Hypothetical Coaching Job Interview Question

l< j

So you are asked in an interview for a hypothetical coaching position: How are you going to attack the Bills new defense? What's your response?

(This is just a way of getting some Xs and Ox discussion about the new defense and how coaches might gameplan against it, while acknowledging that it's all just on paper now. But we kind of know the defensive scheme and what the talent can produce. So how do coaches prepare? I admit to knowing nothing that would enable me to answer, but I like reading informed Xs and Os answers.)

kj

So you are asked in an interview for a hypothetical coaching position: How are you going to attack the Bills new defense? What's your response?

(This is just a way of getting some Xs and Ox discussion about the new defense and how coaches might gameplan against it, while acknowledging that it's all just on paper now. But we kind of know the defensive scheme and what the talent can produce. So how do coaches prepare? I admit to knowing nothing that would enable me to answer, but I like reading informed Xs and Os answers.)

kj

id say a key element is going to be keeping them off balance. screens, draws, counters, and play actions so the defensive line cant key in as much and puts stress on the line backers. Its a front 7 that has played very few games as a unit and those were in a different scheme - they will still be learning to trust each other to handle assignments, and how they fit in the new scheme. Id try to put the young corners in tough spots formationally to target their inexperience (stacks, motion, natural picks) to see if they can handle making extra reads on the fly. quick throws to make any misstep more important as they wont have time to recover even though we have good athletes(and target the lb level over the safeties also) but if you draw them in, take your shots downfield - they are young and may bite on double moves and playaction set up with the underneath game...

without knowing my team that im interviewing for its hard to speak to specific matchups to dictate.

Edited by NoSaint

Can't argue with anything the Captain and NoSaint have said. If the strength of our defense is pass rush you have to slow it down just like they suggested. And if the weakness is LBs, I'm trying to isolate them as much as possible. But, like NoSaint says, hard to do without having even seeing how these guys line up and get after it.

GO BILLS!!!

Until we can stop the run, I'll go with run the ball down their throats.

I think we have the ability to be very good against the run. But it still scares me.

I would not hire you to run my offense if you said thats how you attack this D.

Just because different guys in a different scheme didnt do well in the past... stopping the run should be a strength with mario - kyle - marcell on the line, and the 4th guy should be atleast decent.

I will definately give this a lot of thought. I love this type of question, great thread OP.

First, I would make sure everthing was basic, simple and repeated several times. This defense is young, inexperienced, and there is a lot of room for error. Exploiting those areas over and over again might wear down the defensive mentality, cause coaches to abandon their system or adjust to shift toward something that might be an advantage for me. A no huddle offense might be worth doling out early, make this defense proove themselves. Of course, this could give momemtum to their D, but I must count on my teams D to hold them to fewer points.

The areas of weakness I see are still on the second level up the middle. If there is a good fullback on my roster, or WR's that can pull and crack block I would first go up the middle about 5 times in the first 9 plays. Eventually a play action screen to the flat, about 6 yards out would be open. I do not think the maturity is there in our secondary to hold that back after being roped and doped. Once I neutralize that step of the CB's it makes a big difference. As soon as I get the chance I pass long and deep right over the middle hoping that GW is having a miss-step coming back.

Run, run reindeer until Bills PROVE they can stop it. Right up the middle for starters.

Great players, great team - not same thing

Just because different guys in a different scheme didnt do well in the past... stopping the run should be a strength with mario - kyle - marcell on the line, and the 4th guy should be atleast decent.

Should be, may be... and may bees don't fly in September.

I hope you're right, and the Blls have to PROVE IT.

Edited by Hopeful

Run, run reindeer until Bills PROVE they can stop it. Right up the middle for starters.

Great players, great team - not same thing

Should be, may be... and may bees don't fly in September.

I hope you're right, and the Blls have to PROVE IT.

By that proxy they have to prove they can stop a screen, a 60 yrd bomb, slants, playaction.... Of course you run if it starts working but I wouldn't say that's near the first spot I'd target as a weakness.

By that proxy they have to prove they can stop a screen, a 60 yrd bomb, slants, playaction.... Of course you run if it starts working but I wouldn't say that's near the first spot I'd target as a weakness.

I would.

