Kirk Cousins now

1B4IDie

Um how often do rookie 3rd round draft picks supplant a veteran as a backup? I'm not firm, I'm right. You clearly don't understand the role of the backup QB position in the NFL.

:lol: Clearly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/rex-grossman-battles-for-backup-qb-spot-works-with-starter-robert-griffin-iii/2012/07/29/gJQAgYu4IX_story.html

http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120821/SPORTS/208210324

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Fitzy and I really liked Kirk Cousins leading into the draft.

HE is a good size for a QB, 33 on the wonderlic, 40 plus starts in college, 65% completition percentage, won some big games.

Concerns were he had a noodle arm, and threw too many screens, Some "experts" opined concern that he was a "system QB" even if that system was pro style. Also worried that he wasn't athletic enough to escape a pass rush.

I know its preseason but he looked great again.

TJ Graham looks good too.

Redskins need some WR help, Bills need a development QB.a

What would you do if the Bills and skins swapped prospects?

We can get a Kirk Cousins development type QB in next years draft (which is probably exactly what they will do with the #2 pick next year)> Once OTA and training camp is over, the development period for new QBs is largely over until next year.

Bills gotta take a chance on a QB at some point. They will eventually ahve to 'reach' for one too bc all the other teams do....and it is no longer reaching. You have to value the positon more and take a chance

Had anyone considered the possibility that Vince Young is the guy Nix is taking a chance on? It doesn't look good now but if he can improve he might eventually take over from Fitz.

I agree Nix will likely draft a QB if one he likes is available in 2013. He hasn't drafted one before because he had to build up the depth of the Bills first. There is no better way to ruin a young QB than to start him on a crappy team. (see Sam Bradford) Build your team, especially your lines, THEN add your QB.

One more thing. 3 or 4 "Franchise QBs" come along every year. Now REAL franchise guys only come along rarely. But guys who get hyped up like they are the next Joe Montana are a dime a dozen. Reading armchair draft reports from guys who only watch games on TV our play Madden NFL is hilarious.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I live in the Washington area and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up cutting Grossman. I fully expect Cousins to be the 2nd stringer this year.

Buffalo may very well draft their "franchise" QB next year but it depends (of course) on this years' play of Fitz and Young.

We can get a Kirk Cousins development type QB in next years draft (which is probably exactly what they will do with the #2 pick next year)> Once OTA and training camp is over, the development period for new QBs is largely over until next year.

The Problem is I watched the 2011 and 2012 class of QBs very closely as I expected a QB to be picked in 2011 by the Bills.

Obviously I know Barkley, Jones, Wilson, Pachell, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith and Wilson but I don't know that second tier of QBs like Foles or Kirk Cousins.

Even though the 2012 draft seems to have been a pretty good one at this very early juncture, there really was no excuse for the Bills failing to draft Russell Wilson or Cousins in the 3d round. (I was hoping for Wilson, myself.) I believe it is a decision that will be regretted for a very long time, regardless whether TJ Graham becomes a solid contributor. If Fitz has another mediocre year, the Bills will be forced to use a first or second round pick on a QB or, even worse, give up a kings ransom to move up and pick Barkley, Jones or whomever else separates themselves from the pack this fall.

Edited by mannc

Even though the 2012 draft seems to have been a pretty good one at this very early juncture, there really was no excuse for the Bills failing to draft Russell Wilson or Cousins in the 3d round. (I was hoping for Wilson, myself.) I believe it is a decision that will be regretted for a very long time, regardless whether TJ Graham becomes a solid contributor. If Fitz has another mediocre year, the Bills will be forced to use a first or second round pick on a QB or, even worse, give up a kings ransom to move up and pick Barkley, Jones or whomever else separates themselves from the pack this fall.

None of the rookie QB's have proven a thing yet. Please save the "we should have drafted X QB" talk for later on.

None of the rookie QB's have proven a thing yet. Please save the "we should have drafted X QB" talk for later on.

How much later? I ask because there's a better chance that we won't be able to talk about these guys again until NEXT preseason, barring injury.

GO BILLS!!!

So let me get this straight:

If TJ becomes a good player and then they are able to draft a qb who has differentiated himself from the pack - that is a bad thing? Every year has kirk cousins, nick foles, and russell wilson's and next year is no different. The Bills are giving Fitz a chance here (whether you agree or not) and have vy in the wings if fitz falters/gets hurt. Why would it be a bad thing to use a first or second on a qb this year? I have felt since the end of the draft this year that will happen. The lines are solid and the depth has been added next year the qb of the future will be added.

How much later? I ask because there's a better chance that we won't be able to talk about these guys again until NEXT preseason, barring injury.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd say give it a couple years. Unless any of the rookie QB's the Bills had a shot at makes the Pro Bowl.

