Sunday Ticket

Let me start off by saying thanks to members on this board for their useful information. As others have noted asking to go directly to the cancellation department might be the best approach to getting a discount for the TICKET. I went directly to that department and stated that I was considering giving up my service because of the cost of the ticket and the ability to pursue other cable options.

The end result is I ended up getting the TICKET for free, a $200 saving. I only expected a $100 discout.

The only stipulation was that I had to commit to a full year of service, which I intended to do anyway. One factor the customer service rep considers in a discout request is the length of time one has been with Directv. I made the point with the rep that if a new customer is getting free TICKET service then it isn't unreasonable to give the long term customer the same benefit.

As many others have noted the best approach is to be polite. If you can't work out a deal then be respectful and just try again at a later time. In general, the customer service people are reasonable and flexible. In my view DirecTv has one of the best customer service departments.

Thanks again for the money saving information.

I dont agree with the length of time theory. I've had dtv for at least 5 years. I'm going on year 3 at new address. (They think I'm a new customer; Set-up on wife account this time)

Year one. Free ticket like everyone

Year two. Still under contract. But paid FREE for dtv. HOW? I told them the following which is true anyway: I want to cancel my dtv. Them: You will owe $100. Me:Verizon fios has offered me a $200 gift card, I will make $100 by cancelling with you and going with them. Them: Oh no sir, If we give you the ticket for free, would you stay? Me: I'll think about it, but not sure, maybe. Them: We can do it sir. Me: Ok DIRECTV YOU CONVINCED ME TO STAY, I'LL TAKE THE TICKET FOR FREE. Me: Hung up. Them: Probably fired that employee.

Year three. Read my previous posts. Of course now out of contract I could have paid zero. But $100 was fair to me. But wait, I got $40 off for 6 months. Isnt this free anyway? Lol

Year four. Will be free 100%. I can't let them take advantage of me 2 yrs in a row.

I love this thread.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start off by saying thanks to members on this board for their useful information. As others have noted asking to go directly to the cancellation department might be the best approach to getting a discount for the TICKET. I went directly to that department and stated that I was considering giving up my service because of the cost of the ticket and the ability to pursue other cable options.

The end result is I ended up getting the TICKET for free, a $200 saving. I only expected a $100 discout.

The only stipulation was that I had to commit to a full year of service, which I intended to do anyway. One factor the customer service rep considers in a discout request is the length of time one has been with Directv. I made the point with the rep that if a new customer is getting free TICKET service then it isn't unreasonable to give the long term customer the same benefit.

As many others have noted the best approach is to be polite. If you can't work out a deal then be respectful and just try again at a later time. In general, the customer service people are reasonable and flexible. In my view DirecTv has one of the best customer service departments.

Thanks again for the money saving information.

has nothing to do with length of service

it has to do with how many credits you currently have on your account

if you don't have any, then by calling they will give you one.

I didn't argue for the ST for free this year and was happy with 99 because I've have been getting 20 bucks off a month of my account for the past yr and have the rest of the yr before I call and get it again.

has nothing to do with length of service

it has to do with how many credits you currently have on your account

if you don't have any, then by calling they will give you one.

I didn't argue for the ST for free this year and was happy with 99 because I've have been getting 20 bucks off a month of my account for the past yr and have the rest of the yr before I call and get it again.

That makes sense. However, I'm wondering if someone with a lot of credits can negotiate getting the ticket for free.

My guess is yes. But one would have to "earn" it by hard core dealing.

In my opinion, I think YOUR OWN character and willingness to negotiate is the biggest factor.

Get it done guys!!!!

the average NFL game has only 11 minutes of action (start of play to whistle). the rest of the 3 hours is walking back to huddle, replays and commercials.

i'm a big fan of the Red Zone.....they show constant action from several games , all commercial free.

Jonny Hammersticks is correct. Best program in town. No cable where I live. No TV reception to speak of. Had the 12 foot Turner dish for years. I am very thankful for Direct. Last year I called and got half price. This year I'm very happy with 199.00. I am thankful for my Bills.