We have proven we cannot stay healthy. We have some banged up bodies on that D and putting them to the grindstone early will really test them. I would aim right at Dareus, get man on man coverage at the line and put in a blocker to hit them low. I would see how quick KW is and avoid Mario. How can Mario be a factor when you do not put plays to his side? 43DE's don't get involved in the runs up the middle often and that would be a great way to frustrate the defense - keeping the ball away from their highly touted new guys.

I also would love to get a few guys out there on those LB's to see if they are ready to play 34 or not. As an OC I would realize the rolls of the safeties shouldn't be a problem, both are expereienced enough to transition fine. Quick throws to the outside WR's, in the flats, or in some zone changes might get some LB's and CB's mismatching. I would avoid Bryan Scott on defense, also.

I like all the answers that focus on neutralizing the pass rush with short to intermediate routes. Its really a league wide practice in todays NFL. The rules allow WRs to get off the line so much faster and the smart teams exploit that. Chan Gailey recognizes this and that is why we've seen an uptick in yardage and QB protection. I think most defenses can be exploited with this general plan.

I also believe that play calling is far more important than a general gameplan. NFL teams have playbooks loaded with all different kinds of plays but its the timing that makes the machine go. Even good defenses can get shredded all sorts of different ways. Good players and good playcalling is too much for any defense.

Play for field position. Run the short game with all eleven players 10 yards away from each other for most plays. Run a lot and for passing, throw lots of slants, curls, comeback routes (?), and dimes. Have the QB mix up the pump fakes; sometimes pump it once and throw, twice and throw, or maybe don't pump at all but mix it up, be creative with it.

Also, get a good punter that downs it inside the five consistently so you can score off of safeties or get good chance to block the punt. If neither of these things happen, you get good field position.

Play for field position. Run the short game with all eleven players 10 yards away from each other for most plays. Run a lot and for passing, throw lots of slants, curls, comeback routes (?), and dimes. Have the QB mix up the pump fakes; sometimes pump it once and throw, twice and throw, or maybe don't pump at all but mix it up, be creative with it.

Also, get a good punter that downs it inside the five consistently so you can score off of safeties or get good chance to block the punt. If neither of these things happen, you get good field position.

Is that you Dickie J?

A run game based on counters traps and tossess to the outside.

A West Coast passing game that is more horizontal with short slants hitches and outsides to pick on young corners and weaker LBs, and to negate the effect of Mario, and Anderson, I'd personally roll right out of an single back double tight right with at least a double team on Mario with one of TE's releasing off a chip on Mario and the other doing a short underneath route. I'd set up a series of run plays out of the formation well.

Pray that we can get off the field in 3 and out, without relinquishing a safety or defensive touchdown...

GO BILLSSS!!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Perfectly said, per usual, Senator.

I see alot of responses with short passing being the answer. If The Bills can generate an effective pass rush with only 4 lineman rushing, then the short game can be neutralized with physical, in your face cornerback play and linebackers taking away the short passing lanes. As the Giants have showed, when a team can use only 4 lineman and can get to the quarterback or pressure him consistently, they are a very dificult defense to move the ball on. I think The Bills have this potential. Teams would have to keep the tightend in to help block and possibly a running back also.THis reduces the amount of weapons an offense can use. Really, any team that can consistently pressure the quarterback without sending extra rushers, is at a huge advantage over the offense.

I see alot of responses with short passing being the answer. If The Bills can generate an effective pass rush with only 4 lineman rushing, then the short game can be neutralized with physical, in your face cornerback play and linebackers taking away the short passing lanes. As the Giants have showed, when a team can use only 4 lineman and can get to the quarterback or pressure him consistently, they are a very dificult defense to move the ball on. I think The Bills have this potential. Teams would have to keep the tightend in to help block and possibly a running back also.THis reduces the amount of weapons an offense can use. Really, any team that can consistently pressure the quarterback without sending extra rushers, is at a huge advantage over the offense.

Excellent point. 7 guys in coverage really make it difficult to find openings to exploit. There is no end to the different coverage mixes.

GO BILLS!!!

So what do you propose?

I won't disagree with you, but if I were the Jets, Pats, or Phins that's exactly what I would do until they stopped it. It also negates our best feature, our pass rush.

I would (edit: run the ball at the Bills until they prove they can stop it).

