What was the Scariest , Frightening Moment in Life

millbank

WTF were you thinking... We you living in Canada or did you walk back over the bridge when you were done swimming? Technically you jumped the border.

That is a +8mph current... I know you said you wanted to make if before the International Bridge, but WTF... The Canadian side is calmer... We would water ski there, but that is with a PFD on... You can rest easier.

Yes I lived in Fort Erie at the time. Yes it was an aggressive swim, to aggressive. As I kid I had made that swim many times, just didn't try to touch the American side before, never tried again after that either. Also many times we would swim from the Old Fort to the International Bridge. The only downside was we were kids and had to walk to and from each starting and stopping point.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, do you drink Dos Equis? :rolleyes:

LoL... Gotta admit, pretty interesting story... Now I can't get the imagine of this outta my head... Sauve American in cashmere trench, hooking up with Spanish lady only to get rolled by her buds while George Brett chases them! Somebody pour vinegar on my eyes!

Wow, do you drink Dos Equis? :rolleyes:

"I don't always swim, but when I do, I do it stupidly."

Honesty and loyalty are the two traits I seek out in any relationship. I am honest and loyal to all my friends. If they can't reciprocate- no big loss

I have never met anyone who felt compelled to express that, who actually lived it. If you have to crow about your integrity, you're probably lacking it.

"I don't always swim, but when I do, I do it stupidly."

I have never met anyone who felt compelled to express that, who actually lived it. If you have to crow about your integrity, you're probably lacking it.

You found me out. In actuality I am !@#$ing all my friends wives and mothrr!@#$ing everyone I meet

Honesty and loyalty are the two traits I seek out in any relationship. I am honest and loyal to all my friends. If they can't reciprocate- no big loss

I'd say that the definition of loyalty is sticking by a friend who wasn't loyal to you. Now, there's such a thing as a toxic friendship, but people are not perfect.

Wow, I have several things, that you can maybe call close to death experiences. This is like 2000, and I was living in Fort Lauderdale, and I was on my way from finishing work at around 5 and driving on 595 to a local university to go a Java programming stufy group before our exam later that week. It was crazy weather, it was a slow moving hurricane and everywhere was flooded. I got off one exit early, highway was at a standstill, thought I could find a cut through road. I ended driving through a manufacturing area and this road was completely flooded. Water was up to close to the over tire level. I decided to turn around in this parking area for this company. No cars around. I did not own a cell at the time. I ended up hydroplaining into what likely was a standing small pond of about 3 to 4 feet and my car began sliding down. I opened my door and water rushed into my car. I shut my door. Water was almost over my head iside the car. I was totally freaked out. My car was completely under water at this point. Luckily I cheaped out and got roll down windows. I owned this car for like 3 weeks. I rolled the window down, and swam out of the car and up to the parking lot which was up to my knees with water. About 10 minutes later a truck drove by luckily and they had a phone for me to use. I could have died that day.

LoL.... This could be the new safety campaign I will pass on to the Corps... They can use it all their field/rec sites. LoL...

If you think that was stupid on my part, we used to jump off the top of the International Bridge. Some guys would dive but I wasn't that ballsy. From the top, those huge whirlpools behind the piers look 50 cent pieces.

Wow, I have several things, that you can maybe call close to death experiences. This is like 2000, and I was living in Fort Lauderdale, and I was on my way from finishing work at around 5 and driving on 595 to a local university to go a Java programming stufy group before our exam later that week. It was crazy weather, it was a slow moving hurricane and everywhere was flooded. I got off one exit early, highway was at a standstill, thought I could find a cut through road. I ended driving through a manufacturing area and this road was completely flooded. Water was up to close to the over tire level. I decided to turn around in this parking area for this company. No cars around. I did not own a cell at the time. I ended up hydroplaining into what likely was a standing small pond of about 3 to 4 feet and my car began sliding down. I opened my door and water rushed into my car. I shut my door. Water was almost over my head iside the car. I was totally freaked out. My car was completely under water at this point. Luckily I cheaped out and got roll down windows. I owned this car for like 3 weeks. I rolled the window down, and swam out of the car and up to the parking lot which was up to my knees with water. About 10 minutes later a truck drove by luckily and they had a phone for me to use. I could have died that day.

Crazy story! Did you have to wait for the car to fill up with water before you could get out of the window? Quick question, what development tool do you use to write your Java code?

Crazy story! Did you have to wait for the car to fill up with water before you could get out of the window? Quick question, what development tool do you use to write your Java code?

