Will Brad Smith be cut?

No he won't but Thigpen prob will

I think this means Brad concentrates on being just a receiver next year

receiver, occasional wild cat, punt returns, occasional direct snap running play, reverses

now that Parrish is gone Smith's value on special teams has sky rocketed

Edited by polish lover

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have already said that Young is being brought in to compete for the Backup job, which means its between him and Thigpen. Fitz is the starter, and Smith is the #3 "Wildcat" QB. They already said that the reason it wasn't used more and Smith didn't shine last year was because of the shorten off season, but they are excited to see what he can do after having a full offseason with him.

I really don't get what people don't understand about this. Smith is not a backup QB. The league changed the rule and they now allow the 3rd QBs roster spot to now be held by a person who can come in and run a wildcat formation for you without having to have your QB on the field in a WR position, and without having to remove the starting QB from the game. Smith is an emergency QB only because he can throw the ball in an emergency or in the wildcat. He isn't going anywhere because he is a versatile weapon in the offence and special teams. The battle is between Thigpen and Young, one will stay, the other will be looking for a new team. They won't be keeping both on the roster

I wouldn't mind seeing him cut to tell you the truth. He brings no value to the game right now and if your only argument is "wildcat" get over it. Wildcat is so played out it's ridiculous and barely even works anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing Brad Smith, Thigpen, Merriman, and Dwan Edwards cut as well.

I think Smith proved himself as a reciever last year. The Bills signed a wr that can throw to play QB in a wild cat. He will line up at WR this year. Young is a QB that can run. I would keep both. Thigpen is a goner. I would think the bills keep three QBs maybe the third going to the practice squad. It will be either Corp or Tanney. Thigpen will be a consultant on a sports show, unless the jets sign him.

it's interesting how rule changes impact a players earning potential e.g., increased pct of touchbacks last year due the shorter kickoff rule really negates brad smiths value, while a guy like Potter probably doesn't have an NFL roster spot if not for the new rule.

I could see Thigpen getting cut, simply because he's making too much money to be a third string QB, especially when the Bills have said they want to develop a QB - and if Tanney, for instance, or Corp?, show any promise during these camps, and if Vince Young shows he can pick up things enough to be a reliable number 2 QB, I definitely see Thigpen getting cut - unless he shows a bunch of improvement.

Thinking about it for just a few minutes, it seems the Bills will have Fitz to run the traditional offense, but when Brad Smith comes in to run the wildcat, which he will, especially with Lee as the QB coach, it makes sense to have Vince Young as another option, because he's so athletic, and is very much a threat to pass it as well as run it. Vince Young - playing competently - with Fred Jackson and Spiller in the backfield, running a sort of wildcat formation, could cause real dilemmas, I'd think, because Vince Young can pass it so much better than Brad Smith could. Now, this is all just rare specialty formations - I can't see the Bills risking running Young often in that type scenario, but occasionally... I just think he would make for a better match, and certainly more upside, than Thigpen.

That's my take. Fitz, Young, and Tanney (unless Thigpen shows a ton of improvement and really shows he can go out on the field and hurt teams - in which case Fitz, Young, Thigpen, with Tanney of the PS)

Edited by sllib olaffub

I don't think it means that B. Smith will necessarily be cut...I think that it means that there will be more competition for the #2 QB and Wildcat option player.

Young could very well be cut if his reported bad attitude resurfaces.

But this certainly makes for a much more interesting training camp. Buddy is firing on all cylinders. We've got free agents, draft picks, undrafted players, and tryout players. Leave no stone unturned...

The competition should be fierce, and may the cream rise to the top.

Young is a better passer than Smith, and a better runner than Thigpen. If he can curtail his behavioral exploits, the Bills may have just gotten a ton better!

I think one of the three: Thiggy, Young or Smith are cut after camp. If Smith can't emerge as a #2 WR my guess is he's gone. Way too expensive to keep. Can't throw. His wildcat was pathetic. Thiggy is prob gone also with Richmond QB as "Emergency QB."

