replacement refs

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beyond the speed factors or rule change between high school, college and the pros. My concern is the intimidation factor. I don't believe buffalo played bad on Friday due to the stripes, but there was a holding call earlier in the game called I believe on Glenn, having watched hundreds to thousands of games I am convinced that doesn't get called with seasoned refs. But it was the reigning sack leader against a rookie. Week one is in NY...rather NJ, if a call is questionable I have a horrible feeling the refs will be intimidated by the fans, Rex, Revis and the other crying "superstar" on the New Jersey tebows.

Then Wayne Hunter will be called for holding all game long against Mario Williams.

I didn't think replacement ref's would be a big deal, but wow have they been awful. They can't spot the ball correctly, some of them don't even know the signs for the penalties. In one game they called illegal block in the back on the KICKING team on a punt, which should be impossible. Not to mention calling the ball downed at the 6 yard line a touchback!?!?

They are missing many blatant calls such as holding and PI, and calling a ton of phantom hold's, off sides, and false starts.

The extra replay's have gone a long way to help reduce the impact of these guys, but this will end up having a huge impact in the regular season if the real officials aren't brought back.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Will it cost the NFL any money? No. So yes, the NFL is ready for that.

Not sure I'm with you on this one. If these refs keep screwing up every other call (and fans' teams lose as a result), there could be a huge backlash, including reduced ticket sales, reduced sales of merchandise, lower ratings, Sunday Ticket non-renewals, etc. This could turn into a PR nightmare for the NFL.

If the wannabe refs make two horrific calls that cost the Bills two games, I can say with certainty that I'm not going to watch another NFL game until the real refs are back. I don't think I'm alone in this.

BA

Not sure I'm with you on this one. If these refs keep screwing up every other call (and fans' teams lose as a result), there could be a huge backlash, including reduced ticket sales, reduced sales of merchandise, lower ratings, Sunday Ticket non-renewals, etc. This could turn into a PR nightmare for the NFL.

If the wannabe refs make two horrific calls that cost the Bills two games, I can say with certainty that I'm not going to watch another NFL game until the real refs are back. I don't think I'm alone in this.

BA

I could not possible agree less. NFL fans will still watch and go to the games. Particularly the season ticket holders whose money is already gone anyway. The NFL doesn't care about the PR nightmare that is the blackout rule, why would they care much about this.

People will piss and moan about the replacements just like they whine about the regular refs (look back at the Monday threads the last few seasons here if you don't believe me). It will have no noticeable impact on the NFL bottom line.

And I suspect that even you would still end up watching in the scenario you suggested :)

Without knowing any of the details of the labor dispute, I’d say that things are playing out in favor of the real refs. The consensus opinion is that the replacements are nowhere close to cutting it. The NFL is heading towards looking very foolish come opening weekend. I'd bet they will probably bite the bullet and pay the real refs, whose true value is apparently coming to light.

I could not possible agree less. NFL fans will still watch and go to the games. Particularly the season ticket holders whose money is already gone anyway. The NFL doesn't care about the PR nightmare that is the blackout rule, why would they care much about this.

Apples and oranges. Blackouts do not affect game play. Incompetent refs do.

People will piss and moan about the replacements just like they whine about the regular refs (look back at the Monday threads the last few seasons here if you don't believe me). It will have no noticeable impact on the NFL bottom line.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I don't see how the NFL will take "NO" hit as a result of replacement refs. I don't think anyone is going to blame the refs -- They'll blame the NFL. Regular officials make mistakes on a regular basis, and are held accountable. How will replacement reps be held accountable? They won't. If this strike goes into the season, the games will be unwatchable. I'm betting the refs win this battle, and win BIG.

And I suspect that even you would still end up watching in the scenario you suggested :)

Ah, you don't know me. I can't watch "unwatchable football." I still haven't warmed to MLB since the strike and replacement players. In fact, it's questionable as to whether MLB has recovered from it, but that's a debate for another forum. :)

Edited by Bud Adams

I watched the early false start call on Glenn at least 4X and feel it was a terrible call by the refs. Another point is the inconsistency of the pass interference calls. Stevie is getting mugged out there & no calls yet we get called for it just for breathing on the receivers.

What would you guys do if we were in a must win game...if we win, we're in playoffs. If not, we go home. Replacement refs blow a call with time winding down and screw us out of playoff birth and then apologizes after the game for their mistake. What would you guys do?

What would you guys do if we were in a must win game...if we win, we're in playoffs. If not, we go home. Replacement refs blow a call with time winding down and screw us out of playoff birth and then apologizes after the game for their mistake. What would you guys do?

Be upset, complain while watching the playoffs and tune in again next year?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/sports/football/calls-by-some-nfl-replacement-referees-raise-concerns.xml?f=27

NFL players know these replacement refs are in way over their heads. They also know, as I've said as well, that these refs are going to cost teams games in the regular season.

So far the NFL has put a happy face on the situation but they have to know they are heading for a cluster---k of epic proportions if they go into the regular season with this clowns in stripes.

PTR

Not to mention that the real refs need a game or two to work the kinks out. They need to be calling this week's games just to get back into rhythm.

The league is GOING to have a mess with blown calls (especially on big-yardage "judgment" calls like pass interference).

All for a little clutch of $.

Stupid.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-27/sports/ct-spt-0828-haugh-column--20120828_1_nflra-nfl-referees-association-nfl-fans

Jerry Markbreit only wishes he could laugh about it.

"I watched highlights on the NFL Network last night,'' the retired NFL official with 36 years' experience said Monday. "I saw referees with their head down, their cap over their eyes making announcements. I watched their mechanics. Honest to God, it made me cry seeing it. This is the National Football League.''

Roger Goodell's $9 billion enterprise pinching pennies with NFL officials smacks of hypocrisy from a league that has identified player safety as its No. 1 priority. A salary dispute that could be resolved if every NFL team paid $100,000 apiece unnecessarily risks injuries as much as outcomes.

There's issues other than money involved. However, the NFL ponying up more money would likely resole those issues.

A larger pool of officials to draw from is a good thing and I'm glad the NFL wants that so bad crews of the regular refs get sat each week.

Isn't this just like what we said about our team going into this year...?

The silver lining here is that the backup referees are gaining invaluable experience. With how physical the game is, you can't expect the starting refs to make it through a full season each year. Now we'll have backups coming off the bench that have real experience. This preseason is making us deeper at referee.

Edited by Matt in KC