Justin Tuck, Giants, new facemask

It's only a matter of time before we see them shaped like flames, gnashing teeth, skull and crossbones, etc.

Why not? As long as it doesn't affect the game, I couldn't care less. What does bother me are the tinted visors so that you can't see the player's eyes. I've always suspected that gives a player- especially a QB or RB- an unfair advantage.

Valid point. That should be part of the game that stays true.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To have the tinted visor, he must have a doctor's note... Or is that rule a thing of the past?

I believe that you do have to have a med note for that- I remember LaDainian Tomlinson talking about that once. But I don't think it's a hard thing to get. LT just told the doctor that the bright lights hurt his eyes and gave him a headache. Done.

I've been surprised there hasn't been more changes to the facemasks on helmets. You'd think they'd go for something a bit more solid to cut down on players grabbing it and turning necks.

Metal tech has (believe it or not) made huge leaps and bounds through the later years. Somebody said this was a Ti facemask... Imgaine the cost... ?? But they are making a mint.

Weight is the biggest factor I suppose... And then strength... ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Saw this article linked from another article....

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/The-story-behind-Justin-Tucks-Facemask/b02d5a11-6e46-40a8-897a-8c71cfcd6dc5

Looks pretty bad ass. I wonder how soon till other players and teams get it also.

its all right, I liked the long face masks when I played so you didn't take a helmet to the chin. I think I would go a punisher look.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3T0OcUN1loTEaT95FCpxb1MWa6lkdylRpMq9ZcBz-kO-1d74puQ

Why have bars at all? Could they make a mask that is entire visor. Better visibility for the player and nothing to grab onto?

That said, it's a sweet design.

It would probably have to be bulletproof to be the whole mask. I could see someone taking a hit square in the face and pieces of plastic exploding everywhere.

I'm kind of curious how the different face mask doesn't violate the "you need to have the same thing the rest of the team does" rule the nfl has in place for game apparel (unless the different designs are approved by them).

It would probably have to be bulletproof to be the whole mask. I could see someone taking a hit square in the face and pieces of plastic exploding everywhere.

I'm kind of curious how the different face mask doesn't violate the "you need to have the same thing the rest of the team does" rule the nfl has in place for game apparel (unless the different designs are approved by them).

If they can do it in hockey (some might remember Pat LaFontaine's full-face shield), they should be able to do it in football. No flying elbow is going to have the impact of a hockey puck.

If they can do it in hockey (some might remember Pat LaFontaine's full-face shield), they should be able to do it in football. No flying elbow is going to have the impact of a hockey puck.

I was referring more to when you have two players running at each other and the defender leads with his helmet to their face, but in regard to your hockey mask comment, you're probably right.

Why have bars at all? Could they make a mask that is entire visor. Better visibility for the player and nothing to grab onto?

I have actually discussed this with friends (we have a long drive).

We wondered if it would get foggy inside, or would rain and snow would stick to the outside? Sweat and spit could get all over the inside too. We thought about putting rain-x on the plastic shield, but then you have more to maintain. Open bars just seem easier to maintain.

Inside a closed helmet like that would be loud. Any noise the player made would reverberate back. Consequently, it would also seem to limit a substantial amount of surrounding noise.

But player recognition would be increased. Their mugs would be a lot more visible...

gorilla glass. incredible invention

Agreed that it's incredible, but I completely fail to see how that's going to work on a football field. Unless someone needs to run an app off of an opponent's helmet.

Gorilla Glass (Corning) is designed to be a relatively tough, yet incredibly electric-sensitive, surface for smart devices.

It is nowhere near strong enough to withstand any impact in any sport.

Just drop an iPhone without protection. You'll see what I mean.