replacement refs

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is ANY issue that coaches, players, and fans can all agree on, it should be this. The ONLY side here other than that of coaches, players, FANS, and officials, is that of the league office. The NFL is ENDANGERING the integrity of this sport - a MULTI BILLION DOLLAR SPORT (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the commissioner makes like 10 million a year?) - a sport which purports to be SO AGAINST gambling, and BOUNTIES, things that could jeopardize the integrity of the game...and yet, they're willing to allow a potentially good season of the Buffalo Bills to be compromised by poor officiating!, due to a disagreement over salary.

How outrageous is it, when this game is SOOOOO dependent on accurate officiating, that the NFL would be digging in it's heels on paying these officials a good wage. How many people in the world are qualified to do this? More accurately, there aren't a ton of them - and they're crucial to the sport.

The fans, the players, we should all join up and put pressure on the NFL to get this done with ASAP - Does anyone remember the plights of the NFL and the Players to the Fans during the lockout? Those sides were soooo worried about Fans turning their heads away in disgust, YET - they are not so worried about ruining the sport for US! We should all come up with a way to make it absolutely clear, pay the officials, make it FULL Time, specialized work, so they can perfect a trade, make it as clear of scrutiny as possible - the price we pay for tickets, jerseys, and all the other stuff (not to mention time) we are deserving of having the game be officiated correctly (as opposed to watching outcomes of games potentially altered because they NFL won't pay the BETTER officials what they deserve!).

If there is ANY issue that coaches, players, and fans can all agree on, it should be this. The ONLY side here other than that of coaches, players, FANS, and officials, is that of the league office. The NFL is ENDANGERING the integrity of this sport - a MULTI BILLION DOLLAR SPORT (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the commissioner makes like 10 million a year?) - a sport which purports to be SO AGAINST gambling, and BOUNTIES, things that could jeopardize the integrity of the game...and yet, they're willing to allow a potentially good season of the Buffalo Bills to be compromised by poor officiating!, due to a disagreement over salary.

How outrageous is it, when this game is SOOOOO dependent on accurate officiating, that the NFL would be digging in it's heels on paying these officials a good wage. How many people in the world are qualified to do this? More accurately, there aren't a ton of them - and they're crucial to the sport.

The fans, the players, we should all join up and put pressure on the NFL to get this done with ASAP - Does anyone remember the plights of the NFL and the Players to the Fans during the lockout? Those sides were soooo worried about Fans turning their heads away in disgust, YET - they are not so worried about ruining the sport for US! We should all come up with a way to make it absolutely clear, pay the officials, make it FULL Time, specialized work, so they can perfect a trade, make it as clear of scrutiny as possible - the price we pay for tickets, jerseys, and all the other stuff (not to mention time) we are deserving of having the game be officiated correctly (as opposed to watching outcomes of games potentially altered because they NFL won't pay the BETTER officials what they deserve!).

The replacements got a real "education" last night. Many of the have been top division I college refs but it ain't the same folks. I think Goodell was banking that good college refs would be able to handle the speed of the NFL game, Guess what? They Can't! If this is what we have for the season it will kill the league and fans will stop watching, this I guarentee. It is the equivilant of making some teams (not all) up entirely of rookies, cancelling their training camp and just throwing them in to the fray with the seasoned teams to see how they fair. It is a receipe for disaster!!

replacement refs need to go, i did not think they would make a difference but after watching the bills-skins game they need to go and the real refs need to come back :wallbash:

People here scream all season about how awful (or conspiratorial) the "real" refs are--and the first game without them and everyone's crying for their return.

Go figure.

You do realize that the "real" refs screw things up just as much, right? Anyone remember, "Just give it to 'em?" I also seem to remember last year, Stevie catching a ball that was (somehow) ruled incomplete. The ONLY reason this is being talked about is because they're replacement refs. If the exact same calls were made by the "real" refs, everyone would say, "It's the first preseason game."

People here scream all season about how awful (or conspiratorial) the "real" refs are--and the first game without them and everyone's crying for their return.

