Some funny points of view via Twitter on N. Carolina Amend,. 1

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah....I'm sure calling people bigot, for doing nothing other than following their religious teaching, or just their own consciences, will be a real effective way to move the LGBT agenda forward. :rolleyes:

Looks to me like they are sore losers, but I don't blame them. Not today anyway.

Now, if they are still calling people bigot in 2 months...then they are idiots, and deserve what they get.

Some funny stuff there....but 0 convincing stuff. Pretty much par for the course on this. I am wondering who's going to bring up the unintended consequences of a law like this....that's convincing. Why does it ban civil unions, or any other, what I consider, reasonable alternatives? What else is that gonna effect? Moreover, if a Federal law is passed that allows for civil unions, or a Federal court recognizes them...then this whole amendment gets tossed out...and then they have to start all over again. Not smart.

But, I don't expect that from a bunch of smug turds who just got reminded that they are in the minority...by 21 points. Let them continue to be clever...but unconvincing, and increasingly, irrelevant.

Meh. The old people will die and the US will get it right eventually. The trend nationwide is moving quickly in support of gay marriage. It'll happen sooner or later.

My favorite from that list: " If twitter is accurate, North Carolina passed a law that they are ass*&%s."

Edited by John Adams

Let's rewrite our most fundamental of laws, the framework of our state government, over a dispute on where people's penis goes. P in the V only thing recognized yay or nay!?

....yay...

:D ... oh North Carolina. It's ok though let's face though any state where this gets a vote, the vote will almost always go yay...or it wouldn't be getting a vote to begin with.

Edited by TheNewBills

Let's rewrite our most fundamental of laws, the framework of our state government, over a dispute on where people's penis goes. P in the V only thing recognized yay or nay!?

....yay...

:D ... oh North Carolina. It's ok though let's face though any state where this gets a vote, the vote will almost always go yay...or it wouldn't be getting a vote to begin with.

At least this amendment is where it belongs: at the state level. I don't agree with it, but if they want to be idiots they have that right.

At least, they have that right until the courts strike it down as violating the 14th Amendment.

At least this amendment is where it belongs: at the state level. I don't agree with it, but if they want to be idiots they have that right.

At least, they have that right until the courts strike it down as violating the 14th Amendment.

Which they should do.

Dont like North Carolina's marriage laws? Dont live there.

If only people in North Carolina circa 1 week ago took this advice eh?

Interesting breakdown of the vote. Basically, the amendment lost by a large margin in Raleigh (the Triangle) and Charlotte but won in the 93 other counties.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapitol/blogpost/11079387/

While it's been over 20 years since I was there, I spent 3 years in Raleight/RTP and three years in McDowell County, and it's hard to imagine anyone from NC being surprised by this map.

Interesting breakdown of the vote. Basically, the amendment lost by a large margin in Raleigh (the Triangle) and Charlotte but won in the 93 other counties.

http://www.wral.com/...gpost/11079387/

Nationwide, Dems and Independents support gay marriage...Repubs oppose. Old people against. Young for.

The demographics of those for and against are in no way surprising.

....shocking...

We Yankee transplants are the only factor that even made it as close as it was.

Nationwide, Dems and Independents support gay marriage...Repubs oppose. Old people against. Young for.

Not at all surprising, just interesting.

Also saw a stat saying the majority of black districts supported the Amendment. Kind of ironic if you ask me but...that's just me....

Edited by TheNewBills

Also saw a stat saying the majority of black districts supported the Amendment. Kind of ironic if you ask me but...that's just me....

I read a lefty political article a couple of days ago arguing that this is the reason Obama doesn't have the nutsack to come out of the closet in favor of gay marriage. It is apparently overwhelming opposed by blacks. I'll try to find the article because the numbers were pretty surprising to me.

Until I see scientifically supported data...I am not going to listen to demographic speculation.

Regarding the due process, 14th etc., that's why I don't get the ban on civil unions in this thing. They are basically giving the other side an excuse to sue, and giving them standing.

You would think they would learn the lesson about over-reach given the recent history of it in DC.

If you are about protecting marriage, then protect it. Something that isn't marriage shouldn't be on your radar. This is the same flawed, emotional outburst, scorched earth-type of stuff that got the "we WILL redefine marriage, we will rub your nose in it, and if you dare challenge us we will call you a bigot" people in trouble last time around.

You shouldn't strut. You shouldn't look to rub noses in it. It pisses people off, who otherwise wouldn't be that bothered.

North Carolina lifted their ban on interracial marriages in 1971 - well within the memory of many black voters.

So...more than "kind of". :wallbash:

I read a lefty political article a couple of days ago arguing that this is the reason Obama doesn't have the nutsack to come out of the closet in favor of gay marriage. It is apparently overwhelming opposed by blacks. I'll try to find the article because the numbers were pretty surprising to me.

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the CA 2008 amendment vote. Shows blacks as 70% opposed. One of the largest "Against" demographic slices, after only Republicans and White Republicans.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1

I expected a higher number from Latinos cuz they love their baby Jesus.

That's probably part of the reason why blacks are so against it, not to mention that black "culture" is extremely abrasive towards homosexuals.

In 2006, in Virginia, with a similarly worded marriage amendment, the people approved it by a vote of 57 percent to 42 percent. Six years later, in a similar southern swing state, the people approved it by an even larger margin 61 to 39 percent.

