Schumer To Announce Plan To Keep Bills In Buffalo

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask yourself what will happen if the NFL's antitrust exemption disappeared tomorrow. Next ask yourself which Senator wants to introduce the bill that will bring about those changes in the NFL. Then count up how many votes you think this bill would get in the Senate. Next do the same for the House.

Or you can skip it and accept that it could never happen---and none of us would ever want it to for obvious reasons.

And what in the world does this have to do with keeping the Bills in Buffalo??

See what OvrOfficiousJerk posted above. Like many things involving politics, it's not necessarily about what WILL happen. It's about what could happen. Schumer holds a unique position of being one of the few people in the world who could, all on his own, make life very difficult for the NFL.

Anyway, yeah, we're getting off on some big tangents here. Let's all stay tuned for the next 15-20 minutes. I think we may hear something more substantive than simple rah-rah talk today about the Bills' long-term future. But, yes, I could be wrong.

WGR is playing Rome... Will they break in for the presser? Or should I find one of the other channels?

See what OvrOfficiousJerk posted above. Like many things involving politics, it's not necessarily about what WILL happen. It's about what could happen. Schumer holds a unique position of being one of the few people in the world who could, all on his own, make life very difficult for the NFL.

Anyway, yeah, we're getting off on some big tangents here. Let's all stay tuned for the next 15-20 minutes. I think we may hear something more substantive than simple rah-rah talk today about the Bills' long-term future. But, yes, I could be wrong.

WGR is playing Rome... Will they break in for the presser? Or should I find one of the other channels?

What could he do, exactly, when everyone knows he really can't change the exemption all by himself? And what does this have to do with the Bills?

The article says that Schumer had nothing to do with the lease talks and that the Bills had no idea he was scheduling a press conference. So I am quite curious to see what this is all about. Kelly and a Co. being in around could very well be a coincidence. Very interesting for sure. Any plan to keep the Bills where they are is good news. I just wonder how much his plan really will end up making a difference in the long run. I guess we will have to wait and see.

What interested me was the suggestion that the small market teams are a concern, and will be of interest to federal law makers. What I hope this means is that pressure will be put on the league to change the ownership rules, making community ownership an option.

All talk and nothing will happen. The other owners in the league will have a say in what happens to the Bills when they are sold. The owners have to approve the new owner and also approve relocation if needed.

What could he do, exactly, when everyone knows he really can't change the exemption all by himself? And what does this have to do with the Bills?

Call a hearing? Call for a repeal of the exemption? As pointed out above, he's in line to chair a pretty powerful committee. He's got a lot of power, and the House and Senate have always wielded the "nuclear option" threat of taking away the antitrust exemption to get MLB or the NFL to jump while asking "how high?"

But, as I thought would not be the case, the presser appears to have just been a bunch of sound and fury. My audio kept cutting out, but I don't think I missed much. Chalk it up to another disappointment in our elected officials. :)

Not sure why people do not think this is helpful. Certainly, like all Senators, Schumer knows that anything worth doing is worth doing in a public way. However, it can just as certainly be very helpful to the cause of the Bills and those who want to keep the Bills in Buffalo to leave no misunderstanding in the NFL's eyes that a very powerful Senator understands that there is a relatively simple and painless way to help ensure the Bills' future in Buffalo. Goodell is not likely to miss the implied consequences of displeasing the Senator, nor miss an opportunity to curry favor for his business on the other hand. Very shrewd politics by the Bills and Schumer. Well done.