Bills Release Merriman!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He's NOT a 43OLB. He is less of a 43OLB than he is a 43DE. Dont think we would have ever used him at OLB, even in a pinch.

Maybe not, but I don't see why (especially considering how much they've already paid him) he couldn't serve in a utility role. It's not like our LB corps is lighting the world on fire.

i'm surprised and not surprised. he will go somewhere else and probably look great. but he is a 3-4 lb which is understandable, he may have asked to be released after finding out he had no way off the bench and would just be a rotational player.

That is just not true. He had his best season after he was caught. And he had another full year with 10+ sacks after that. And he only failed one test.

i was going to chime in with the same. though the injuries may be related, he certainly played well until the legs started getting hurt, compounded by him not wanting to go under the knife until this year.

oh well. i had high hopes that he could be a role player but apparently not. like i said, still surprised he isnt being kept for say 10-15 plays a game, but not shocked hes gone.

The Bills are trying to be fair to Merriman and do him a favor by cutting him now and letting him pickup with a team.

I really wish they tried to trade him to an NFL West team, and ask for a team dinner when we're in San Francisco as the compensation, just so he isn't in the AFC East.

You know how this story goes. Merriman has a monster year on whatever 3-4 team picks him and the Bills look stoopid.

Hey Maybe the Ravens will pick him up now that Suggs is gone and that is his home team anyway. . .

This is a headscratcher. They bring the guy in after he's injured. He immediatley gets injured. They keep him around and switch to the 4-3. He gets injured again and they still keep him. He's finally healthy and they cut him....so they can develop Moore??

The whole saga is diagnostic of something. Not sure what yet.

Maybe not, but I don't see why (especially considering how much they've already paid him) he couldn't serve in a utility role. It's not like our LB corps is lighting the world on fire.

because he would be a very bad 43 olb. VERY BAD. a signing off the street would likely be better in that 43 olb role.

The Bills are trying to be fair to Merriman and do him a favor by cutting him now and letting him pickup with a team.

I really wish they tried to trade him to an NFL West team, and ask for a team dinner when we're in San Francisco as the compensation, just so he isn't in the AFC East.

You know how this story goes. Merriman has a monster year on whatever 3-4 team picks him and the Bills look stoopid.

Hey Maybe the Ravens will pick him up now that Suggs is gone and that is his home team anyway. . .

^^ this! I believe that they talked to Merrimen and said look, we're going to release you now instead of later so you can hook up with a team.

I am as shocked as anyone but we DO indeed have young talen on this team at both LB and DE. It was the right move if indeed the move was made in the interests of Merrimens contribution over the last couple of years. he was a great team guy and locker room pressence. I'm sad to see him go, but it does make sense.

Good luck to him, and I thank him for his efforts. I just hope he doesn't go to the Jets, Patriots or Fins..

Tim-

...really? Why?

because his game is all about moving forward. you dont want him in pass coverage on gronk, having to move backwards.

its a totally different position. just because the word linebacker is in both titles, does not mean the duties are interchangeable. you want him in the backfield, not in zone coverage floating around, not with his back to the qb trying to keep up with much faster players. he was a 4.65 40 guy when he came out of school, i cant imagine him faster now given the injuries to his legs.

Edited by NoSaint