Well, it all happened so fast, when I had opened the door the car was almost full. When I rolled the windod down the car was completely under water.

As far as Java code, I really have not worked much with it at all. I used Oracle JDeveloper mostly. I do much more Oracle PL/SQL.

I got hit in the throat by a golf ball. Some idiot underestimated his driver by about 50 yards and didn't even yell FORE.

One thing I've always wondered...what's the closest I ever came do dying and I wasn't even aware of it?

I played catcher as a kid in lttle league. Took a foul tip off my throat. The only thing that scared me was how freaked out the coaches were.

I have others. I was walking into 7 Eleven on North French Road in Amherst in 1992 after playing some hoops at UB, summertime, and a car drove up sideways and 3 guys got out of the car and proceeded all point guns at me. I was scared crapless, really a deer in headlights situation, no real place to go, they were not very far away from me, and they all began to shoot at me. I got hit 6 times. There was red all over me, it hurt like hell. I thought it was blood. They got back into the car and sped away and I fell to the ground, I wa in shock almost. Several people came over to me. I got hit with red paintballs. Man I wish I could find those ****ers and beat the crap out of them.

Edited by paintmyhouse

Well, it all happened so fast, when I had opened the door the car was almost full. When I rolled the windod down the car was completely under water.

As far as Java code, I really have not worked much with it at all. I used Oracle JDeveloper mostly. I do much more Oracle PL/SQL.

The amazing thing, reading this thread, is how many have had "scariest moments" entirely due to our own stupidity. Swimming the Niagara River, driving and hydroplaning in a hurricane, coding with JDeveloper. We're all a bunch of idiots.

(Except me. I use Eclipse.)

The amazing thing, reading this thread, is how many have had "scariest moments" entirely due to our own stupidity. Swimming the Niagara River, driving and hydroplaning in a hurricane, coding with JDeveloper. We're all a bunch of idiots.

True, very true....................

Like another time I took the bus home from Fredonia before Thanksgiving break in 1992, was going to meet friends at the UB north campus and party down before heading to mom's place for Thanksgiving the next day. My friend was going to pick me up from the bus station in downtown Buffalo. I knew he had been drinking, so I said I would just walk to the subway and his dorm was actually right next to drop off there. I actually had all my books and notes, and this was my writing intensive semester, I had papers I had spent months of research on, and I had everything on floppy disks and in notebooks. I actually had a huge bad of dirty clothes, was going to do laundry, I had a lot of stuff with me. Maybe I should have cabbed it?

Anyway, on my walk over, there was no one around at all.........and I was almost at the subway stop, when a group of about 12 thugs who were likely between 16-18 noticed me. I began walking faster, then yelled hello officer......they stopped, realized I was just trying to trick them. THey crossed the side of the street and began calling me honkey, white bread, and other names, and then "SMACK".....I was punched in the face on both sides at the same time. I fell sideways and had punches and kicks given to me, and I was OK enough to start running after I had dropped all my stuff. My glasses broke off, I did not have contact lenses in that day, I was basically blind too. A couple chased me while getting in a few more punches and they all took off. I was not in the hospital all night, but was busted up pretty good.

I got 0 credits that semester, incomplete in all my classes, they took all my research. It actually cost me 10,000 dollars in reality, an extra semester of college. I bet those punks are all dead or in jail.

I know. Imagine if I had taken that advice I asked for. Whew, that was a close one.

I played catcher as a kid in lttle league. Took a foul tip off my throat. The only thing that scared me was how freaked out the coaches were.

I was pitching for our travel baseball team in the PAL in Delaware Park one year. I was like 14 or 15, and I was able to actually bring some good heat when I wanted. Anyway, this kid squares around to bunt on me, and foul tipped the pitch right into his face. His nose was a mangled mess, blood spurting through his fingers, the whole nine yards. I almost threw up right there on the mound.

You'd get the same treatment from virtually any working breed when you "confront" a member of their pack. I had a similar experience with a family member's 120 pound Rott, though there wasn't any real stimuli to cause it. That dog was completely out of control and ended up having to be destroyed. Completely the fault of the owner.

That just makes me so mad.

I can't stand stupid dog owners.

You get a dog to have a pet, not to have an image.

Sadly this is one of the reasons why Rottweilers have gotten such a bad rap.

I've been around plenty of Rottweilers that are gentle, sweet and loving. Granted they are working dogs and are great guard dogs and will defend their masters. But it's the stupid macho owners that turn them into monsters.