If that's the case, he's as good as gone. He's never been used as a starting WR in the NFL. He's caught 46 passes in the past 4 seasons.

considering the new qb coach inveted the wildcat at arkansas you would have to think smith is going to play . When he was playing last year he seemed to convert a bunch of third and short plays

His wildcat got a first down almost every time on third and short (at least the first half of the season). Just because it wasn't flashy, doesn't mean that it wasn't effective.

those conversions are among the biggest plays of the game, frankly.

None of the bolded statements are true. The Brad Smith Converts 3rd Downs In the Wildcat story is a myth.

Only 40% of the "wildcat" plays were called on 3rd and short (8/20). Smith converted on 3 of those 8 3rd downs. In fact, 2 of his three 3rd down conversions came in the first week and he had no others until week 8.

Overall, he had 7 first downs (3 came on 2nd down) in 20 plays.

Still, if we can find an ST coach who can convince Smith that, even with the "new" kickoff rules (they are really the older ones--without the run-up), it is still legal to run back a kickoff-----he should be fine at doing the only thing he has done really well in the NFL so far.

Cut smith he sucks

+1

I don't get the Smith supporters. For the money we gave him, he was horrible last year. Getting 2 yards on a couple 3rd and 1's isn't reason to keep this guy.

He can'r run, he's can't catch, he can't throw, he can't run routes, he can't return kicks, etc.

People are thinking about cutting Brad for Vince because of wildcat option.....

VINCE YOUNG HAS NOT EVER DONE WILDCAT

Brad still has a lot of value on this team....Thigpen will probably go who is actually more expensive then V. Young.

Agreed provided Vinny is still around by the end of camp.

Cut smith he sucks

He's basically played in situations where the play has been telegraphed. If everyone knows you're going to run, you're likely to get stopped unless you're Jim Brown.

Get original with Smith and/or use him as a wideout and things could change significantly.

B.Smith is an overpaid broken toy. The wildcat was fun when Myami brought it out a few years ago. Now not so much. With My limited VY knowledge I have never seen Vince Young run the wildcat? Did he? Why should we care? He can be a scrambling dangerous running Q-back though.

I liked another poster saying fred can do anything (and way better) than Smith.

Cut Tygpen and Smith and save some coin for some late camp cuts that will happen.

Yes :thumbsup: !! With the acquisition of VY why do you need him ?

We got enough good , young , receivers :worthy: !!

I would trade him for a future pick & do the same with Thigpen !!! Right there you would save about - what $6 mil + ?? :thumbsup:

Edited by T master

Could care less about him playing receiver or not

Never really thought about it but maybe the Jets will take him back for Tebow :thumbsup:

Cut Thigpen instead!! I'm not sold on Vince, but I'm hopeful that he has realized that he needs to let his play do the talking.

Vince gets cut next year and our QBs will be;

1. Fitz

2. Vince

3. Alex Tanney

I think one of the three: Thiggy, Young or Smith are cut after camp. If Smith can't emerge as a #2 WR my guess is he's gone. Way too expensive to keep. Can't throw. His wildcat was pathetic. Thiggy is prob gone also with Richmond QB as "Emergency QB."

How was Smith's wild cat pathetic? Everytime there was a third and short, he got the first down. I believe Chan didn't call it as much because Smith was playing WR and he wanted to give him a break.

How was Smith's wild cat pathetic? Everytime there was a third and short, he got the first down. I believe Chan didn't call it as much because Smith was playing WR and he wanted to give him a break.

See what mean?

neither will be cut. I could honestly see the rookie kid going to PS and the bills keeping VY, Thigpen in the flock with Fitz as starter. If Fitz goes down they'd still have a backup to the backup without having the third string. This team has always had a history of valuing special teams - it's not interesting to see that we have Mark Pike = Corey McIntyre and Steve Tasker = Brad Smith types on this team - then we're going to possibly keep a 2nd kicker. Wow, I really wish the NFL would get smart, give temporary IR players and give teams more activated people for gameday. It'd cut down on injury.

Yup.