Bills Release Merriman!

I based my opinion on what ive read and heard. I compared that to his play against the skins and vikes. Neither game he did anything worth noting. I didnt see any explosion what so ever from him....didnt see him push anyone back. Honestly without the juice hes simply an average at best football player.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It only cost them 10M to find out and 2 defenses to figure it out. You pay a price changing players from 5 tech DE's into DT's, 34OLB's into 43 DE's, 34ILB's into MLB's, etc. Merriman was a casualty of changing defenses and simply not playing the RDE position.

For all the Buddy love going on here, it's interesting to note that during his tenure as GM, Buffalo is 10-22, now on their second defense (and DC) not to mention some very questionable draft picks and free agent signings. Every GM makes mistakes, but some make more of them. Merriman is a microcosm of how football management is struggling to build this team 3 offseasons into their latest rebuilding.

There is some truth here^^^

What a yawn!

This is absolutely no surprise!!!!

Merriman is done and the Bills were not going to keep two useless substitute pass rushers who make about $5 million per year (Kelsay and Merriman)

Merriman was clueless against Minnesota. He looked lost and slow. Goodbye.

Kelsay was equally clueless, but he was slightly quicker getting to the pile after the play ended. Why they keep Kelsay is a complete mystery? He has no beneficial impact on the defense at all. In fact, just the opposite. Opposing offenses just load up and pad their stats when Kelsay is in the game.

I won't consider the Bills defense as a serious threat until the coaches and management get rid of Kelsay. (throw in McKelvin too!)

For all the Buddy love going on here, it's interesting to note that during his tenure as GM, Buffalo is 10-22, now on their second defense (and DC) not to mention some very questionable draft picks and free agent signings. Every GM makes mistakes, but some make more of them. Merriman is a microcosm of how football management is struggling to build this team 3 offseasons into their latest rebuilding.

See you in December!

Does anyone have a run down of games played vs money earned while with Buffalo??

Does that matter somehow? Let's just assume it's closer to 0 games played and millions of dollars paid. But again, does it matter now? I guess it might to anyone needing another reason to tell the rest of us how stupid the FO is (not you, necessarily).

GO BILLS!!!

Kyle Moore.....who has been tearing it up at camp

It may just be my opinion, but I think Kyle Moore has looked like the 3rd best player at the position, behind only Williams and Anderson. Definitely something to be optimistic about.

There is some truth here^^^

The only truth is that billsvet will piss on anything and everything the bills do. He'll leave once we start winning. Look at last year, he was nowhere to be found when we were 5-1, yet he crawled out from under his rock once we started losing.

What a yawn!

This is absolutely no surprise!!!!

Merriman is done and the Bills were not going to keep two useless substitute pass rushers who make about $5 million per year (Kelsay and Merriman)

Merriman was clueless against Minnesota. He looked lost and slow. Goodbye.

Kelsay was equally clueless, but he was slightly quicker getting to the pile after the play ended. Why they keep Kelsay is a complete mystery? He has no beneficial impact on the defense at all. In fact, just the opposite. Opposing offenses just load up and pad their stats when Kelsay is in the game.

I won't consider the Bills defense as a serious threat until the coaches and management get rid of Kelsay. (throw in McKelvin too!)

:thumbsup: I agree!

Like many others have said, my initial reaction when I heard the news of the cut was that there is more to this story. However, after thinking about it and digesting it for a bit, all of these things came to mind:

1. How did the Bills acquire him in the first place? That's right, the Chargers who drafted him and saw him play at a high level up close thought he was no longer worth keeping.

2. What exactly has he done (on the field) as a Buffalo Bill?

3. Has Merriman ever played DE in a base 4-3 defense?

4. One guy on the current coaching staff who was NOT around when the Bills acquired Merriman was Dave Wannstedt. Maybe Wanny was not convinced that Merriman would be able to play at a high level in his system.

5. The Bills could very well keep a number of fringe type players on the final roster (i.e. Brad Smith and C. Potter). That 53-man list is going to start filling up quicker than we think. Merriman will not be the only player who gets cut that is highly questioned.

6. I don't think the coaches were EVER relying on Merriman to be a solid contributor. I think they HOPED he could flash some of his former self, but I don't think they had any expectations.

7. On the field, this deal never panned out for the Bills. Oh, well. At least they tried. It was a fairly low risk-high reward. We never saw the high reward, but I appluad them for taking a chance to make the team better. And what did it really cost the Bills other than some $?

8. Off the field, Merriman may very well have been a great return on investment. He was a great spokesman for Buffalo, and helped recruit a number of our current players like Nck Barnett. Remember a few years ago, when we couldn't sign decent free agents? This past off-season the Bills managed to land THE most coveted player in free agency -- and I bet Merriman's presence was part of why Mario was willing to come here.

9. Considering that Merriman had been a good soldier for the Bills, the front office decided to be classy and cut him early enough to potentially land a job with another team.

Edited by 2003Contenders

The reactions to the news of CUTTING A BACKUP are ridiculous.

I just had to turn off the radio after Bulldog actually asked "Are we trying to win?" :wallbash:

No dummy, we just spent $100mil on Mario, and signed Anderson because we dont really care. I understand the move is kind of a surprise to people, and since Merriman was a "name" it gets everyone riled up, but cmon people... he was a backup, in the wrong scheme, coming off of surgery.

Get over it.