What was the Scariest , Frightening Moment in Life

millbank

But it's the stupid macho owners that turn them into monsters.

This "owner" was only macho in the sense of wanting the dog because it was a Rott. Working breeds, especially the German ones (Shepard/Doberman/Rott/Etc) need constant stimuli and attention. If they're left by themselves for extended periods, they basically go stir crazy. This dog was always left alone in a run in the back yard. It was pathetic.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was taking Intro to computer science at UB in 1979 (Basic and Fortran). You used punch cards and had to wait sometimes up to an hour for your printout. The main computer was at the Ridge Lea campus (off of Niagara Falls Blvd. near the 290). I was there until about 2 AM. I lived in Cheektowaga, so I took the 290 to the Thruway to get home. Driving home and all of a sudden I realize I am on the shoulder in front of the State Trooper's station by the Kensington Expressway. SInce it was 2 AM, I didnt have any trouble getting back on the road. During those few seconds, I pictured myself going into the ditch and flipping over if hadn't woke up when I did.This was before they had rumble strips. AFter that I always has some coffee before driving home from there.

Edited by Wacka

That just makes me so mad.

I can't stand stupid dog owners.

You get a dog to have a pet, not to have an image.

Sadly this is one of the reasons why Rottweilers have gotten such a bad rap.

I've been around plenty of Rottweilers that are gentle, sweet and loving. Granted they are working dogs and are great guard dogs and will defend their masters. But it's the stupid macho owners that turn them into monsters.

On the note of dogs attacking things:

Me, my mom, and my sister were taking my pet Shi-tzu, Dotty, for a walk. Half way around the block, my mom said to run home so you can get in better shape for ROTC and that she would see me there. It should have only taken them 10 minutes to get home but 20 minutes later I see my sister running up the street and saying that Dotty was just attacked by 2 big dogs.

So I grab my bike and I retrace my steps and see my mom with Dotty, who is laying on the ground, and a lady walking away. All panicky, I jump off my bike and run to Dotty and see if she was okay. My mom said that the two dogs, a pit bull and some much bigger dog, were jumping on top of her and trying to bite her neck; one actually pinned her down and had her off the ground, like a dog does with its toy. There was no puncture wounds around the scruff of her neck and no blood, dog slobber everywhere though. Dotty apparently fought back and held her own with a little help from my mom hitting the attackers with the poop bag.

The parents and my sister went to the house where the incident took place and are going to talk to the people; my parents said something about calling the cops but I don't know if that actually happened. I'm sitting here, comforting my traumatized dog and making sure there are no other wounds and telling you guys about this to see if there is anything else we should do.

The only thing I worry about for my dog is when we take her for a walk again and what will happen if she sees another dog. Will she tug on the leash and start barking viciously or will she just cower away?

I also feel super guilty about the whole thing, feeling like it was my own fault. I know I should always be around them when its getting a little bit dark out but my mom was urging me to take a run, getting a bit on the loud side so I caved. I know if I was there, though, that the dogs wouldn't have touched Dotty. I would like to say that I would've done something a whole lot quicker than mom by picker her up at the sight of the dogs rushing towards us or kicking the dogs when looking back on it. Actually, the first thing I asked is if she thought about picking Dotty but she obviously didn't, which I don't blame her for.

I know I'll definitely have a few nightmare about this, though.

EDIT: Mom did call the animal control guys.

Edited by Teen Insight

On the note of dogs attacking things:

Me, my mom, and my sister were taking my pet Shi-tzu, Dotty, for a walk. Half way around the block, my mom said to run home so you can get in better shape for ROTC and that she would see me there. It should have only taken them 10 minutes to get home but 20 minutes later I see my sister running up the street and saying that Dotty was just attacked by 2 big dogs.

