Bills Release Merriman!

Or maybe, as was quoted, he is better suited as a 3-4 lb. That is why we signed him. Now that we are a 4-3 d, he's out of place. Geez dude!!!

It's really no more complicated that this. He couldn't make the adjustment to 43 DE. Others have been playing better in camp and in the two scrimmages. They let him go as a result. And doing it now gives him a better chance of catching on with another team.

Some might see that as a sign of a correct personnel decision based on the needs of the team.

Others, not so much.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert Eddins is ahead of Moore on the depth chart. Both have played better than Merriman this preseason.

It hasn't been tweaked positionally yet. The only change has been Merriman taken off. For instance. We all know Delano Howell is ahead of Nesbitt for sure.

Merriman had 3 tackles in two preseason games against predominatly 2nd and 3rd stringers. he didn't take any 2nd team snaps during the Minnesota game as far as I could tell and despite playing almost 2 full quarters he was largely inneffective. If he can't beat guys who'll be on the street in 2 weeks WTF is he going to do against actual NFL players?

His burst last year was much better than it is this year. If you have the NFL preseason package go back and watch the 4th preseason game from 2011, he was litterally exploding off the snap. That has been non-existant this year. Give the snaps and the reps to Moore, he's at least go a change of getting to the QB.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Seems like the Bills just didn't think he was a fit for the 4-3. Also seems like he wasn't physically where the Bills wanted him to be at. Interesting I thought he would make a good 4-3 situational pass rusher. Seems like outside of Kelsay/Anderson they didn't have much depth at DE. Wounder who makes the roster in Merriman's place. Also it does free up 4.5 million of cap room, good move to get Byrd and Levitre deals done.

Chris Kelsay was getting worried about his job and broke out those compromising pictures of Ralph again. Buddy freaked out and did the only drastic thing he could think of...cut Merriman. :w00t:

Merriman did not look good Friday night vs the 2nd and 3rd stringer. This does not surprise me at all. Actually gives me hope that the staff is cutting the dead wood from the tree no matter who they are.

Merriman had 3 tackles in two preseason games against predominatly 2nd and 3rd stringers. It didn't take any 2nd team snaps during the Minnesota game as far as I could tell and despite playing almost 2 full quarters he was largely inneffective. If he can't beat guys who'll be on the street in 2 weeks WTF is he going to do against actual NFL players?

His burst last year was much better than it is this year. If you have the NFL preseason package go back and watch the 4th preseason game from 2011, he was litterally exploding off the snap. That has been non-existant this year. Give the snaps and the reps to Moore, he's at least go a change of getting to the QB.

and this is the type of thing preseason can be good for. a lot of people said he was coasting, but if he was instructed to go get the qb like his job depended on it and he came out flat theres likely an issue going on.

thats not winning or losing the game, or even a play - its winning or losing individual battles based on what was asked to be done. we arent really privy to much if any of that information.

I'm assuming Merriman was released early so he could catch on with another team while the Bills had become convinced they would keep Kyle Moore instead of Merriman.

Here's Mark Gaughan's article on Moore:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article1004799.ece?two-bills-drive

In summary, Gaughan says Moore was misused in Tampa as a 3-4 DE. He's a better fit for a 4-3 and has "looked good" in camp. Gailey says:

"He has done a good job, He has to learn to play every aspect of the game. That is his thing right now. Kyle can rush the passer. We have to make sure everything else is in sync with our football team."

In other words, it seems Moore isn't as good against the run as he is pressuring QBs.

Seems like the Bills just didn't think he was a fit for the 4-3. Also seems like he wasn't physically where the Bills wanted him to be at. Interesting I thought he would make a good 4-3 situational pass rusher. Seems like outside of Kelsay/Anderson they didn't have much depth at DE. Wounder who makes the roster in Merriman's place. Also it does free up 4.5 million of cap room, good move to get Byrd and Levitre deals done.

most teams dont go terribly deep at DE. 1 elite player, 1 good starter, and a rotational player thats a solid vet plus some developmental guys is pretty standard issue (if not well above average still). especially with our DT situation.

its not like we are short on bodies on the line.

To tell you the truth, I don't know why we just wouldn't release Kelsay instead. Yeah yeah yeah, maybe the injuries have a lot to do with it. I don't care. I would still feel better if Kelsay was gone instead of Merriman.

And I feel better knowing you are not the decision maker for this franchise. Hummm, let's keep a 3-4 olb with a history of injuries instead of the 4-3 de., even though we are now a 4-3 d.

PED's usually stay in the body for a while even after stopping. Theoretically he could have still been getting benefits from the PED's he was caught using the season after he was forced to stop using them. Then once it clears his body and he's no longer putting new PED's into it--that's when the bad effects kick in like injuries and lack of burst and power that his body was capable of while on them.

All I can say is "wow, really?!?!" So ,the ped's stayed in his body 'till the next season?!?