DC Tom- no friends that own a chain saw? Everybody goes on vaction sometime. Top it.

Called DirecTV yesterday trying to angle for a deal on the NFL Package. After some verbal sparring around, the rep claimed there was no way they could lower the price. I replied I have been a DirecTV subscriber for 6-7 years, there must be something they could do. And they did....$20 off my bill per month for a year. My tiny brain tells me that adds up to $240. So I paid full price for the package, $199. So be it.

Go Bills!

Called DirecTV yesterday trying to angle for a deal on the NFL Package. After some verbal sparring around, the rep claimed there was no way they could lower the price. I replied I have been a DirecTV subscriber for 6-7 years, there must be something they could do. And they did....$20 off my bill per month for a year. My tiny brain tells me that adds up to $240. So I paid full price for the package, $199. So be it.

Go Bills!

Yep, that's the routine, and that's what folks are talking about when they say it matters whether you have any "credits" on your account. Good work!

So I've only had DTV now for about three months so am still well under initial contract. Started service a little over two weeks after they offered free Sunday Ticket for new subscribers. When I originally signed up I even asked they guy about deals for Sunday Ticket to which he replied that's like 3 months away. In all likelihood he didn't know about upcoming offer. I've tried now twice to call up got the original person asked for deal, got the standard response that the $299/$199 offers are already a big discount. Told me couldn't give me anything better, I kept asking to transfer me to retention department, person last night responded there's no such a thing as retention department. I could hear her typing away in background for over 1o minutes. After that both times I was then placed on hold,( supposedly waiting for someone to answer) after 10 to15 minutes line went dead.

Tonight ironically I got an email from DTV asking me to fill out survey about satisfaction over recent call, I gave them 1's! Will see if that gets me a response.

So my question is with only being a 3 month subscriber still under contract, do I have much chance of getting any kind of a deal. Is there some better words to get them to transfer me. Are there limited hours that retention department is open? Likely by the time I got cut off last night was probably after 10:00pm. First time I called was on Saturday. I did also have DTV for about a 2 1/2 year period back around 6 years ago when I still lived in Western NY

Edited by Ed_Roch

So I've only had DTV now for about three months so am still well under initial contract. Started service a little over two weeks after they offered free Sunday Ticket for new subscribers. When I originally signed up I even asked they guy about deals for Sunday Ticket to which he replied that's like 3 months away. In all likelihood he didn't know about upcoming offer. I've tried now twice to call up got the original person asked for deal, got the standard response that the $299/$199 offers are already a big discount. Told me couldn't give me anything better, I kept asking to transfer me to retention department, person last night responded there's no such a thing as retention department. I could hear her typing away in background for over 1o minutes. After that both times I was then placed on hold,( supposedly waiting for someone to answer) after 10 to15 minutes line went dead.

Tonight ironically I got an email from DTV asking me to fill out survey about satisfaction over recent call, I gave them 1's! Will see if that gets me a response.

So my question is with only being a 3 month subscriber still under contract, do I have much chance of getting any kind of a deal. Is there some better words to get them to transfer me. Are there limited hours that retention department is open? Likely by the time I got cut off last night was probably after 10:00pm. First time I called was on Saturday. I did also have DTV for about a 2 1/2 year period back around 6 years ago when I still lived in Western NY

just call back and say hey I just signed up and I see you give it free to the new people who signed up after me. I think I should get sometime of a deal on it since if I knew I would have waited a little longer.

keep saying customer retention to the operator before you ever speak to a real person.

I am a long time Directv guy, but a season ticket holder, so I don't do the NFL package, get plenty included in my Directv package (includes the NFL network) But, I know that DTV folks put those dishes on their roof, I advise new customers to NOT put the dish on the roof if you can avoid it. Holes in a roof are always a bad idea. I put mine on the deck side, wife was OK with that. And, as a bonus, when the rare occasion occurs (north of Buffalo where we live) that the dish gets coated with snow or freezing rain, I can walk out and clear it easily without risking my life. Just sayin....

