Bills Future in Buffalo Partly Sunny

jimmy10

The fact that "they" are talking to an interested party/parties that have no idea how to go about buying an NFL team is not surprising and doesn't bother me. It's not a transactions that had taken place too often over the years.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ralph left the Bills to his wife, she would not, as his spouse, owe any inheritance taxes. Inheritance taxes only come into play when a non spouse ( child etc) inherits. Ralph has stated that he does not want his wife to own/operate the team, but has never explained why. It's hard to believe, given the history of this franchise, she could do any worse than Ralph. But obviously with his estate his children from first marriage come into play

Well he wants to keep the team in Buffalo and if his wife takes over the team on his passing she a) pays no estate taxes as his wife and b) would pay no cap gains is she sold it at his passing (she gets a step up in basis on his death). So she has an incredible motivation to sell the team to the highest bidder as soon as he passes no matter what their intentions. This would no way ensure the team stays in Buffalo which is what Ralph wants. If he sells before his death he can dictate who he sells to to keep the team in Buffalo but will have a major cap gains which will reduce the amount of $$ he can pass to his heirs or for his legacy. Quite the conumdrum. But if his number one goal was to ensure the team stays here he should, IMO, sell the team before he dies to control who he sells to. Now on the other hand the team could be in a trust that also instructs who the team can and cannot be sold to after his death. All this is very neat stuff and 100% speculation on our parts and it will all play out in the next few years. Fun to sit back and watch what is really in place.

Would be horrible.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2011/30/nfl-valuations-11_Buffalo-Bills_301765.html

Buffalo Bills average ticket price o(as of last season): $59

Not for all of us. And if there is a new stadium as part of new ownership AND it keeps the Bills in Buf? Well maybe we cant afford to play in this league then. Not saying I want it but I think thats more likely than not.

Lets see $720 per person on avg per year for two seats x 9 games and as a result the team stays. = priceless.

Just saw this myself as I was clicking around my usual sites at work. The article didn't reveal much other than speculation about these ownership groups but I feel like we have heard this song before...so I am not sure how reliable any of the information is. All I know is that if it is true, sounds like good news for us! I may not live in Buffalo but I sure want the Bills to keep living there. :thumbsup:

When i first read this I was a little sad. It feels dirty talking about what someone is going to do once someone else dies. Divide up his estate and make a huge sale.. we just need him to die first. I dont know I just feel bad thinking about Ralph that way.

That said i hope the Bills stay in Buffalo a long time

When i first read this I was a little sad. It feels dirty talking about what someone is going to do once someone else dies. Divide up his estate and make a huge sale.. we just need him to die first. I dont know I just feel bad thinking about Ralph that way.

That said i hope the Bills stay in Buffalo a long time

I agree with you there. I sure hope nobody is talking about me like that one day. Although I don't own a franchise either.

Once we hit 90, IF anyone still talks to us or about us, they will be talking this way. The fact that Ralph is still somewhat coherent, is amazing in itself.

However I think it's very fair to look past Ralph. He has done amazing things for Buffalo, but at this point he doesn't have much more to offer. Actually, it's quite well known that since he won't sell the team or take action to keep the team in Buffalo, he is keeping the Bills in a state of incredible uncertainty until he passes.

For all of the people who's jobs depend on the Bills, and who root for them as sports fans, it's only natural to wonder and worry what will happen after the inevitable.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Once we hit 90, IF anyone still talks to us or about us, they will be talking this way. The fact that Ralph is still somewhat coherent, is amazing in itself.

However I think it's very fair to look past Ralph. He has done amazing things for Buffalo, but at this point he doesn't have much more to offer. Actually, it's quite well known that since he won't sell the team or take action to keep the team in Buffalo, he is keeping the Bills in a state of incredible uncertainty until he passes.

For all of the people who's jobs depend on the Bills, and who root for them as sports fans, it's only natural to wonder and worry what will happen after the inevitable.

Dude, did you have to use that avatar.

I think the torch has already been passed. Media et al just can't nail down the "who". Everyone who's involved is being smart about it. You don't want the succession advertised. Lots of money, contracts and relationships at sake. It's better to keep everybody guessing and after all it's Mr. Wilson's team until it isn't.