So I grab my bike and I retrace my steps and see my mom with Dotty, who is laying on the ground, and a lady walking away. All panicky, I jump off my bike and run to Dotty and see if she was okay. My mom said that the two dogs, a pit bull and some much bigger dog, were jumping on top of her and trying to bite her neck; one actually pinned her down and had her off the ground, like a dog does with its toy. There was no puncture wounds around the scruff of her neck and no blood, dog slobber everywhere though. Dotty apparently fought back and held her own with a little help from my mom hitting the attackers with the poop bag.

The parents and my sister went to the house where the incident took place and are going to talk to the people; my parents said something about calling the cops but I don't know if that actually happened. I'm sitting here, comforting my traumatized dog and making sure there are no other wounds and telling you guys about this to see if there is anything else we should do.

The only thing I worry about for my dog is when we take her for a walk again and what will happen if she sees another dog. Will she tug on the leash and start barking viciously or will she just cower away?

I also feel super guilty about the whole thing, feeling like it was my own fault. I know I should always be around them when its getting a little bit dark out but my mom was urging me to take a run, getting a bit on the loud side so I caved. I know if I was there, though, that the dogs wouldn't have touched Dotty. I would like to say that I would've done something a whole lot quicker than mom by picker her up at the sight of the dogs rushing towards us or kicking the dogs when looking back on it. Actually, the first thing I asked is if she thought about picking Dotty but she obviously didn't, which I don't blame her for.

I know I'll definitely have a few nightmare about this, though.

EDIT: Mom did call the animal control guys.

Make sure you... well, your mum and sister... talk to the ACO first. It's important to have the first word. We dropped our dog at he vet and I went to the ER. My brother (he lives about 1/4 mioe away and I had been walking back from there before this happened ~ a hundred yards from his house) had called to report the attack right away, and the ACO talked to the dog owner, who claimed that only one dog --- the one who bit me --- had attacked us. Funny... because she didn't come out until five minutes into it. I submitted a statement to the ACO the next day and by that time she had made her whole report which had multiple glaring factual errors, and evidently, her mind was cemented to simply charge for one dog roaming, and she was quarantining at the house, rather than in the pound which is what state law REQUIRES for ALL bites off-property. Note: even the dog owner said that it happened on the opposite side of the street. And yet, we still had to press with the state agricultural commissioner to have it impounded. My family is also on opposite sides in local politics from the ACO, who wears many hats in town govt. I don't see how that has anything to do with anything, but some people are like that.... Does a detective take the word of the suspected rapist to determine charges? Well, that's the corollary of what happened. Was not happy about that. I don't norally wish ill on people, but this ACO apparently has cancer of some sort and I hope it hurts.

I would've taken your dog to the vet to have it checked thoroughly by professionals in case something happened that you can't see. Then give them the bill. Make sure the attacking dogs are current on all shots and press for roaming tickets and whatever else you can. People with these type of dogs generally don't seem to get the message very easily that they need to do a much better job controlling and restraining their dog's movement outside. Your peace was violated... and yet in this case w/o any seeming injuries, it doesn't look like much canoe will be done besides a ticket. An incident report might increasetheir homeowner's insurance... if the company even gets wind of it, which they often don't. You want more. You want to say, 'Hey you :censored: ing :censored: head!! Anything like this happens again to anyone who goes by here and ....' but....

As for the effects, I can tell that it's stayed with my dog in his interactions. Walk around now and he goes kinda apestevestojan when he sees another dog, whining, snorting and going in nervous circles. He will not go down that road again, and I am hardly less ready to myself.

