd probably stick him in the azz w/ the needle.

You get what you give (not to you as you have been professional)

I haven't read every post in this thread so your point is taken--- it's possible there is some trolling going on that I'm unaware of.

Now what if your HS aged son needed them to get D1 looks to even get to that spot?

As that's the inevitable end game of this discussion. (or track it younger even)

If he's not that good then he will never make it so then no, steroids at a young age can cause sterility and not allow the boy to fully develop

I personally have no problem with the NFL, or any other private sports organization, banning them. It's an unfair advantage and research shows they're damaging to bodies over the long-term.

I have a huge problem when Congress puts on a pony show, grilling sports people for public spectacle. Also have no problem with them being decriminalized. What you decide to put in your own body should be your personal choice, period.

If he's not that good then he will never make it so then no, steroids at a young age can cause sterility and not allow the boy to fully develop

So at what age are you ok to stop regulating this thing? How do you regulate below that age if it's impossible to regulate as is?

Edited by NoSaint

Hey Gunrack, do yourself a favor and picture your son for a second. Now picture him lying in a coffin dead with his mother grieving and screaming, "WHY DID YOU LET HIM DO THIS?"

Do you want me to find the articles to link to you and drive home through your thick skull?

Grow up dude, how bout encouraging your son to, I dunno, read? So that when he DOESN'T make it to the NFL or college, he won't be part of the growing band of raving lunatics taking over the country...

quit while you're ahead, or in your case...just quit