Progress.

In 2006, in Virginia, with a similarly worded marriage amendment, the people approved it by a vote of 57 percent to 42 percent. Six years later, in a similar southern swing state, the people approved it by an even larger margin 61 to 39 percent.

Progress.

Or...a different state.

Maybe it's just the White Black culture that will accept gay marriage.

Young people....don't forget young people...:rolleyes:

You mean to say young White Black culture....because, you know, it's not like young people don't tend to vote more conservatively as they get older, or anything.

Yeah, this gay marriage thing will be reality in 10 years....because of the young White Black people.

I don’t think we’ve had a boycott of an entire state in a while.

California was boycotted over Prop. 8, and so was Utah because it has a lot of Mormons. There also was a Mormon boycott, a boycott of a hotel whose owner supported Prop. 8, and a boycott of gays going to work for a day.

California also boycotted Arizona over SB 1070. And Connecticut for electing Joe Lieberman.

None those worked out very well.

So let’s try North Carolina:

The pro-hate vote in North Carolina is despicable, a throwback to the evil days of the past when “state’s rights” was used to support every form of bigotry, ignorance and hatred that came down the pike.

Don’t get sad. Get angry. So now, fight back. Hit them where it counts. In the wallet.

And it can easily be done.

Daily Kos

Actually, no it can’t be easily done to a whole state.

I can't imagine young people are about to change their minds and be against gay marriage by age 40. That's like saying, in the 60s, you expected young people who were for interracial marriage would grow up and be against it later in life.

Younger people are just more tolerant of homosexuality. That's not something older people (generally) ever were. That's the change that's coming.

It's just a matter of time before we put this embarrassing chapter behind us.

Edited by John Adams

I don’t think we’ve had a boycott of an entire state in a while.

California was boycotted over Prop. 8, and so was Utah because it has a lot of Mormons. There also was a Mormon boycott, a boycott of a hotel whose owner supported Prop. 8, and a boycott of gays going to work for a day.

California also boycotted Arizona over SB 1070. And Connecticut for electing Joe Lieberman.

None those worked out very well.

So let’s try North Carolina:

Daily Kos

Actually, no it can’t be easily done to a whole state.

Y'know what would be really funny? If the Democrats planned to hold their convention in NC. And it would be even funnier if they planned to hold it at the Bank of America stadium.

Oh, wait.

And a note to those nutjobs who are seemingly so surprised and upset by this vote: if California didn't approve gay marriage, what in the holy hell makes you stupid enough to think North Carolina would?

Y'know what would be really funny? If the Democrats planned to hold their convention in NC. And it would be even funnier if they planned to hold it at the Bank of America stadium.

Oh, wait.

That's !@#$ing awesome. :lol:

I can't imagine young people are about to change their minds and be against gay marriage by age 40. That's like saying, in the 60s, you expected young people who were for interracial marriage would grow up and be against it later in life.

Younger people are just more tolerant of homosexuality. That's not something older people (generally) ever were. That's the change that's coming.

Yeah....cases of laws and rights.....rights of the state.....civil rights.......playing out and being determined using the mechanisms put in place in the Constitution by our Founding Fathers.

An embarrassing chapter, indeed.

Yeah....cases of laws and rights.....rights of the state.....civil rights.......playing out and being determined using the mechanisms put in place in the Constitution by our Founding Fathers.

If you require the government to enforce the tenets of your religion than your beliefs must be pretty fragile.

Yup. The system can be used for good, and bad. In this case, it's bad and the future will agree. Unless we're ruled by mullahs in 50 years.

I think we are getting this wrong. There is nothing wrong with the Christians who follow their religion. It is good and it's teachings are good. It is the extremist Christians that are a political movement. They don't like our freedom......oh, wait.......

Embarrasing, indeed. I still have yet to hear an intelligent, persuasive argument against legalizing gay marriage. It always comes down to "my invisible friend in the sky says it's wrong in his big book of Middle Eastern fairytales. Plus two dudes kissing is just !@#$ing gross."

Embarrasing, indeed. I still have yet to hear an intelligent, persuasive argument against legalizing gay marriage. It always comes down to "my invisible friend in the sky says it's wrong in his big book of Middle Eastern fairytales. Plus two dudes kissing is just !@#$ing gross."

"Gay people will abuse the system by marrying so they can get health benefits...it will bankrupt the (government/biz world)" is one that's come up here. You know, because heteros have not had that opportunity.

"Let's just leave marriage to man-woman and call homosexual commitment something else because my book/god says that's an OK compromise." Because that makes any sense to legislate that kind of difference in treatment.

We'll get there. It's not a pressing issue but it does make all the people against look bigoted and stupid. Yes OC, bigoted.

"Gay people will abuse the system by marrying so they can get health benefits...it will bankrupt the (government/biz world)" is one that's come up here. You know, because heteros have not had that opportunity.

"Let's just leave marriage to man-woman and call homosexual commitment something else because my book/god says that's an OK compromise." Because that makes any sense to legislate that kind of difference in treatment.

We'll get there. It's not a pressing issue but it does make all the people against look bigoted and stupid. Yes OC, bigoted.

Gays somehow "destroy the sanctity of marriage" but Kim Kardashian doesn't?