Need some TBD help - my wife, a 38 y/o stroke survivor, is running the

todd

Last year my wife had a stroke at the age of 37 after running the Finger Lakes Triathlon. She has recovered very well. As a matter of fact, she is awesome and she has officially kicked the stroke's ass. Inspired by this, she will be running the NYC marathon this year on the American Stroke Association team in an effort to raise money and awareness to fight this disease.

I would be grateful if my Bills brothers and sisters would help her reach her fundraising goal.

Here's her page if you would like to donate: http://www.stroke.org/goto/WendyAbbott

If you are interested, here's the back-story:

After the triathlon on Sunday, September 11, 2011, we were walking to the transition area to get her bike and other stuff. Suddenly, Wendy felt dizzy, so we sat her down and she put her head between her knees. Wendy is an experienced marathoner, and we didn't consider this out of the ordinary, given the amount of exertion she just went through. We thought she was probably dehydrated. We were wrong.

After a few minutes this passed, and she felt better. When we got to the car, she realized she forgot her flip flops so she went back to get them. While she was jogging back, she started getting dizzy again and started walking. Next thing she knew she collapsed face first on the ground. Fortunately, she collapsed in front of the medical tent and was soon swarmed by people.

Because she was vomiting, the people from the medical tent said she should go to the ER at Thompson Hospital.

At the ER, they gave her fluids and she felt much better. We were there about and hour when we were getting close to the Dr. letting her go. Suddenly, she had massive pain on the right side of her head and face, and was totally numb and weak on her right side, including arms and legs. She wasn't able to touch her nose with her finger and failed other neurological tests. Not good. If you haven't seen a stroke, this will freak you right out. Especially if it is your beautiful 37-year-old wife who is in amazing physical condition.

They sent her to get a CT scan. It didn't show much. They sent her to get an MRI, and it showed a cut in an artery in her spine at the base of her neck (called a Vertebral Artery Dissection) and the stroke. They decided to send her to Strong via ambulance. This all happened over the course of about 6 hours.

While at strong, the neurologist told us that she had a massive clot entirely blocking her right vertebral artery at the spot of the dissection, and that they were very concerned. The Dr. told me that if the clot got loose and traveled to her cerebellum, it could cause even more damage and she could become severely disabled or die. She was already having balance issues because of the damage to her cerebellum the stroke caused.

The Dr. said the best we could hope for would be that the clot would solidify, leaving the artery blocked, but cause no danger for further strokes.

She was in ICU for two days, and overall was in the hospital for just under a week, and was home to watch the Bills beat Oakland. And throughout the first months of her recovery, one of the things that I took joy in was the time we spent together on the couch on Sundays, watching the Bills surprise the NFL. And oh, that Patriots game! I was worried her blood pressure would get too high, and the clot would come loose! Honestly, I do thank the Bills for bringing some happiness to a very difficult time.

Her recovery was slow, but steady. I had to give her shots 2x per day in her stomach with anti-coagulant medication. She would get tired walking up the stairs. This is a woman who is used to running 26.2 miles, and now she has trouble doing the stairs? Wow.

She was out of work until after Thanksgiving, but worked steadily at regaining her stamina. In December we found out that the clot had completely dissolved, and she was out of danger. Better than we hoped for! She was cleared to try to run.

Her balance very quickly improved, and by New Years, she was running a few miles. She worked really hard, and ended up running the Boston Marathon in April of this year! 26.2 miles, in 90 degree heat, just 7 months after a stroke.

I'm telling you, you cannot stop this woman. Don't even try to get in her way, because she'll run right over you. She's relentless, and she's awesome.

We never did get her flip-flops back, though. :lol:

Her balance very quickly improved, and by New Years, she was running a few miles. She worked really hard, and ended up running the Boston Marathon in April of this year! 26.2 miles, in 90 degree heat, just 7 months after a stroke.

Yeah, but how many hits did she have?

As much as it hurt me, she read Bruschi's book during her recovery. Pretty inspiring, especially since he delivered all those hits.

And saved orphans, nuns and puppies from a burning bus as it went off a cliff.....

And saved orphans, nuns and puppies from a burning bus as it went off a cliff.....

But I'm pretty sure I'd rather listen to Todd's wife discuss football on ESPN.

Glad she is doing so well in her recovery and best of luck to her in the NYCM. It's always a great event.

There are few things in this world as inspiring as the story of a person who suffers a setback after accomplishing a very difficult task, only to get up off the mat to kick the setback in the nuts and go after another remarkable task.

Congratulations to your wife.

Edited by LABillzFan

Thanks for the good words, everyone. We consider ourselves to be very blessed. My perspective on things has definitely changed. I suppose being that close to losing your wife does that. Or at least it should!

Thanks for the good words, everyone. We consider ourselves to be very blessed. My perspective on things has definitely changed. I suppose being that close to losing your wife does that. Or at least it should!

Glad to see your wife is doing well, however I think she should get her vision checked. You is UG A LEE. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Great article! Glad to hear that she's doing so well. Those endurance races are tough - you have to be in unbelievable shape to do them. I go to the Boston Marathon as a spectator every year and last year was killer with the heat - amazing that anyone finished in that.