We have proven we cannot stay healthy. We have some banged up bodies on that D and putting them to the grindstone early will really test them. I would aim right at Dareus, get man on man coverage at the line and put in a blocker to hit them low. I would see how quick KW is and avoid Mario. How can Mario be a factor when you do not put plays to his side? 43DE's don't get involved in the runs up the middle often and that would be a great way to frustrate the defense - keeping the ball away from their highly touted new guys.

There's this. Part of my thinking is also a variant of "live by the Blitz, die by the Blitz". Wannstache has made it clear our D will flourish or die by the quality of its line, and that he wants an aggressive, mobile style of play on the line.

At its best, this style of play produces a formidable defense that can penetrate the backfield and nail runs for a loss as well as make QB lives miserable, as Cincy did to us last season. If the line isn't fully in sync, aggressive penetrating line play can lead to effective trapping and overpursuit by the line, with the RB squirting through like a pip out of a lemon. I don't agree with the guys who say we don't have NFL-quality LB, but we do have LB who are unproven at the positions they'll be playing and a very young Mike. It remains to be seen how easily they can be fooled or drawn out of position.

We need to prove we can avoid these mistakes and shut down the run and until we do, that's the first path of attack.

I won't disagree with you, but if I were the Jets, Pats, or Phins that's exactly what I would do until they stopped it. It also negates our best feature, our pass rush.

Jets and fins- sure. Bad qbs, bad wrs. That should be the plan every week.

Pats- good qb, good between the hashes wrs/TEs - business as usual. Even on slow days that offense will produce enough that they should have a shot to win.

Totally random team - stand by my first post.

Pats- they'll run

i am hardly one to have a valuable opinion. But of course i have one. an opinion i mean.

Sheppard is weak in pass coverage i've heard. pass against him when he is on the field. heck lets run on him too at first

Gilmore is new to the nfl i would pass at him using differnt receivers and differnt routes no matter where he lines up till he gets some help and the move to go at A.Williams.

If we are lining up McGee i am going after him to see if he is healthy. And Mckelvin if in nickel or dime i would love to isolate him in deep coverage. I would run outside. i think Kyle and Dareus are too strong inside. I want to test Buffalo DE against the run.

One of the Bills assets that has gone unsaid. We are a fairly new group but we have seriously smart players in general.

As the season progresses we are going to improve each week when trust between players, getting comfortable and getting up to speed.

The opposing team is going to have to really look for chinks in the armor if we play as good as we appear. :thumbsup:

Good answers. But I am a cheap owner and will not pay a salary appropriate for this level of thought. Sorry. Anyone got Turk Schonert's number?

kj

Ralph you know that Williams, Mario, Dareus and Anderson are on your team, right?

Ralph you know that Williams, Mario, Dareus and Anderson are on your team, right?

I'm not Ralph, I'm Tony Sparano. With all the Tebow hype down here in New Jersey, I didn't find out until last week that the Bills signed Williams and Anderson. God, I'm over my head! I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys.

kj

I'm not Ralph, I'm Tony Sparano. With all the Tebow hype down here in New Jersey, I didn't find out until last week that the Bills signed Williams and Anderson. God, I'm over my head! I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys.

kj

Pay close attention to the advice you get on this board. If the Bills had over the past few years, they would have been Super Bowl Champs at least four times. :devil:

BS question, you are going to have to see how it looks first. Right now the Bills D is hypothetical, got to get some film on it first. But seeing as how the LB's are thought to be the weakest unit I would say any game plan is going to try to target them.

BS question, you are going to have to see how it looks first.

BS answer. Re-read the question, especially this part:

This is just a way of getting some Xs and Ox discussion about the new defense and how coaches might gameplan against it, while acknowledging that it's all just on paper now.

The word 'hypothetical' in the thread title might also have provided some sort of clue.

It wasn't intended to reflect the reality of the Bills' D, just to prompt some Xs and Os discussion. Just a thought experiment for the wall, which beats a lot of whatever else gets discussed while we wait for camp to open. And the Jets coaches aren't really going to have much film to look at on Sept. 9, either. I do hope they wait to get some film before they start gameplanning, though.

kj

Short quick throws. It would cancel out the pass rush and target the weakest point of the D (LBs). Running the ball would be tough, but quick passes, that would be my plan.

Of course the Bills can counter it by roughing up receivers with big physical corners....

Just FYI on this......should a team get that one dimensional we will simply take linebackers off the field and add safeties like Searcy......

It might work initially.....but it wont work long.

• 2 months later...