Some of the first decisions of the incoming ownership were the free agent pursuits of Williams and Anderson. Not only was the spending of that massive amount of money on free agents atypical of Mr. Wilson, he wasn't even heard, seen or involved in the process. Reason being that the new ownership was in Buffalo.

I also believe the new ownership has their man in Whaley to succeed Nix.

When Mr. Wilson passes I think we'll all be surprised that there was a plan all along and it began long before his death. No businessman leaves his legacy up in the air like it's been reported. The last thing he or the family wants is the moving vans to pack up the Bills to Los Angeles the day after his death.

Edited by dpberr

Some people may find it macabre. And that's fine, it is a little macabre.

But, having watched David Starkey's "Monarchy" series just recently, it's not dissimilar to how important kingly succession was in the medieval era. If the king dies without an heir, history showed this led to a LOT of stupid bloodshed from within (and from without, for enemies who attacked during a time of disarray) by warring elements of the people who could pay for the biggest army. Likewise, Ralph has named no successor... just leaving it to the several groups of rich people to duke it out with $ rather than swords. A king was not a good king who didn't provide for the continuity / stability of his people in the event of his death and to have this planned well beforehand and as common knowledge.

You can attack this parallel, you can say that there's a secret plan, you can say that's just how it happens sometimes.... But the truth of it is that in the measure of things, Ralph has failed the fans in this regard. At his age, one thinks about a legacy and what will be thought of you when you're no longer here. Yep, he was part of the early league, kept the team here while he was alive and did quite a bit of good for the community. But will that impression of the man last long after he's gone? If he provided a solid future, he would be SAINTED. If the Bills leave through this, he's going to be looked at as little better than Art Modell.

I think the torch has already been passed. Media et al just can't nail down the "who". Everyone who's involved is being smart about it. You don't want the succession advertised. Lots of money, contracts and relationships at sake. It's better to keep everybody guessing and after all it's Mr. Wilson's team until it isn't.

Some of the first decisions of the incoming ownership were the free agent pursuits of Williams and Anderson. Not only was the spending of that massive amount of money on free agents atypical of Mr. Wilson, he wasn't even heard, seen or involved in the process. Reason being that the new ownership was in Buffalo.

When Mr. Wilson passes I think we'll all be surprised that there was a plan all along and it began long before his death. No businessman leaves his legacy up in the air like it's been reported. The last thing he or the family wants is the moving vans to pack up the Bills to Los Angeles the day after his death.

:thumbsup: I agree with this post, almost 100%

You know, something like that doesn't sound too far fetched. I keep thinking back to that tweet Chad Kelly put out last year that was promptly erased and let to his twitter account even going away for a while. Something about the "new man" or something. It was pretty easy to deduce what it was about (and I remember the lengthy TBD thread on the subject). Chad Kelly may be a dumbass, but he's a dumbass on the inside.

We'll know in due time I guess. But I wish Mr. Wilson many more years in relative good health.

I was going to start a new thread, but I'll just mention it here.

One of the big things people forget in the relocation discussion is that despite LA's huge market/population- the football aspect of it is pretty much cornered.

So, would it be wise for an owner to take a risk on establishing a "new" franchise and try to compete with a number of other interests/options? I think it is a better idea to cater to an established fan base that isn't as small or poor as people seem to believe.

When you include the Rochester market, the Bills area of influence so to speak is on par with a number of other markets- on the lower end, yes, but certainly in the same league (pardon the pun). Other areas of the country that are comprable population-wise and GDP-wise already have a football franchise in place that their constituents root for- whether NFL or NCAA. The only real exceptions in the Continental US would be Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. Feel free to correct me if I am forgetting someplace.

But I'm not trying to argue the viability of an expansion team no matter what competition for gaining fans/selling tickets/etc. might be, but I think when we start talking relocation, you are talking about an owner thinking, "Do I risk trying to build a new fan base (which would almost certainly be predicated on "stealing" fans from another team's base) while walking away from a "sure thing?" On top of that risk, the cost of relocation would add hundreds of millions of dollars to the price tag of just buying the team (due to stadium and infrastructure costs).

It seems like the prudent business move for the future owner(s) of the Bills is to stay in Buffalo, where the market/fan base is established. Sure there is a chance to make more money in a bigger market, but as the saying goes - "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Am I way off base here? What do you guys think?