Go figure.

Every Bills fan I know complains about the officiating, I guess the replacements gave them extra incentive.

Every Bills fan I know complains about the officiating, I guess the replacements gave them extra incentive.

The best quote of the night was during the GB/SD game. They were talking non-stop about the replacement refs; nothing specific about the game, just about the topic in general. And then one of them said, "The league really needs to get the real refs in there. They can't have everyone focusing on the replacement refs." I was dumbfounded - the only reason "everyone" was focusing on the replacement refs in that game was because THEY were talking about it!

The refs made a perfect call in that game on the goalline -- SD runs it, guy is tackled just short of the goalline and that's what the refs called. They review it - and the ruling on the field stands. Didn't hear anybody talk about the fact that they got that hard call right.

You do realize that the "real" refs screw things up just as much, right? Anyone remember, "Just give it to 'em?" I also seem to remember last year, Stevie catching a ball that was (somehow) ruled incomplete. The ONLY reason this is being talked about is because they're replacement refs. If the exact same calls were made by the "real" refs, everyone would say, "It's the first preseason game."

Not even close. Ya we all rip on the real refs because they are human and miss calls but this was awful. Not knowing the rules after a punt gets touched, missing obvious holding calls, Chan having to tell the rules. It wasnt just our game either, all the refs looked lost out there and if we are going to emphasize safety and the integrity of the game, then they should really pony up and you know bring in the trained guys who have been doing this forever

Go figure.

Goes to show what a phenomenal job the pros really do. You hear the announcers say it all the time -- we like to complain about the calls that are missed occasionally, but they get it right over 95% of the time.

Not knowing the rules after a punt gets touched,

I don't think it was a case of not knowing the rules - it was a case of losing track where the ball was and thinking the two players who went into the endzone touched it. A bad call, yes, but one that was corrected via replay so had no impact on the game.

missing obvious holding calls,

This happens EVERY game, regardless of the refs.

It wasnt just our game either, all the refs looked lost out there

Really, you watched every game? Did you see the great call on the goalline in the GB/SD game? Knee was down an inch before SD crossed the goalline. The play was challenged and upheld.

The refs weren't as bad as everyone's saying.

EDIT: I did a quick search on the forums. One of the first threads I found is here:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/136731-walt-coleman-should-be-shot/page__hl__refs

They were aboslutely terrible last night with each team running generally predictable vanilla offensive and defensive packages.

Every NFL team is doomed if it's replacements refs for the games that count.

I don't think it was a case of not knowing the rules - it was a case of losing track where the ball was and thinking the two players who went into the endzone touched it. A bad call, yes, but one that was corrected via replay so had no impact on the game.

Really, you watched every game? Did you see the great call on the goalline in the GB/SD game? Knee was down an inch before SD crossed the goalline. The play was challenged and upheld.

EDIT: I did a quick search on the forums. One of the first threads I found is here:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/136731-walt-coleman-should-be-shot/page__hl__refs

considering these teams have never worked together before, theres a simple learning curve of getting used to each others mechanics and tendencies. i think they can perform well - even if its not the ideal. i dont think the gap come september will be near as large as many imply.

i didnt see any "just give it to them" or "giving him the business" calls - they are all human.

http://forums.twobil.../page__hl__refs

I watched a few games last night and the hall of fame game. These guys look lost and having gailey have to challenge that call on the punt could have a big impact on the game, what he needs that challange later?

My point is if the NFL is so caught up in putting out the best product, this isnt the way to do it. JMO

No matter which refs are doing the game, it seems the Bills always get screwed on bad calls, even bad calls on reviewed replays (what dafuk.....Bengals game) I dont watch every teams game every week so yeah I know that every team gets screwed by refs bad calls, but being a diehard Bills fan, watching most games twice, watching plays over and over, it is pretty amazing. All this last decade, all the crazy calls against us or non calls on the other teams playing us, it just seems crazy bad luck (go figure) One day the ball will bounce the right way and we will celebrate in football paradise.