My Observations from practice 7/28

5 Wide

As somebody who's at least 300 miles from TC, I really appreciate the eyewitness accounts. Thanks again.

And BTW, NJ (Newark) just got its first Dinosaur BBQ. I'd been hearing about it for years and I'm sold. The manager also gave us a head's-up about the Buffalo opening next year before it hit the papers.

I wonder if this improved D-line will also lead to a better O-line? They will definietly be pushed more in practice than they have been in the past; hopefully that will lead to a better unit.

at the very least, it will get Fitz used to them caving.

Thanks Op for the observations!

Edited by jeremy2020

Suprised to see the things you wrote about Vince Young. Seems like every other person reporting is saying the opposite.

Don't believe everything you read. Some information is being skewed, while other are simply wrong. Young is DEFINITELY having a better camp so far than Thigpen.

I agree. I live currently in Florida and love the birdseye view in camp. Thanks guys as I only believe so much of what the beat reporters say.

As far as the other thread on Defense better than offense, it is always better in the beginning, but the Senator said it best. This offensive line is getting an education against Mario, Marcel, Kyle, and Mark. This means they have to get better quickly.

The patriots lost on defense Mark Anderson and their other DE who had 20 sacks last year. They also lost two o line players one to an acl for a few weeks for the first game, and the other to retirement. I cannot wait for week 1 with the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets, and week 4 for the Patsies.

We win these two games, and this as Tommy and Jimmy from Goodfellas said "It's Gonna be a Good Summa!"

19-0 Baby!

Finally made it out to my first ever training camp practice and I must say, its hard to figure out what to pay attention to. On one side the WR and DB's are going at it, on the other side the d-line and o-line are thumping eachother, just a lot to watch for sure.

Without breaking down specific plays, here are my impressions on some players:

Kyle Williams - He looks 100% - He is quick off the ball, and is going full go in line drills and 11 on 11. He is like a bowling ball (or meatball) as my wife put it. Looks like last year really is behind him.

Dareus - absolute beast. In line drills and 11 on 11 - the middle of the oline was caving in. Forget about a qb stepping up, Dareus and Williams were just collapsing everying.

Mario - Big dude. He Doesn't look 300 lbs in person because there is no softness to him anywhere....which is all the more impressive to consider what an athlete is. He has all the moves you would want - quick speed move, spin move, saw him on a nice stunt, and one time he bull rushed Sam Young straight back.

Mark Anderson - Quick off the snap - looks like the kind of player we were hoping Maybin would be.

WR group in general - it certainly looks like Donald Jones is the top candidtate for the #2 spot. He looked good in practice, made a few nice grabs. After that, I didn't notice anyone really distinguishing themselves. Kamar Aiken had a few nice moments, as did Derek Hagan. Marcus Easley was practically invisible out there yesterday.

LT - the battle between Hairston and Glenn also looks pretty even at this point. Both are big dudes, and both had their share of issues with the D-line yesterday. They were rotating pretty evenly in drills and honestly, 77 and 75 look interchangeable at this point.

Vince Young also looks much better than Thigpen. From what I saw yesterday and from other reports, I hope Thigpen was good with the money he has made in the NFL up until now because it doesn't look like many more game checks are in his future. With that said, Fitz has nothing to worry about with VY challenging him whatsoever either. #14 is far and away the #1 QB on the roster.

If I had to bet who would be the first one cut this year, my money is on #68 G Keith Williams - maybe he just had a bad day or who knows, but he would have been better off just falling to the ground and hoping the D-line would trip over him. He was getting absolutely abused out there.

#54 Kyle Moore was getting a lot of Reps with guys who will make the team. He didn't look out of place, might be a guy to watch, the coaches seem to like him.

John Potter has a BIG leg. He and Lindell were booming some from 55 during practice, Lindell's would go over with a little to spare, Potters were bouncing in the VIP tent area behind the field.

DB's - Gilmore is legit. He has very good speed, and he has that style where he is just draped on the wideouts. None of that 10 yard cushion crap - either bump and run or very small cushion. he likes to get his hands on the WR's and dictate the play to them. He had a nice INT on a go route to I believe it was TJ Graham. He is a stud. I'm not as enamored with Aaron Williams as many people seem to be. He is pretty good, but to me, he looks like another Drayton Florence out there. Good enough, but nothing that looks to scare Qb's into leaving him alone.

Overall, the D-line just dominated everything. In 11 on 11, in unit drills, everything. Perhaps Eric Wood in the middle would have changed some of that, but there literally was just a wave of blue moving line backwards on almost every snap.

