Help me with my wedding!

I'm getting married in less than a month and thought what better place to seek some advice than the friendly confines of tbd. So I've got a few questions answer what you please.

1. What is a good gift for my groomsmen? I've got 7 plus my father. From previous weddings that most of us have been in humidors and flasks are ruled out. (Damn partying through my 20s and all the easy ideas got taken)

2. What was your wedding song (or ideas for one). We don't exactly have an "our song." I like metal, hard rock, and classic rock while she prefers hip-hop, pop, and country. It prob won't come from any of these genres and are leaning to older songs. Since there are many *ahem* experienced posters on here I was hoping you may know some obscure songs or just classics that we have missed.

3. (This should be good but what the heck) some advice for the newlyweds. I'm marrying her in the start of August because it is the most boring sports season (she knows this and is okay with it). She enjoys football season mostly because she gets to hang out with the other wives/girlfriends while we watch the game, and she is well aware that Sundays are off limits for anything. I've gotten her to become an UFC fan but still working on the other sports. She really is amazing, not bitchy/bossy at all (man I hope that doesn't change :blush: ) and someone who puts a smile on my face many times throughout the day.

So any and all help (especially with question 1 and 2) would be much appreciated. Thanks tbd!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the link to the other forum discussion about it. 4 out of the 8 are Bills fans so I think I'm going to do a Bills gift for them unfortunately dhgate has no jerseys up that I could get customized. Anyone know any places similar to dhgate (read I don't care about authentic) that could help a brother out.

As for the songs thanks... keep em coming! Noone wanted to touch the advice part huh? 0:)

#1: JJ has it covered.

#2: Pick a recent love/sappy song you both like. And by "you," I mean mostly her.

#3: Communicate. If something is bothering you, tell her. Don't let it fester. And have her do the same.

2. Tell her to work on a list of song ideas. Take 20 minutes and listen to the songs with her and just like the one she likes. Lets be honest, do you care? Make sure that you listen to the songs and have some kind of conversation with her about it. You do have to pretend to care.

3. Argue and disagree, its healthy. Do not disrespect eachother though

I'm getting married in less than a month and thought what better place to seek some advice than the friendly confines of tbd. So I've got a few questions answer what you please.

1. What is a good gift for my groomsmen? I've got 7 plus my father. From previous weddings that most of us have been in humidors and flasks are ruled out. (Damn partying through my 20s and all the easy ideas got taken)

2. What was your wedding song (or ideas for one). We don't exactly have an "our song." I like metal, hard rock, and classic rock while she prefers hip-hop, pop, and country. It prob won't come from any of these genres and are leaning to older songs. Since there are many *ahem* experienced posters on here I was hoping you may know some obscure songs or just classics that we have missed.

3. (This should be good but what the heck) some advice for the newlyweds. I'm marrying her in the start of August because it is the most boring sports season (she knows this and is okay with it). She enjoys football season mostly because she gets to hang out with the other wives/girlfriends while we watch the game, and she is well aware that Sundays are off limits for anything. I've gotten her to become an UFC fan but still working on the other sports. She really is amazing, not bitchy/bossy at all (man I hope that doesn't change :blush: ) and someone who puts a smile on my face many times throughout the day.

So any and all help (especially with question 1 and 2) would be much appreciated. Thanks tbd!

#1: Hookers and blow.

#2: We didn't have one, but I recommend "Cherry Pie" by Warrant.

#3: Advice? The most important things in a successful marriage are: trust, communication, patience, and - most importantly, above anything else - separate bathrooms.

Okay.....

youtube.com/watch?v=rmwYi7R2G7Q

:lol:

This is a running joke between us how awesome that you quoted it lol

#1: Hookers and blow.

#2: We didn't have one, but I recommend "Cherry Pie" by Warrant.

#3: Advice? The most important things in a successful marriage are: trust, communication, patience, and - most importantly, above anything else - separate bathrooms.

:lol: I was hoping you would weigh in as I knew you would have great insight! I'll run Cherry Pie by her and try to keep a straight face her response should be a good one :D

If you do actually care about the song, maybe you can "compromise" on it by picking a recent pop/rock/indie ballad. If you don't care, I like PushthePile's idea. Or you could do something completely silly.

1. Anything but a flask since everyone already has ten of them in their junk drawer. If they like cigars, get them cigars. If they like scotch/bourbon, get them a nice bottle. If they like sports, get them tickets to a game. It doesn't need to be a keepsake.

