replacement refs

What I think happened on the blown punt call was one ref saw Easley (81, I think) tiptoe on the goal line after the recovering player was already on top of the ball. Thinking he was part of the play (why would anyone tiptoe like that if he wasn't in the play?), his mind saw #81 tip the ball back.

It was Brad Smith, I wondered what he was doing.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

replacement refs need to go, i did not think they would make a difference but after watching the bills-skins game they need to go and the real refs need to come back :wallbash:

I think you are stating the obvious here. These are college refs who were trying thier best to be accurate and kinda went overboard a bit in the calls, although most were valid. The relationship between the NFL and it's officials has never been great, but when you have a sport in which it is the only one that officiating is a part time job in what do you expect?

Goodell must be crapping his undies watching these replacement refs. Meanwhile the refs must know the longer the replacements officiate the more desperate the NFL will be. Can you imagine the uproar if 4 or 5 games in week one turn on some obviously blown call? I know the real refs screw up but these replacement refs are like the NFL grabbed a bunch of people who never saw a football game and had them read the rule book once 15 minutes before the game.

PTR

Far better this week than last. They must be working on an edict of "don't call it unless it's obnoxious" this week. I'll be honest, I didn't mind watching the game called that way tonight.

Holding and Pass Interference were legal tonight apparently.

PTR

Holding and Pass Interference were legal tonight apparently.

PTR

I havent seen the bills game yet but the saints game tonight was rough. I've never seen so many flags and it had 4 lengthy reviews in the first half alone for plays that were clear from the stands. The game dragged badly.

Further there was the start of a pretty good fight with henne who was brought to the ground easily 10 seconds after the play, 40 yards from the play while he jawed with a lineman and the refs appeared scared to intervene. It was very slow and players broke it up ultimately. I noticed similarly in a recent game that a guy recovered his own fumbled and got absolutely mauled before refs blew it dead or tried to step in to break it up. The timidness around physical situations at the close of plays worries me a lot more than a missed call here and there

Improvement over week one, but that is not saying much. Still very poor just the same.

Off topic, but while watching the game last night on NFL.com, the home announcers were interviewing the Minnesota GM who said that this year, they hired a retired ref who had been in the league for many years. Sounded like he would advise the HC and staff in determining whether to challenge calls made on the field.

That unnecessary roughness call on Aaron Williams is what scares me. They don't understand the context of the nfl game. Williams is being blocked and there is a collision right on the out of bounds line and the clown throws a flag.

That unnecessary roughness call on Aaron Williams is what scares me. They don't understand the context of the nfl game. Williams is being blocked and there is a collision right on the out of bounds line and the clown throws a flag.

What's worse is any of these replacement refs could throw a game and it would be blamed on inexperience. They could get away with murder.

PTR

In real time sure looked like a late hit OB to me. Not going to review it because its not reviewable. That most likely gets called by the regs.

What's worse is any of these replacement refs could throw a game and it would be blamed on inexperience. They could get away with murder.

PTR

True, and they could also be trying to make a name for themselves by throwing a flag for everything they think they see, in hopes someone will notice and give them an NFL gig. They are just bad.

Beyond the speed factors or rule change between high school, college and the pros. My concern is the intimidation factor. I don't believe buffalo played bad on Friday due to the stripes, but there was a holding call earlier in the game called I believe on Glenn, having watched hundreds to thousands of games I am convinced that doesn't get called with seasoned refs. But it was the reigning sack leader against a rookie. Week one is in NY...rather NJ, if a call is questionable I have a horrible feeling the refs will be intimidated by the fans, Rex, Revis and the other crying "superstar" on the New Jersey tebows.