Jasper cut

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jasper is the most hyped 7th round pick I have ever seen. Too bad he seemed to try and have potential. But you knew his days were numbered when last pre-season he didn't look like he belonged with the third stringers.

Jasper is more of a 7th round personality than a NFL player. He got some good mileage out of being a nice guy. Espcially here.

I wouldn't waste a practice squad spot on his talent.

Another classic case of big guy that can't play football. Just because a guy has size, speed, a high vertical jump, etc does not mean he can play in the NFL.

Yep. The Jasper story reminds me a bit of the Leif Larson story. Like Jasper, Larson was a physical specimen. Larson once knocked out Klitchko in a boxing match. And I think Larson had the 2nd most reps on the bench press ever at the combine. But he did nada when with the Bills.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but I believe we may assume cutting Jasper was not based solely upon last Thursday night's performance.

Of course not, but the odd timing of the cut suggests that Thursday night's performance was the last straw--and based on what I saw, he didn't look nearly as bad as some of the other scrubs on that line. Why wouldn't they wait for the first round of cuts?

Of course not, but the odd timing of the cut suggests that Thursday night's performance was the last straw--and based on what I saw, he didn't look nearly as bad as some of the other scrubs on that line. Why wouldn't they wait for the first round of cuts?

Perhaps making room for an addition from outside? I'm thinking tight end...

That's me yo! I really don't know anything else other than him getting cut. Hopefully he lands somewhere because he was a good dude.

He did land somewhere--with the Bills, a team desperate for O-linemen. Against all odds, he was selected to play in the NFL. He had a year to learn what that required and he blew it. He may be a nice guy, but that doesn't make him at all deserving of another chance.

Either he didn't want to work hard enough or he just isn't that talented (there is no third explanation)--he doesn't belong in the NFL. In a few years, he'll be able to tell his grandchildren about it all.

He did land somewhere--with the Bills, a team desperate for O-linemen. Against all odds, he was selected to play in the NFL. He had a year to learn what that required and he blew it. He may be a nice guy, but that doesn't make him at all deserving of another chance.

Either he didn't want to work hard enough or he just isn't that talented (there is no third explanation)--he doesn't belong in the NFL. In a few years, he'll be able to tell his grandchildren about it all.

Spot on yet people do not want to hear or believe the truth. Buddy said it clear as day in that Jasper is not progressing, that he ends up on the ground more times than not. He very well may be a heck of a guy, but this is a business. At this point they may/may not sign someone due to the fact cuts are coming up. I would think if they do end up signing someone it will be a VET (maybe FS or TE)

I'm not saying he was or wasn't deserving of another chance, but because I know him personally I hope that he lands somewhere. I know he's been struggling, but does that mean that I can't root for the guy?

As for not working hard enough...didn't the guy lose something like 80 pounds last year? Just sayin'.

Jasper Tweet after being released:

IM HONORED TO HAVE BEEN A BILL...ITS HURTS BUT GOD HAS A PLAN FOR ME I LOVE THE BILLS AND #BILLSMAFIA YALL DO WORK THIS YEAR GOD BLESS

Great guy. I really hope he does well (in whatever) and we hear how he's doing in the next year or two.

I'm not saying he was or wasn't deserving of another chance, but because I know him personally I hope that he lands somewhere. I know he's been struggling, but does that mean that I can't root for the guy?

As for not working hard enough...didn't the guy lose something like 80 pounds last year? Just sayin'.

Everyone agrees he's a great kid. I don't know if he lost any weight--but that's beside the point. He didn't win a free year's membership to Curves. He was plucked form utter obscurity to land on an NFL roster. What did he do with that opportunity?

The hard work I was referring to was learning how to play football. Studying the game. Paying attention during the the free year of tutoring he got. By all accounts, he didn't take advantage of this. Or maybe he was never any good and Buddy just liked his workout video....

Edited by Mr. WEO

Sadly, I think this was purely a "get our guys who might actually play some more reps" move.

The true "nice" gesture was showing Jasper the interest and giving him an opportunity (and a salary) over the past 16 months. The kid really shouldn't have ANY bitter feelings towards the Bills; they gave him a chance to live the dream.

Mike had the luck to get on and NFL team by showing he was willing to do the work by losing the weight they asked him to. It's been a feel good story for me and there is no reason not to wish him well.

and i hope he had fun that day on the field when we dressed him to play,. Even though he did not .

as mentioned something very cool to tell the grandkids

I think Mr Jasper put alot of effort into his time with the Bills. I respect the man.

As he said god has a plan for him, if he believes that than i will too.

And thenof course, he does qualify for the old practice squad resigning. :flirt:

Edited by 3rdand12

Mike Jasper has been cut according to a BuffaloBills Tweet.

buffalobills

the #Bills have released OL Mike Jasper

8/13/12 1:45 PM

He is a no talent over hyped bumm that never had a chance in the nfl and I can say I was never a fan of his. So Jasper you fat slob don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you I will not miss you at all what a waste of a 7th round pick. Edited by shadowcat10

He is a no talent over hyped bumm that never had a chance in the nfl and I can say I was never a fan of his. So Jasper you fat slob don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you I will not miss you at all what a waste of a 7th round pick.

Whoa. Why are you being such an !@#$ to a great guy that worked his butt off but didn't work out?

It takes all three of these to make it in the NFL:

1 Attitude

2 Body

3 Football talent

Jasper had the attitude and made the team by bringing his body in line with what the team wanted. So he didn't have the talent. We gave him a fair shot and I don't think it was a waste of anyone's time.

He is a no talent over hyped bumm that never had a chance in the nfl and I can say I was never a fan of his. So Jasper you fat slob don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you I will not miss you at all what a waste of a 7th round pick.

This is an interesting response.

You're kidding, right?

:lol: Such indignation over a 7th round pick. Got any rants on youtube for blown 1st round picks? That'd be pretty entertaining! ;)

as was similarly stated, Bills had been doing well with latter round picks Stevie and Bell... and other worth a shot. i think maybe the worry is they don't seem to take the picks as seriously, and to be honest some of Buddy's comments about latter round picks this year like Asper, Potter and the one we traded away, were very non-chalant and what you would say about an undrafted guy... basically they are bodies, who cares, just a flyer at that point.. etc.

i mean, out starting QB and #1 WR are both 7th rounders, and our starting RB and #2 WR were undrafted. they shouldn't be throwaway picks. not saying Jasper was or anything, but Nix definitely gives the vibe he doesn't take 6th or 7th rounders that seriously.

i'm more of the impression that buddy doesn't give a good gosh darn about where anyone was drafted or who did the drafting. it's all about how you are progressing. and from what i heard in the form of sound bites on wgr, mike jasper was struggling on a number of fronts and just wasn't where they had expected him to be. this is extremely unfortunate because i really like the story behind the man, and from what i understand, he's a really good guy. i wish him good fortune.

Grasping at straws here but.......With the Tricks Buddy Nix played last year....Moving him to defense so he wouldn't look that great and nobody would snag him for our practice squad.......What if Chan and Buddy let him go early so WE can pick him up off the Titans practice squad?? Possible? Highly Unlikely.

Nix has Tricks.

Edited by Cville Bills

America likes underdogs. Nothing wrong with it. And this guy was a freak of nature. Huge, but surprisingly agile. Of course he elicited interest and conversation.

Personally, I was hoping Jasper would turn out like Peters. A late draft pick with raw athletic ability but low-level skills who gets coached into a good NFL player. But I can't say I'm surprised it didn't turn out that way. It only rarely does.