Sunday Ticket

Sunday Ticket could charge $600 and I would still pay for it, I don't think I could ever go back to not being able to watch the Bills. I live in Mississippi and there's four teams they play the hell out of on Fox and CBS: Cowboys, Saints, Falcons, and Titans. Terrible!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you going to be a dick and call for a discount. Cheap Ass...... :thumbdown:

Some folks might take a free HR34 and pay full price for their football. Some folks.

They had nothing to do with each other. However, when someone offers you a gift, you don't ask for it to be wrapped.

Au contraire, they have everything to do with each other, it's just you're a hypocrite. The contradiction is right in the same thread. It's OK for you to take a freebie, but others are "dicks" and "cheap ass" for inquiring about discounts. We get it, they offered you something and you took it. Then in the next breath you decide it's OK to call others dicks for calling the same company you just got a freebie from and asking about incentives that are obviously available. Yeah, OK...

Two seasons ago the answer was no, not certain if it's changed por not. At the beginning of the seaosn there were "DVR like" buttons on the window, but they didn't work. After a couple of weeks the buttons disapeared completely. I was thinking at the time that maybe it was functionallity thye never got working in time, but would have rolled out by the next season, 2011. But I didn't bother with the package last year so don't know if they ever did move forward with it or not. There were a couple of things like that didn't work great but could have been improved. Yuo oculd watch four games at once but couldn't maximize the window so you're looking at a 2 X 3 inch screen. But if you viewed one window, it could be maxed.

Quick question for those streaming Ticket through PS3: can the PS3 act like a DVR and record your games? Or pause them?

Called up today and got the basic package for $99. The rep did point out that DTV lowered the price to $199 this year (which basically turns back the clock several years), but when I pointed out that new subscribers get it for free, she put me on hold for awhile. She was probably just filing her nails, but a 10 minute call saved me $100.

They gave me the discount. I got them down to $130 for the season. I couldn't get them any lower.

And I got some movie channels for free for a few months out of it. I guess I'll take that as solace seeing as how I didn't get the $99 deal you did.

They gave me the discount. I got them down to $130 for the season. I couldn't get them any lower.

And I got some movie channels for free for a few months out of it. I guess I'll take that as solace seeing as how I didn't get the $99 deal you did.

You did fine. It's possible I have more seniority as a DTV customer. I've heard that can factor into their dealmaking.

I have had the Sunday ticket since it came out. Before 2002 i just used direct TV for that, after 2002 i decided to switch after the cable companies kept moving up the price. When the NFL network came out there was no going back to cable as some don't get that channel. For me whenever i call i always say cancel service at the prompt, and it asks you if you want to change or cancel and say cancel again. This gets you to the customer retention dept. When i talk to them i don't even put on a show. I call about every 3 months and ask what offers they have available and they give it to me. No threats or anything you just have to deal with the right dept. I called about the ticket and i got 40 bucks off of the full ticket being a total of 260, showtime free for a year, stars free for 6 months and 10 bucks a month off of my service. I made no threats just asked what offers are available. They are really nice in that department and i have had no problems.

A few months ago i tried to call and get my kids rooms updated to HD receivers for the SWIM so they could watch the recorded shows. The regular customer service told me that i could buy one and get one free, i also wanted the cinema adapter for on-demand that you need once going to SWIM. Altogether it was going to be 25 for the cinema part, 100 for one HD receiver, and 50 for the visit for install for a total of 175. I called right back and talked to the retention dept, and it was all was free. So bottom line talk to them for everything. She did tell me that doing equipment upgrades like that for free are typically only done every 24 months, maybe as little as a year depending on your account history and length of service and how often you ask for them, but that is when dealing with the retention dept not regular service they have much more stringent restrictions put on them(so don't use them).

Great advice, mikey. I generally go straight to retention for that reason, and on the one or two occasions I did not, I was incredibly frustrated. I've had DTV since 1994 -- my account number is six digits!

I just called. I have run this trick on them 4 straight years and I did again today

got Sunday ticket (BASIC 199) for 99.96 just by saying I work with someone who is new and got it for free and heard another guy bragging he got it for 99 bucks. She didn't even hesitate and gave it to me for 99.96.