I have had a crazy life with over a dozen near death experiences. Many times I was certain I was going to die, but this one comes to mind. I was coming off two amazing nights in Madrid and it was Saturday night. I walked out of a bar around midnight in Plaza Del Sol(think Spanish Time Square) feeling good and I see this beautiful girl smiling at me. "hola sexy! Como estas? Hablas Ingles?" She did, and I said "show me around Madrid. Lets go get a drink somewhere" She says there is a good place on this side street. Well there are people everywhere and Spain really comes alive at midnight. We go walking up the side street, and I am a very savvy traveler always aware of my surroundings, but it was Saturday night at Madrid, and I was too busy running game on this chick, and let me guard down. Well she says the place is right around the corner...we turn the corner, she is on my right, and this guy comes running up behind me, and wraps his left arm around my neck.....I grabbed his wrist, looked at him over my shoulder, saw his face, and he was scared shitless(I have a fighting background and keep myself in shape)-I looked back at the girl and she flashed a very nervous look at the punk and I realized they were in cahoots. Well I was about to snap the punks wrist and was going to !@#$ his world up...while I am processing all this a guy comes running at me from across the street fists up 10 O'clock...I realized now the situation and got my fists up, he stopped short before I could hit him. Then another guys came at me from 2 O'clock and I threw a punch at him, but a 4th guy grabbed my arm from behind as I threw the punch. They wrestled me to the ground. I am good fighting from my back and I was doing some damage, but it seemed like there were 10 of them. One said to me "you are going to die". And I fought with everything I had, swinging, elbows, knees....then next thing I know I am out cold.

I felt like I woke up from a deep sleep and was trying to figure out where I was. Whats this cold feeling on my face-concrete. What country am I in- Spain I think. What happened- holy **** I was mugged. My jaw was sore- I could tell they hit me when I was out cold. and My eye was bleeding pretty bad. The first thing I checked was to see if I had my passport. Luckily I did- it was in a money belt under some cargo pants. They cut my pants open with a knife, but couldn't get the money belt- too much foot traffic I think. They did get my wallet, my camera(which pissed me off- I just spent two weeks in Hungry and made some great friends, and I lost all the photos of them). They also took my kashmere trench coat right off my back. I shook off the cobwebs and went looking for them. Never found them, but I was enraged. I made George Brett being called out for pine tar mellow. No bueno

So did you end up with the girl?

I agree UConn. I was walking my Shih Tsu with my 6 year old twin daughters on a leash down our street, when a lady about 55 years old is walking a pit bull. As dogs do, they sniff butts and do their thing. Well this monster went insane and chomped on my dogs head, causing his eye to pop out. I had to jump in the middle and break it up. The pit bull's owner was worthless as this beast was out of control. Well, to make a long story short, my dog lost his eye, my girls were freaking out, and the lady's husband had the audacity to say it was a dog fight and would only pay half the medical bills. I didn't have the energy to fight him, as he is quite prominent.

The town and Animal control were worthless, due to a lack of laws on the books.

There needs to be some restrictive licensing of these bully breeds. It is out of control.

Btw, I live in an upper middle class neighborhood, so this isn't a socio-economic issue.

I agree UConn. I was walking my Shih Tsu with my 6 year old twin daughters on a leash down our street, when a lady about 55 years old is walking a pit bull. As dogs do, they sniff butts and do their thing. Well this monster went insane and chomped on my dogs head, causing his eye to pop out. I had to jump in the middle and break it up. The pit bull's owner was worthless as this beast was out of control. Well, to make a long story short, my dog lost his eye, my girls were freaking out, and the lady's husband had the audacity to say it was a dog fight and would only pay half the medical bills. I didn't have the energy to fight him, as he is quite prominent.

The town and Animal control were worthless, due to a lack of laws on the books.

There needs to be some restrictive licensing of these bully breeds. It is out of control.

Btw, I live in an upper middle class neighborhood, so this isn't a socio-economic issue.

WOW! :o :o

It is America's weird obsession with pets and dogs in general. Not knocking you and your love of your pet... But what good could come out of any interaction like the one the other pet owner and you were engaging in w/their pets?

I've got you all beat. Last night(and I'll do it again tonight and tomorrow)i walked through Camden NJ....at night!!!

oh ... well i talked aggressively to DC Tom the other day in Shout Box and lived..... if that is not a harrowing experience to make little girls cry, brave men weep what would? :o0:):lol: