Bills Release Merriman!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! Very interesting on multiple levels. I think the most interesting is what this says about what Nix/Gailey think about the younger talent on the DL. Or maybe he just wasnt really suited to play 43 DE??

I really liked the intensity he brought to the defense. Oh well...

According to Glazer, "Bills feel he's much better suited for a team that uses a 3-4 than a 4-3. Just texted w Merriman who confirmed they have released him."

I can totally understand that reasoning for cutting him.

Yeah, having his hand on the ground probably wasn't his strong suit. Still, I'm surprised Wanny couldn't have developed some kind of hybrid situatational type role for him...

Edited by Lurker

This makes me scratch my head.

Why not see how he plays this year and then decide?

Reports said he had surgery that finally corrected his lingering injury and Merriman has said how great he feels.

They must not see the same

Three things:

1. Merriman wasn't exactly lighting it up against third stringers

2. Kyle Moore has a much bigger upside

3. The money they were going to spend on Merriman this year can now be used on Levitre

That said, watch Merriman go to the Jet's and turn back into "Lights Out"! :w00t:

I wonder if this is to be followed by another failed drug test or something. Or perhaps a money issue?

It almost can't be a money issue. More likely an issue that the Bills, for the first time in a LONG time, have enough talent where they had to make some tough choices on who goes and who stays.

According to Glazer, "Bills feel he's much better suited for a team that uses a 3-4 than a 4-3. Just texted w Merriman who confirmed they have released him."

I can totally understand that reasoning for cutting him.

That's what I figured. He's just not a 43 DE.

Wow... WTF? There's obviously more going on behind the scenes none of us can know about, but I thought for sure, with all the time and effort we put into this reclamation project, we'd at least have him on the field this year to see how he really was. And all indications were good? There's definitely more to this story and I'm sure we'll hear about it soon.

Wow! Very interesting on multiple levels. I think the most interesting is what this says about what Nix/Gailey think about the younger talent on the DL. Or maybe he just wasnt really suited to play 43 DE??

I really liked the intensity he brought to the defense. Oh well...

Or maybe he really wasn't that good and between not being able to take PEDs and injuries couldn't be very good.

He's only 28, mid prime, so if he had a thing left, then I'm sure they'd have kept him for this season's big playoff run.

Wow! This is not a good PR move. Merriman had recruited the heck out of players based on all reports. I guess he wasn't as good as he advertised....

I see this differently, the Bills treat players very well and try to give them every opportunity to succeed. He doesn't fit their scheme so they're giving him an opportunity to try somewhere else, much like Jasper.

Full story

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-release-Merriman/71c77ff5-d184-4146-9dee-659b2f4e96c4

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

Yeah, funny how that works, huh.

LOL

Could be the staff.

Listen Brian Billick, we know you hate the front office and coaches because they passed you over, but you don't have to keep bringing it up in every thread.

He signed a two year deal for 10.5 million. His base salary for this year is 4 million and 3 million of that is guaranteed. Plus they already gave him a million or 1.5 at the beginning of this year. They save a total of 1 million for releasing him. Ultimately a terrible waste of money, but it was a risk they knew they were taking. I don't blame Nix too much for it.

EDIT: Btw, I got those figures off of Rotoworld right before I posted this, which is usually a very detailed, accurate source for contracts. Already they have taken down the contract details for him and just said he is a 2012 Free Agent.

Edited by Kelly the Dog