The funny thing, she said this is the last year they're doing this for me (LOL) I call BS on that one

Here's my dilemma. if I get Sunday Ticket, even for free, I have no excuse to get out of the house and go have a few beers by myself or with some buddies. Yes I know I spend a lot more by going out. But my wife hates football. If I get Sunday Ticket its, "Why are you going out if you paid for Sunday Ticket?" Conclusion:

Don't buy Sunday Ticket, go out, and have some fun.

I decided to call back today. I got them down to $100 after calling a few weeks ago. Well I asked for the retention & I just layed it all on the table. Said I think it is a disgrace that you are treating new customers better then loyal customers that have been spending their hard money on DTV for years. I said it was a slap in the face to guys like me. After putting me on hold for 5 minutes the lady comes back & says & I quote "Mr. Taylor, I could not agree more, where are going to give you an instant $100 credit towards your bill, would that suffice?" I said yes it would.

I can not emphasize this enough when you call. 1st, ask for the retention department, this is a critical step. 2nd, be polite but firm & lay on the injustice as thick as you can. I have been with DTV for 9 years so don't know if seniority plays a role in this & my monthly bill is $110 I believe so not sure what that will get me rated as a customer. Man, I never felt so alive, this is better feeling then having sex(or at least having sex with my wife haha)

Here's my dilemma. if I get Sunday Ticket, even for free, I have no excuse to get out of the house and go have a few beers by myself or with some buddies. Yes I know I spend a lot more by going out. But my wife hates football. If I get Sunday Ticket its, "Why are you going out if you paid for Sunday Ticket?" Conclusion:

Don't buy Sunday Ticket, go out, and have some fun.

I definately hear ya on that point, not sure how old you are but as you get older there is just something about going down in your basement & flicking on the tvs & having the the mini fridge stocked with your beverage of choice & not having to worry about drinking & driving, lines for the bathroom or having some idiot bartender controlling the tvs. When I am not at the stadium I have learned to appreciate staying at home & watching any game I want on Sundays in the fall.

Edited by Gordio

I enjoy my DirecTV service, never had an issue in 6+ years. Did get Center Ice three years ago and watched every Sabres game. With the NBC Sports Network, NHL Network and NBC I can get my Sabres fix that way now. But I will be ordering the NFL Package this year now that they lowered the price. Getting to see the Bills every week? Outstanding.

Go Bills!

Finally made my annual call to Customer Retention yesterday afternoon. I'll admit, the rep made me work for it, but at the end of the day I'll get the Sunday Ticket "Max" (which includes the mobile platforms) for $100. She also agreed to upgrade one of my older HD-DVRs for free, just for being "such a good, loyal customer."

Sure, that was 30 minutes of my day, but a $200 savings is nice.

Let me start off by saying thanks to members on this board for their useful information. As others have noted asking to go directly to the cancellation department might be the best approach to getting a discount for the TICKET. I went directly to that department and stated that I was considering giving up my service because of the cost of the ticket and the ability to pursue other cable options.

The end result is I ended up getting the TICKET for free, a $200 saving. I only expected a $100 discout.

The only stipulation was that I had to commit to a full year of service, which I intended to do anyway. One factor the customer service rep considers in a discout request is the length of time one has been with Directv. I made the point with the rep that if a new customer is getting free TICKET service then it isn't unreasonable to give the long term customer the same benefit.

As many others have noted the best approach is to be polite. If you can't work out a deal then be respectful and just try again at a later time. In general, the customer service people are reasonable and flexible. In my view DirecTv has one of the best customer service departments.

Thanks again for the money saving information.

Edited by JohnC

I just called. I have run this trick on them 4 straight years and I did again today

got Sunday ticket (BASIC 199) for 99.96 just by saying I work with someone who is new and got it for free and heard another guy bragging he got it for 99 bucks. She didn't even hesitate and gave it to me for 99.96.

The funny thing, she said this is the last year they're doing this for me (LOL) I call BS on that one

Of course its bs.

Since I dont know what package you have....Assuming you are missing a channel or have a basic package, next year just add a channel or upgrade your package THEN make your "threat" call. You will appear to be a customer they wont want to lose. They will give it to you free AGAIN!

Great job!!!