I'd say give it a couple years. Unless any of the rookie QB's the Bills had a shot at makes the Pro Bowl.

Clearly you don't understand that any rookie QB the Bills had a shot at that starts and/or plays very well in a preseason scrimmage is the equivalent of making the Pro Bowl.

Conversely, if TJ Graham doesn't make the Pro Bowl, he is a bust.

GO BILLS!!!

Clearly you don't understand that any rookie QB the Bills had a shot at that starts and/or plays very well in a preseason scrimmage is the equivalent of making the Pro Bowl.

Conversely, if TJ Graham doesn't make the Pro Bowl, he is a bust.

GO BILLS!!!

My bad. ;)

Well, it looks like Wilson has the inside track on the starting job in Seattle, beating out Flynn (who the Seahawks paid a lot of money for) and Jackson. So far, he looks like the kind of QB that would be nice to have on our roster. The point isn't that Wilson could be starting for the Bills this year, or that he's better than Fitz. It's that the Bills had (and still have) a serious need for a QB of the future. Wouldn't you agree that it would be better to have the potential future starter on our roster now, so that he can develop, rather than reaching for one next year? It's not necessarily true that there will be another Russell Wilson available next year, or if there is, that Buddy will be able to identify him.

So let me get this straight:

If TJ becomes a good player and then they are able to draft a qb who has differentiated himself from the pack - that is a bad thing? Every year has kirk cousins, nick foles, and russell wilson's and next year is no different. The Bills are giving Fitz a chance here (whether you agree or not) and have vy in the wings if fitz falters/gets hurt. Why would it be a bad thing to use a first or second on a qb this year? I have felt since the end of the draft this year that will happen. The lines are solid and the depth has been added next year the qb of the future will be added.

I guess one of my points is that we should have added a potential QB of the future this year instead of next year. If Fitz flames out this year, it would suck to have to entrust the starting QB job to a rookie next year. And if Fitz is injured, wouldn't you rather give your QB of the future some experience, rather than seeing VY play out the string?

Well, it looks like Wilson has the inside track on the starting job in Seattle, beating out Flynn (who the Seahawks paid a lot of money for) and Jackson. So far, he looks like the kind of QB that would be nice to have on our roster. The point isn't that Wilson could be starting for the Bills this year, or that he's better than Fitz. It's that the Bills had (and still have) a serious need for a QB of the future. Wouldn't you agree that it would be better to have the potential future starter on our roster now, so that he can develop, rather than reaching for one next year? It's not necessarily true that there will be another Russell Wilson available next year, or if there is, that Buddy will be able to identify him.

I guess one of my points is that we should have added a potential QB of the future this year instead of next year. If Fitz flames out this year, it would suck to have to entrust the starting QB job to a rookie next year. And if Fitz is injured, wouldn't you rather give your QB of the future some experience, rather than seeing VY play out the string?

Given the fact that they set up the great travaris Jackson vs whitehurst battle, where everyone lost, and I think Flynn was a terrible pickup.... I'm expecting this to look a lot like kolb vs Skelton in az. A guy terribly overpaid for vs a young guy whos an ok player but probably shouldn't be starting, until proven otherwise. Just my gut on the situation.

Edited by NoSaint

Well, it looks like Wilson has the inside track on the starting job in Seattle, beating out Flynn (who the Seahawks paid a lot of money for) and Jackson. So far, he looks like the kind of QB that would be nice to have on our roster.

Do you realize the absurdity of this statement? So far? TWO PRESEASON GAMES is so far.

The point isn't that Wilson could be starting for the Bills this year, or that he's better than Fitz. It's that the Bills had (and still have) a serious need for a QB of the future. Wouldn't you agree that it would be better to have the potential future starter on our roster now, so that he can develop, rather than reaching for one next year? It's not necessarily true that there will be another Russell Wilson available next year, or if there is, that Buddy will be able to identify him.

The Bills have had and still have a lot of needs. How many JP Losmans and Trent Edwards do you want? You're predicating the idea that Russell Wilson is going to be good. Do you understand that he has not thrown a single pass in an NFL game yet? Not one.

This comes close to having a sane, rational point. I disagree that backup QB was as pressing a need as other areas. QBs are a crapshoot. You're saying we should have rolled the dice this year instead of next which is fine and valid, but I'd rather build depth so if we need to start a rookie then he's not on an island. I'd much rather bring a rookie when we have a good-great defense tp help take the pressure off.

what if we trade__________ for _____________ and then ____________ to ___________________ and then __________ to ________________ for _____________?

we really need a thread for every guys idea of a trade? even without any news of it being a remote possibilty.