Help me with my wedding!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats on your wedding. i'm old so take this advice with a grain of salt but think it through:

consider learning a dance for the first song. it's something you prepare together and will likely remember for a long time. get a teacher that's done this many times before. it may even kindle an interest in an activity you both might enjoy for years.

since your fiancee likes country, maybe a texas 2 step to "forever and ever". a beautiful waltz is always appropriate. one of my favorites is "dark waltz" by hayley westerna. and if you reject either of thgose you could head bang to "white wedding" or foxtrot to "white trash wedding" by the dixie chicks. wouldn't be my choices but... if you can't be romantic at your wedding, when can you be?

Good luck.

Don't forget to register your Wedding with the Obama Event Registry. :rolleyes:

*Check the link, that site is not a parody

Holy crap this link makes me hate it even more that I have to vote for Obama this year! Is his campaign serious?

Congrats on your up-coming wedding

Oh, here's a story about a happily married couple you should enjoy.

Cheers.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Man_Facing_Charges_after_Bounding_Wife_with_Chains_Beating_Her_for_10_Years_161980285.html

B-)

Do you think this guy teaches marriage classes? Methinks the wife and I could learn a few things :devil:

Seriously though I am amazed at times what people do to other human beings. They should chain him up and give the woman a hot frying pan as his punishment.

congrats on your wedding. i'm old so take this advice with a grain of salt but think it through:

consider learning a dance for the first song. it's something you prepare together and will likely remember for a long time. get a teacher that's done this many times before. it may even kindle an interest in an activity you both might enjoy for years.

since your fiancee likes country, maybe a texas 2 step to "forever and ever". a beautiful waltz is always appropriate. one of my favorites is "dark waltz" by hayley westerna. and if you reject either of thgose you could head bang to "white wedding" or foxtrot to "white trash wedding" by the dixie chicks. wouldn't be my choices but... if you can't be romantic at your wedding, when can you be?

Good luck.

We had talked about this unfortunately planning and time got in the way of it. A family friend did it for his wedding and I did thought it was awesome. My 2 left feet though put a major kink in those plans. I plan on spending the entire dance telling her how lucky I feel, how happy she makes me, etc....

Your last line strikes me. I was a little concerned about the man rules with my wedding. I know when I see her coming down the aisle, I'm going to tear up. During the first dance, I'm going to tear up. The one that has me the most though is the dance with my mom - those songs are killer emotionally. My mother struggles with walking and is in a wheelchair but wants to dance with me so I'm going to be overly emotional. I'm going to be a blathering idiot on multiple occasions and then have to deal with it later. :blush:

Advice? Wow, big area to cover, so I will simplify.

Accept who you are and who she is (she must do the same about you).

Being in love is easy. If you can live with and accept all those little annoying things you do to each other, that bug the heck out of each other, and realize you cannot change them, marriage works.

1st marriage lasted two years. Live and learn.

Current and only real marriage just passed the 30 year anniversary mark.

Enjoy- it goes by really quickly!

Advice? Wow, big area to cover, so I will simplify.

Accept who you are and who she is (she must do the same about you).

Being in love is easy. If you can live with and accept all those little annoying things you do to each other, that bug the heck out of each other, and realize you cannot change them, marriage works.

1st marriage lasted two years. Live and learn.

Current and only real marriage just passed the 30 year anniversary mark.

Enjoy- it goes by really quickly!

Thanks Rockpile. I'm hoping to only do this once but I know sometimes life has other plans. (If I do it again I'm eloping :flirt:)

My mom is refusing to let her ms get in the way of memories and wants to do the mother-son dance out of her wheelchair! It'll be a very slow dance without much moving but I can wait to create/give her that memory!

We had talked about this unfortunately planning and time got in the way of it. A family friend did it for his wedding and I did thought it was awesome. My 2 left feet though put a major kink in those plans. I plan on spending the entire dance telling her how lucky I feel, how happy she makes me, etc....

Your last line strikes me. I was a little concerned about the man rules with my wedding. I know when I see her coming down the aisle, I'm going to tear up. During the first dance, I'm going to tear up. The one that has me the most though is the dance with my mom - those songs are killer emotionally. My mother struggles with walking and is in a wheelchair but wants to dance with me so I'm going to be overly emotional. I'm going to be a blathering idiot on multiple occasions and then have to deal with it later. :blush:

ok, plan b if you're still interested in the dance: there's a series of dvd's called "anyone can dance" that you could get next day from amazon. i would recommend the waltz disc (waltz is only 3 basic steps). probably cost you about $10. spend a couple hours a night for 2-3 nights and learn the basic step, a turn and another move called a promenade. i think those are all the moves on the disc. you get those and you and your guests will be amazed - i guarantee it. alternatively, hold her close and shuffle to the music. not as impressive, but just as effective.