2. Don't pick something trendy, new, trashy, etc. or you'll look back on it and realize the song really sucked ass and you looked like idiots. It's otherwise meaningless, so just pick a classic that won't embarrass your parents. Something like At Last by Etta James.

3. Have a lot of sex because once you have kids, those days are over. And unless you're already 35, wait at least five years before having kids.

Songs - Hell Awaits by Slayer or F'ing Hostile by Pantera.......

Seriously, I agree with other posters that a classic might be a good idea - soemthing you'll hear from time to time on the radio or at an event - it's nice to heary your song once in awhile and even after being married 16 years we still hear ours (Clapton's Wonderful Tonight) - if you pick something trendy you may never hear it again....

I also agree with the sentiment to wait on the kids - take some time to be married and live as a couple before your lives totally change - enjoy time together, travel - once you have kids that'll be difficult until you're older. Compromise on things but also know which things each of you have that are very important and are hard to compromise on. Being a rabid Bills fan is tough - nobody in my family understand how important my Sundays are except my wife - it's easy for people to say "oh come on - it's just a game" but my wife knows it's important to me and won't ask me to compromise there unless it's really important.

If you do actually care about the song, maybe you can "compromise" on it by picking a recent pop/rock/indie ballad. If you don't care, I like PushthePile's idea. Or you could do something completely silly.

It's a strange line betwenn not caring and making sure she doesn't pick something actually terrible. I am following somewhat along the lines of pushthepile's idea with a slght twist, while in the car we listen to them and decide what we like. My one rule though is no Michael Buble under any circumstance! B-)

2. Don't pick something trendy, new, trashy, etc. or you'll look back on it and realize the song really sucked ass and you looked like idiots. It's otherwise meaningless, so just pick a classic that won't embarrass your parents. Something like At Last by Etta James.

3. Have a lot of sex because once you have kids, those days are over. And unless you're already 35, wait at least five years before having kids.

I'm 30 and she will be 27 next week so we plan on waiting a bit (shooting for somewhere in 2014), but I am stressing this to her as well - now if I can just stop her sister/friends from popping these kids out and giving her baby fever!

My advice to you for both a wedding idea and a wedding song would be:

Flock of Seagulls will be nowhere near this wedding :lol: TBD will continue to be my escape as well. I tried explaining what this site was and she just called me a nerd :lol:

Seriously, I agree with other posters that a classic might be a good idea - soemthing you'll hear from time to time on the radio or at an event - it's nice to heary your song once in awhile and even after being married 16 years we still hear ours (Clapton's Wonderful Tonight) - if you pick something trendy you may never hear it again....

I also agree with the sentiment to wait on the kids - take some time to be married and live as a couple before your lives totally change - enjoy time together, travel - once you have kids that'll be difficult until you're older. Compromise on things but also know which things each of you have that are very important and are hard to compromise on. Being a rabid Bills fan is tough - nobody in my family understand how important my Sundays are except my wife - it's easy for people to say "oh come on - it's just a game" but my wife knows it's important to me and won't ask me to compromise there unless it's really important.

Definitely want a classic for exactly the reason you stated. I'm glad there is hope that she will continue to be understanding after the vows. I won't have to wait long to see but just yesterday she was mentioning how she couldn't wait for football to see some of the girls. :thumbsup:

As for the kids like I stated earlier I'm okay with waiting I just have to catch the baby fever before it gets to bad. A friend of ours just had a baby and on the way to visit them I had to remind her that no matter how cute and adorable that baby is don't get any ideas. She agreed and said I had nothing to worry about.... until she held her in her arms and gave me that look :bag:

1) Don't worry about it. You're getting married. They won't be your friends much longer. Pocket the cash and buy something you like. It's the last time you'll be able to buy something for yourself without permission.

2) Are you talking songs during the ceremony, or a first dance/reception type of song? Don't worry about it. You're getting married. Your music appreciation will dwindle until you're unfortunate enough to start singing along with the ****ty songs on her favorite playlists. One day you'll have kids and it's "Wheels on the Bus" time then.

3) Don't worry about it. You're getting married. Sports will become something you can barely keep up enough with to talk semi-intelligently at work since you haven't seen much/any of the actual game. Sundays off limits is a joke. It'll start slowly at first, but eventually you'll be watching reruns of "What not to Wear" and "Toddlers and Tiaras". It's a win win for her. Because eventually you'll get so fed up with the stupidity of those shows that you get up and work on the house instead of watching TV. Which is what she wanted you to do anyway.

Congrats