Oh yeh, one more thing, when we do the snowbird thing in January/April, we can suspend the directv service and I don't have to pay anything while I am gone! Can do this two times a year!

Just made the call myself. I've been with them 5 years. Spoke to customer retention and told him i was concerned about both the cost of the ticket and the cost of my monthly bill. I was able to get a few dollars off for being an "early subscriber" and then a $10 bill credit for a year. All in all i got the ticket this season for $75. They also let me split payment of the ticket over 6 months instead of the usual 5.

Edited by Ramius

Just made my call today. I also made this call out of necessity as well. My wife is awesome and granted me my man cave wish to have three TV's in there to watch sports. So, I needed two more HD receivers and, of course, the Sunday Ticket. So, at retail, I was looking at $99 each for the receivers, and $199 or $299 for Sunday Ticket.

Called and told them FIOS would give me a gift card to cover leaving DTV early as well as give me my HD recievers for free and NFL Redzone channel. The guy said, well, with FIOS you can't get the Sunday TIcket. I told him I was a season ticket holder (which I am), and that the Bills also had a Thursday game, so I was just using the ticket for 7 games anyway. He put me on hold and came back with this deal......

2 HD Recivers and the Sunday Ticket (not MAX), but the regular Sunday Ticket for free.

Couldn't be happier. New additional receivers get hooked up next week, and I can't wait til football.

Thanks DTV!!!

• 1 month later...

So I called back again, finally talked with customer retention, complained how I was a new subscriber in April, 2 weeks after I signed up they started offering Sunday Ticket for free, complained about the Viacom disruption, some equipment issues, the fact that three times when I called up I got disconnected. What probably helped sell it was during the call while the person explained how reliable their call system is, we got disconnected. He did call me back though, this was initially promotion department, so then talked with retention. They make it so confusing with all these credits and stuff hard to figure it out exactly what I'm getting, so will see on the actual bills. I ended up getting a $15 credit for three months, then a $30 one time credit, so added all up getting Sunday Ticket for $125. In addition I'm also getting because of the Viacom issue, a $10 credit for three months and another $5 credit for three months. Whether these credits are concurrent or consecutive, not certain, but either way wouldn't care. Why they have to make it so confusing I don't know, maybe they figure by making it hard to figure out prevents others from calling and saying well you gave "Fred" this deal as who knows exactly what "Fred" got. So if I get these credits on top of the $125, essentially would be paying $80 for Sunday Ticket. For a new subscriber who already has a bunch of credits coming, I'm happy. Took alot of effort and phone calls, but finally got someone who gave me a decent deal. Now I just need to sit back and watch the games.

Made my annual call. Didn't even have to say much. Asked if there were any specials and mentioned I may have to cancel HOB/Showtime to pay for Sunday Ticket.

Got 1/2 off Sunday Ticket Max

$10/month off movie channels for 6 months

Free HD ($10.00/month) for 1 year

$20/month off programming for 1 year.

I love DirecTV!!

I just received an email from Directv that they were upgrading me to Sunday Ticket Max at no extra charge. I logged into my account online and sure enough it has me as subscribed to it. If you're a Sunday Ticket subscriber and you didn't receive the upgrade, I suggest you call and look into it.

Edited by joeincalifornia

the average NFL game has only 11 minutes of action (start of play to whistle). the rest of the 3 hours is walking back to huddle, replays and commercials.

i'm a big fan of the Red Zone.....they show constant action from several games , all commercial free.

It's also about the buildup and anticipation of the next play.

I'll be getting the Sunday Ticket on PS3 again this year. DirecTV will confirm its availability on the phone but it's not for sale until mid to late August because it undermines their subscription service (but they have to offer it per their contract with the NFL).

It was great last year. The only week that sucked, as it always does, is week 1 when it's on free trial and the network gets bogged down.