Overall it was a fun day, a nice experience, and a good excuse to go get a rack of ribs at the Dino BBQ!

Thanks for the report. Awesome to hear that our DL is rocking. It should make the OL better by having to practice against top 10 talent.

Finally made it out to my first ever training camp practice and I must say, its hard to figure out what to pay attention to. On one side the WR and DB's are going at it, on the other side the d-line and o-line are thumping eachother, just a lot to watch for sure.

Without breaking down specific plays, here are my impressions on some players:

Kyle Williams - He looks 100% - He is quick off the ball, and is going full go in line drills and 11 on 11. He is like a bowling ball (or meatball) as my wife put it. Looks like last year really is behind him.

Dareus - absolute beast. In line drills and 11 on 11 - the middle of the oline was caving in. Forget about a qb stepping up, Dareus and Williams were just collapsing everying.

Mario - Big dude. He Doesn't look 300 lbs in person because there is no softness to him anywhere....which is all the more impressive to consider what an athlete is. He has all the moves you would want - quick speed move, spin move, saw him on a nice stunt, and one time he bull rushed Sam Young straight back.

Mark Anderson - Quick off the snap - looks like the kind of player we were hoping Maybin would be.

WR group in general - it certainly looks like Donald Jones is the top candidtate for the #2 spot. He looked good in practice, made a few nice grabs. After that, I didn't notice anyone really distinguishing themselves. Kamar Aiken had a few nice moments, as did Derek Hagan. Marcus Easley was practically invisible out there yesterday.

LT - the battle between Hairston and Glenn also looks pretty even at this point. Both are big dudes, and both had their share of issues with the D-line yesterday. They were rotating pretty evenly in drills and honestly, 77 and 75 look interchangeable at this point.

Vince Young also looks much better than Thigpen. From what I saw yesterday and from other reports, I hope Thigpen was good with the money he has made in the NFL up until now because it doesn't look like many more game checks are in his future. With that said, Fitz has nothing to worry about with VY challenging him whatsoever either. #14 is far and away the #1 QB on the roster.

If I had to bet who would be the first one cut this year, my money is on #68 G Keith Williams - maybe he just had a bad day or who knows, but he would have been better off just falling to the ground and hoping the D-line would trip over him. He was getting absolutely abused out there.

#54 Kyle Moore was getting a lot of Reps with guys who will make the team. He didn't look out of place, might be a guy to watch, the coaches seem to like him.

John Potter has a BIG leg. He and Lindell were booming some from 55 during practice, Lindell's would go over with a little to spare, Potters were bouncing in the VIP tent area behind the field.

DB's - Gilmore is legit. He has very good speed, and he has that style where he is just draped on the wideouts. None of that 10 yard cushion crap - either bump and run or very small cushion. he likes to get his hands on the WR's and dictate the play to them. He had a nice INT on a go route to I believe it was TJ Graham. He is a stud. I'm not as enamored with Aaron Williams as many people seem to be. He is pretty good, but to me, he looks like another Drayton Florence out there. Good enough, but nothing that looks to scare Qb's into leaving him alone.

Overall, the D-line just dominated everything. In 11 on 11, in unit drills, everything. Perhaps Eric Wood in the middle would have changed some of that, but there literally was just a wave of blue moving line backwards on almost every snap.

Overall it was a fun day, a nice experience, and a good excuse to go get a rack of ribs at the Dino BBQ!

I agree with you about VY. Seemed to have an order of magnitude better skills than Thigpen to me. And so far anyway is by far the most athletic of the guys in the red pinnies.

I was disappointed to see Merriman watching practice. I didn't hear of his ankle issue beforehand. He did show up at the kids autograph tent after practice so I take that as a good sign that maybe it isn't all that serious. On Friday they had the offense and defense split on two fields (my kids were there :) ). I was glad to see them all in one place Saturday.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Great report 5. Someone in the thread asked: "Do you think the improved D-Line play will make out O-Line better?"

I sure hope, and in theory it seems like that should be the case.

To all: Any thoughts, or perspective on this?

Great report 5. Someone in the thread asked: "Do you think the improved D-Line play will make out O-Line better?"

I sure hope, and in theory it seems like that should be the case.

To all: Any thoughts, or perspective on this?

I'll stop just short of saying it "definitely" will improve our Oline. But that is how this works. You get better by practicing against someone that is better than you. That should be a given.

The Oline will be much better off if they are used to the size, strength, speed, and skill of a Top DL, as opposed to coming into a game and being surprised by better players.

They may take a beating now, and during most of camp, but that is what you want. Whip those boys into shape so they are used to running with the big dogs.