Thanks Rockpile. I'm hoping to only do this once but I know sometimes life has other plans. (If I do it again I'm eloping :flirt:)

My mom is refusing to let her ms get in the way of memories and wants to do the mother-son dance out of her wheelchair! It'll be a very slow dance without much moving but I can wait to create/give her that memory!

I have seen dancing like your Mom wants, and it is beautiful.

I am not in a wheel chair, but my MS makes me unbalanced/clumsy. People have jokingly said "shut him off" when I was carrying the first round from the bar to my table.

I have done the father / daughter dance with three daughters now. :thumbsup:

More advice - do not 'hope' to do it once, do it once. Yes, sh*t happens but you are already planning the next wedding! :w00t:

No one will remember your first dance after the second drink so there's no reason to put pressure on yourself to perform beyond your natural lack of ability.

Yes, tearing up during the wedding is slightly wussy but it's better than sporting a chubby if your soon-to-be-wife is looking hot. All rules go out the window for your mom though. Believe it or not, it'll be a bigger day for her than for you (assuming you're not one of the 'waiting for marriage' types).

Edited by KD in CT

No one will remember your first dance after the second drink so there's no reason to put pressure on yourself to perform beyond your natural lack of ability.

Slight correction: they will ONLY remember it if you make a complete clown of yourself. Ten years from now, no one's ever going to say "Oh my God, remember their first dance? That was beautiful!" But people will say "Oh my God, remember their first dance? What the !@#$ was that? Who told him he could dance?"

I have seen dancing like your Mom wants, and it is beautiful.

I am not in a wheel chair, but my MS makes me unbalanced/clumsy. People have jokingly said "shut him off" when I was carrying the first round from the bar to my table.

I have done the father / daughter dance with three daughters now. :thumbsup:

More advice - do not 'hope' to do it once, do it once. Yes, sh*t happens but you are already planning the next wedding! :w00t:

I actually said to my fiancee man next time I get married I want to elope. I didn't mean I thought it wasn't going to work just that all the details were annoying. I had a tough time talking my way out of that one :bag: . I ended up just saying I'm sorry I'm dumb 0:)

Yes, tearing up during the wedding is slightly wussy but it's better than sporting a chubby if your soon-to-be-wife is looking hot. All rules go out the window for your mom though. Believe it or not, it'll be a bigger day for her than for you (assuming you're not one of the 'waiting for marriage' types).

:lol: Yeah a chub might be frowned upon but hey its a compliment! B-)

Slight correction: they will ONLY remember it if you make a complete clown of yourself. Ten years from now, no one's ever going to say "Oh my God, remember their first dance? That was beautiful!" But people will say "Oh my God, remember their first dance? What the !@#$ was that? Who told him he could dance?"

Exactly my worry. My grandfather always said to me you can make our last name famous and I'll be proud, you just can't make it infamous. This situation follows that theory.

Marriage is a wonderful institution. Actually I would rather not be in an institution

Congrats and best wishes!

:lol: Thank you.

ok, so the formal waltz falls prey to your two left feet... still think this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQAY9NS1GwQ should be on the short list to consider for a wedding. from the aptly named "pure" album. disregard the stupid titanic imagery in the vid - that's just bizarre and so out of place with this beautiful song and voice. if you can count 1-2-3, you can belly rub to this song on a dance floor.

:lol: Yeah a chub might be frowned upon but hey its a compliment! B-)

But only if the Chubb is because of her, and not one (or all) of the bridesmaids or one of her family members.............

That can lead to more trouble and explaining, but its much better then if its because of one of your family memebrs :sick: .....

Have we made a choice?

Not yet however today is her birthday and I am taking her to dinner and the comedy club which will give us a car ride to listen to more songs. A decision is looming though as we have a "short list"

But only if the Chubb is because of her, and not one (or all) of the bridesmaids or one of her family members.............

That can lead to more trouble and explaining, but its much better then if its because of one of your family memebrs :sick: .....

:w00t:

Unless she's into that...

:lol: if she was into the bridesmaids (the non family ones you dirty old man :nana: )I would have already married her!

Not yet however today is her birthday and I am taking her to dinner and the comedy club which will give us a car ride to listen to more songs. A decision is looming though as we have a "short list"

:w00t:

:lol: if she was into the bridesmaids (the non family ones you dirty old man :nana: )I would have already married her!

So what's the verdict on songs?