Gailey and Wannstedt - Best Bills play calling combo ever?

I was wondering could Chan Gailey and Dave Wannstedt be the best offensive/defensive play caller combination the Bills ever had together in one season?

If not what combo is?

I added the following for clarification purposes of this thread

Gailey and Wannstedt have called plays for many years. They hey have built a good reputation as play callers. They just haven't done it in the same season together for the Bills yet.

The point is that because of their reputations that they have already established, they could be the best play calling combination the Bills have ever put together in 1 specific season.

Generally the Bills in the past have been good at having 1 good coordinator and struggle on the other side of the ball. With these 2 guys as play callers, the Bills have the opportunity to have a top 10 offense and defense.

This is interesting to think about because of the potential it can bring for the Bills to be a quality football team on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Superhero

Levy and Marchibroda?

Saban and Collier?

How can you say that after a six win season? Hell...Mularkey and Jauron could make a claim to be better than Gailey and W. at this point in time.

Levy didn't call plays. Walt Cory was the d coordinator with Marchabroda as OC

Wannstedt did not call plays in the 6 win season last year. George Edwards did.

Edited by Superhero

Levy did reserve the ability to call all redzone offensive plays. The team was great and suceeded in the facet of the game during the TD by Butch Rolle days but was a disaster giving Christie a ton of short FGs in the later Levy years.

I was wondering would Chan Gailey and Dave Wannstedt would be the best offensive/defensive play caller combination the Bills ever had together in one season?

Gadzooks, I like to be HOPEFUL, and even I think we should we have a couple winning seasons before commencing this kind of talk :thumbdown:

Nothing against Gailey, nothing against Wannstedt, just show me the baby first!

I was wondering would Chan Gailey and Dave Wannstedt would be the best offensive/defensive play caller combination the Bills ever had together in one season?

I would like to think that eventually this will be proven true - hopefully this season!

(So far, however, all empirical evidence points to Jim Kelly and Walt Corey.)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Exactly and Walt Cory sucked as a DC, look at our D rankings during the superbowl run. Not exactly blowing the doors off the league. AND the sad thing is, look at the amazing talent he had to work with!

While Wanny has had some really good defenses, I am not sure if he has ever had a number 1 defense.

The best offensive defensive combination I could think of would have to go to:

Marchibroda and Wade Phillips

Ted had the benefit of working with Jim Kelly and later Peyton Manning; some could argue he his career suffered from outright luxury and the QB skill position:)

I was never a big fan of Walt Corey's bend don't break defenses because they kept the other offense on the field and ours on the sideline, but Walt had a tough assignment with the K-Gun often going 3 and out in 30 seconds so his defenses were on the field quite a bit.

Gailey gets a bit locked into his short passing game when Jax is running well*, and at times shows an inability to adjust, I am not sure about Wanny right now. It has been a while since he called the shots from the sideline, but he did a really good job with halftime adjustments last year. Let's hope he continues the streak from the sidelines that he did from the booth.

*Now I believe that Gailey did call a lot of plays where the play was right there for Fitz, but he simply missed on the critical throws or the ball was dropped. I hope that was just the rib issues with Fitz, and that Stevie (the source of the lion's share of critical drops) focuses on catching and securing the ball rather than what attention starved end zone antic he will perform after his TD. Stevie just needs to look at the careers of those receivers who were addicted to the lime light and attention to see where that road leads... not a good place and as their careers wind down they become more and more pathetic in their attempts to gain the attention they crave. Hopefully we find that other receiver who can take some of the critical throws and provide some balance to Stevie's ego.

Levy did reserve the ability to call all redzone offensive plays. The team was great and suceeded in the facet of the game during the TD by Butch Rolle days but was a disaster giving Christie a ton of short FGs in the later Levy years.

Levy called the short yardage plays especially in the red zone and yes he did struggle towards the end bc he called the same freaking play every time and everyone knew it. Tight end went in motion from left to right, came back left and blocked up the middle left of center leading the RB

I like the Stache but come on, the team hasn't even played a down in his system with him as the DC. Wade Phillips has been one of the best DC's in the league for a long time and is certainly the best the Bills have ever had

I'm still not the huge fan of Gaileys a lot of people are. He is creative but I think he gets caught up in himself too much and is way too pass happy for a team with a below average receiving corp and whose strength is at RB

