Saints shouldn't give brees a long term deal

M. Williams got a good frontload. 20 million guaranteed year 1 and the same year2. Brees should get no less.

While I generally agree, a ufa hitting the open market vs a guy negotiating with a single team has a different dynamic. Just because he wants (or deserves) something doesn't mean it's totally feasible when your talking 15-20% of the cap. I think the end numbers come close to mannings last indy deal though. Though maybe a tiny bit short.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow a lot of haters in this thread. Nevermind he's the most prolific QB in the league the past several years. And of course the bounty scandal reflects back on him. Jesus you guys are clueless.

Agreed. What more has any QB done for his team the last few years? Even if you "hate" the guy, how can you look past his numbers/success? Can you imagine the outcry if he had done all this on the Bills and they were dragging their feet to resign him??

Totally clueless.

1337224738[/url]' post='2468595']

I have never got the all-love relationship with Brees. He's a tool, a douche, and scum. The guy got lucky someone signed him and he got the chance to play. At that time it was the Saints, a rebuilding team with weak pieces - McAllister, Bush, player 3, player 4, player 5...and maybe Kyle Turley if I remember right. What Brees is doing to this team is grabbing them in their junk and holding their hands down. The Saints cannot do anything without Brees but like pointed out above they cannot do anything with him.

edit, just screw the rest of what I had - this guy is a prick.

Hmmmmm, where to start? He won a super bowl. He's been one of the leagues best players for 5+ years. He's coming off an nfl record for passing yardage. He got lucky that he's an amazing player? What was pointed out above that showed they can't do anything with him? What are you taking about? He won a super bowl. He set the nfl record for passing yardage last season, in which they were a play away from facing the giants in the NFC title game.

You don't get the all-love for Bree's, I don't get the hate (except some may think he's greedy in this contract situation)

I have never got the all-love relationship with Brees. He's a tool, a douche, and scum. The guy got lucky someone signed him and he got the chance to play. At that time it was the Saints, a rebuilding team with weak pieces - McAllister, Bush, player 3, player 4, player 5...and maybe Kyle Turley if I remember right. What Brees is doing to this team is grabbing them in their junk and holding their hands down. The Saints cannot do anything without Brees but like pointed out above they cannot do anything with him.

edit, just screw the rest of what I had - this guy is a prick.

Seriously, jboys? Wow, who p***ed in your wheaties?

I don't like Brees attitude towards helping retired NFL veterans. I do like a lot of other things Brees has done. He seems like most human beings, some good, some blindspots.

He played well in SD and played better in NO. He's consistently one of the best QB in football, year in and year out. Why doesn't he deserve to get paid? Pay the man!

For the Record they offered Brees a 18-19 million dollar a year contract and he turned it down. It owuld have made him the highest paid player in the NFL. He wants in the the 22 Million dollar a year range. I don't think the Saints can give him what he wants due to their salary cap situation.

Ridiculous. Brees was on a deal of 6 years for 60 Million, that is Fitz money. He won a super bowl for them, he deserves to be the highest paid QB. Hopefully he is cut and Bills pick him up.

The guy was cut from his starting job--prematurely and stupidly, by the way--and led one of the crappiest teams in the league to a trophy; if he wants some security, I don't blame him.

IIRC he was cut due to that nasty injury in the playoffs...while he was playing with the franchise tag. I remember talk of it almost ending his career. I dont know how much hes made since then but I dont blame him for wanting a long term deal. The saints need to sign him.

The Chargers franchised him one year and he got injured. Then they lowballed him on a contract due to his injury and he went to the Aint's. I am sure he doesn't want to be in that position again. He burned up the record book last year and deserves big $. I can see him holding out until he gets the contract he wants.

For the Record they offered Brees a 18-19 million dollar a year contract and he turned it down. It owuld have made him the highest paid player in the NFL. He wants in the the 22 Million dollar a year range. I don't think the Saints can give him what he wants due to their salary cap situation.

Snce Mario Williams is making 20 Million this year, I know you made this up

Exactly and if he were "mr good guy team player" he'd take it right now instead of trying to hold them hostage in their time of need.

Wow a lot of haters in this thread. Nevermind he's the most prolific QB in the league the past several years. And of course the bounty scandal reflects back on him. Jesus you guys are clueless.

+1

Brees was the lynchpin to changing the fortunes of a franchise that spent 40 years in the basement. He's not only the unquestioned leader of the Saints but has been public figure #1 in his city while it recovered from the worst disaster any US city endured in a century. Brees is worth the entire salary cap all by himself for what he has meant to New Orleans.

+1

Brees was the lynchpin to changing the fortunes of a franchise that spent 40 years in the basement. He's not only the unquestioned leader of the Saints but has been public figure #1 in his city while it recovered from the worst disaster any US city endured in a century. Brees is worth the entire salary cap all by himself for what he has meant to New Orleans.

+1

+1

^^^^

This.

Some of you folks are clueless.

:rolleyes:

Snce Mario Williams is making 20 Million this year, I know you made this up

Wrong. Though he's not right either.

Brady and manning (colts deal, negotiated by brees agent) both top out at 18per roughly. The saints allegedly matched that average, but he wants it structured like manning, not Brady. Manning got much more up front than Brady or the saints offer. Due to the cap I think they want to use the coming increases to help fit it, while he obviously wants the cash ASAP in case something happens.

When discussing highest paid, most are pointing to longterm average not a single year though.

Exactly and if he were "mr good guy team player" he'd take it right now instead of trying to hold them hostage in their time of need.

He's been the quiet good guy in this before and almost lost his career. I get why he's hesitant to leave dollars on the table or backload anything.

Ridiculous. Brees was on a deal of 6 years for 60 Million, that is Fitz money. He won a super bowl for them, he deserves to be the highest paid QB. Hopefully he is cut and Bills pick him up.

Yea, and that deal 6 years ago for a guy that couldn't even throw a ball and struggled with his shoulder even into his first season was VERY generous. Salaries changed greatly the last 6 years.

Edited by NoSaint

I kind of agree with 6 pack that him demanding $24-$25 million a year & being the highest paid qb is a little out of line. With that being said, I think him & his agent are looking at it like he totally outplayed his last contract(I think it was 5 years, 10 million per year), delivered the Saints their first super bowl & has the best numbers of any qb in the league over the last 5 years. I think now he wants to be compensated for all that. You would think 18-19 million would be good enough for him though. He is kind of being greedy at this stage of the game.

I kind of agree with 6 pack that him demanding $24-$25 million a year & being the highest paid qb is a little out of line. With that being said, I think him & his agent are looking at it like he totally outplayed his last contract(I think it was 5 years, 10 million per year), delivered the Saints their first super bowl & has the best numbers of any qb in the league over the last 5 years. I think now he wants to be compensated for all that. You would think 18-19 million would be good enough for him though. He is kind of being greedy at this stage of the game.

He's not asking for 24 per for the duration, like manning he wants it front loaded which would put 70m in the first 3 years before dipping down closer to 40m in the last 3. Still 18 per over the contract.