Marchibroda proved how good he was when he made Vinny Testeverde look like Warren Moon when they were with Baltimore. No coincidence Bills offense started to decline when he left and Levy decided to get way too involved in the offense stating on more then one occasion that it was more complex then it used to be

Levy said the league caught up with the no huddle which was obviously not true. He felt the need to get more involved and for some reason had one guy calling passing plays, another calling the running plays with him still calling short yardage...how dumb was that

Edited by Max997

Ted had the benefit of working with Jim Kelly and later Peyton Manning; some could argue he his career suffered from outright luxury and the QB skill position:)

I was never a big fan of Walt Corey's bend don't break defenses because they kept the other offense on the field and ours on the sideline, but Walt had a tough assignment with the K-Gun often going 3 and out in 30 seconds so his defenses were on the field quite a bit.

You are aware that there's a 4-year gap between Marchibroda's departure as OC and Philips arrival as DC?

JMO, but Kelly was pretty much the OC by the end of Marchibroda's tenure here (1991). Given the quick-scoring nature of the Bills' offense back then( that pretty much put the Bills D right back on the field as soon as they got off), I'd say that Corey's D (which ranked as high as 5th in the league during the Superbowl run), was a fine unit.

Again, JMO.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

One thing for sure is that the intensity level is going to go up even more with Wanny being the D coordinator . That was one thing i thought was great just by adding Gailey into the mix from Jauron , the intensity level from the coaching position quadrupled !!

Now you put Wanny in there & it will go up another 10 notches or so , which if teams match there what there coaches are like i think this will be a great upgrade on our D .

I don't know that it's all in what you know about the game , there is a lot to be said about chemistry , no matter how good some ones individual talent is if there isn't chemistry between the players or members it just doesn't work some times .

There are many examples ; before Marv Levy got to B/lo he didn't do all that well , insert him into the Bills with Kelly , Marchibroda , T . Thomas , Reed , & there you go history was made !!

After Molly hatchets lead singer Danny Joe Brown left the group after the second album "Flirtin With Disaster" then came back after another 2 albums went by with lead singer Jimmy Frare & other original members left they could never get back to what they had on the first to albums B/C the chemistry was goofed up ..

I Billeave that we may have finally found the CHEMISTRY our team needs to make it to the play offs !! I just hope that everyone involved stays happy in their roles & don't want to move on to so called bigger & better things !!

While Wanny has had some really good defenses, I am not sure if he has ever had a number 1 defense.

I don't think Ted ever worked with Peyton Manning

You are aware that there's a 4-year gap between Marchibroda's departure as OC and Philips arrival as DC?

JMO, but Kelly was pretty much the OC by the end of Marchibroda's tenure here (1991). Given the quick-scoring nature of the Bills' offense back then( that pretty much put the Bills D right back on the field as soon as they got off), I'd say that Corey's D (which ranked as high as 5th in the league during the Superbowl run), was a fine unit.

Again, JMO.

Not just your opinion (especially Kelly running his own offense)... :thumbsup:

While Wanny has never had a number ONE defense......what I like is he was pretty consistant at always havng very GOOD defenses......he didnt havig e sporatic success here and there.....he was consistant. BEING CONSISTANT IS WHAT YOU LOOK FOR IN A GOOD COACH......because there are too many variables in the equation when its a one or done situation......for christ sake Dick J. had a winning season.....one

Also

I dont think Wanny has ever had this much talent to work with. When you consider that the strength of his defense is the 4 down linemen....then you give him 2 pro bowlers, an athletic freak like Darius, and a 10 sack guy who doesn't even play full time.....well.....its like being a kid on christmas morning and you got everything you asked for on your list.

From what I have gathered big difference in the coaching

Former DC to Kelvin Sheppard "Look....we are running defensive package XYZ Delta....you gotta read this and that......watch for this and that" (then everyone gets demolished up front....a OG makes it to the second level and blocks Shep......1st down)

Wanny "Kelvin forget all that @hit......take your read step.....watch which way the guard is pulling.....and ATTACK....dont worry about what the other LB's are doing.....you are responsible for area X......stop thinking so much this is football its not complicated......just take your read step and attack the ball! Your big uglies up front will keep you clean......BRING ME MY BALL

Why didn't we fear this pair when they were in the same roles w/ Dolphins??

Dave Wannstedt is yet to be seen but as for Gailey. I love the guy. I really frikkin do. But calling slant passes and screens all day doesn't equal "the best" playcalling... Hopefully this year with a couple no name guys like Easley and Graham he can pull out some reverse plays or some kind of trickery... Im not a fan of it all the time but being that playcalling is like playing chess, the unexpected sometimes is needed...

I still say feed Fred and CJ 50% of the plays and hope Fitz can take care of the rest... Hopefully we'll see a lot of 3 and outs on Defense also...We're all tired of losing and pretty much all our players know what's expected of them... This is the year for positive change... Anything less than a playoff berth is a failure... The borderline would have to be that if week 17 if we still have playoff hopes and don't get in, then I'd also call that a success because at least we were in it til the end instead of being mathematically ruled out of the playoffs by week 13...

Based on what exactly? This may be the most inept thread ever started here that I have seen. Congrats on that.

Dave Wannstedt is yet to be seen but as for Gailey. I love the guy. I really frikkin do. But calling slant passes and screens all day doesn't equal "the best" playcalling... Hopefully this year with a couple no name guys like Easley and Graham he can pull out some reverse plays or some kind of trickery... Im not a fan of it all the time but being that playcalling is like playing chess, the unexpected sometimes is needed...

I still say feed Fred and CJ 50% of the plays and hope Fitz can take care of the rest... Hopefully we'll see a lot of 3 and outs on Defense also...We're all tired of losing and pretty much all our players know what's expected of them... This is the year for positive change... Anything less than a playoff berth is a failure... The borderline would have to be that if week 17 if we still have playoff hopes and don't get in, then I'd also call that a success because at least we were in it til the end instead of being mathematically ruled out of the playoffs by week 13...

I think Gailey adjusts his play calling to what is available to him

Uh ... they have yet to call plays together.

It is easy to forget that our teams in the 60's had great coaches, our early 80's teams were not slouches (victory over Dolphins to end their domination over us), and of course the Levy years.

When you combine the players we have with our coaches then perhaps they can be at the top. Key is how they make half time adjustments and wins.

I think Gailey adjusts his play calling to what is available to him

What you "think" and what we see are different.. . I don't know who and quite frankly I don't care who's to blame for the play calling. Whether its Fitz being injured or half of the other players who are difference makers being injured, to answer the OP's question, no. Gailey is not the best signal caller to date... I DO trust that Gailey can get things turned around though.

At this point I wouldn't want anybody but Gailey as our head coach. That's only my opinion though...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Let's get on the field first and see the baby before we start this.

LOL!

+ 1

Seriously. Gailey got figured out last season, and had NO answers IMO.

Let's see if he can get this team to .500 before throwing all kinds of accolades his way: PLEASE?!

Damn. :unsure:

let the water come to full boil before you add the pasta. Then drain water and add sauce and seasonings. and a sprinkle of cheese

We are still at the boiling water part of the recipe. Looks like we have great ingredients ready to add, but much too soon to say how itsa gonna taste.

And Gailey has done exactly what as an O coordinator?

Broke the nasty record of straight losses against The evil Patriots that seemed nearly impossible with no real stars besides Fred and.. well Fred.

that counts right?

What you "think" and what we see are different.. . I don't know who and quite frankly I don't care who's to blame for the play calling. Whether its Fitz being injured or half of the other players who are difference makers being injured, to answer the OP's question, no. Gailey is not the best signal caller to date... I DO trust that Gailey can get things turned around though.

At this point I wouldn't want anybody but Gailey as our head coach. That's only my opinion though...

+ 1

He must have done something right to get a head coaching gig in the NFL two different times from an OC position.

Just ignore him.

Chan's rep around the league (and what keeps getting him hired) is that he can work effectively with mediocre talent/opportunities (that more renowned OCs or HCs avoid--right Shanny?). He adapts to what he has, rather than trying to pound square pegs into round holes...

Edited by Lurker

Oh please! Were you born yesterday? What a ridiculous question. Look at the history books on the Bills before you post such a silly question.

Right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Gailey

.437 as head choach. <_<

There are ALWAYS people on this board who basically are either appologists for the coaching staff and front office in place, or whoever it is, or worship them.

Show me a winning season.

Show me a playoff birth.

Show me a playoff win.

Your opinions are much like you avatar: crap.

Right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Gailey

.437 as head choach. <_<

There are ALWAYS people on this board who basically are either appologists for the coaching staff and front office in place, or whoever it is, or worship them.

Show me a winning season.

Show me a playoff birth.

Show me a playoff win.

Your opinions are much like you avatar: crap.

Too funny. I bet you're fun at parties... ;)